Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Nanny or Nannie

(123 Posts)
Rosie21 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:00:16

I always said I wouldn't be called Granny or Grandma but I wanted to be 'Nannie'. Now comes the English Teacher in me, spelling. I have chosen to be 'Nannie'. My thinking that it would differentiate me from a Nanny (paid). Any thoughts on being a 'y' or 'ie'?
What other term of endearment do your grandchildren use? brew

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Nov-16 15:24:39

I'm not the best person to answer. I'm Nana to mine, but am thinking of discreetly changing my own spelling, having just got back from Malta and hearing that their word for grandmother is Nanna with two ns, as in Terribull's post above. All my three are under four, so none of them have written it yet grin

DGS1 has always called me Nana Maggie, which I love.

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Nov-16 15:29:25

I do wish nurseries would make a note of us grandparents' names though. Whenever I collect him and they trill "Grandma's here to collect you", DGS2 is completely confused, looking for his other grandmother hiding behind me!

Liz46 Wed 16-Nov-16 15:35:23

I'm pleased that you started this Rosie as I was thinking about posting about the spelling of Nanna/Nana. I always called my GM Nanna and I wanted to be Nanna to my GC but I notice the spelling on cards is often Nana.

I think the children have unknowingly solved the problem as I notice they seem to call me Nan.

Juney64 Wed 16-Nov-16 18:20:00

I'm Granny Smith! Nice, eh? Son thinks it's hilarious. GC is only 4 months. Think I'll put in a name change request.

HootyMcOwlface Wed 16-Nov-16 18:25:39

Check what spellings they use on cards as otherwise your grandchildren will never be able to find one for you!

Thingmajig Wed 16-Nov-16 18:48:36

I'm Gran as my opposite number is Granny. Due to the wee one's delayed speech though I'm actually "Ham" ... no idea why as Grandad is Gaga with a very pronounced G! smile

My Mum's first name is Nana and we use to torment her that we'd get our offspring just to call her by name ... she became Gran eventually and now Great-gran. grin

silverlining48 Wed 16-Nov-16 19:55:39

My mum was Nannie and mother in law nanny, sounds the same so my mum became Nannie Oma. I got in early as I didn't want to be Nannie/y. I am grandma, surname begins with gr... so it trips off the tongue. I wouldn't mind granny or gran later, it still works with the surname.

It is confusing though when a stranger or even a friend refers to me as Nannie
To the children they look around for their paternal granny, who is nanny, and see me.

What with nanny, Nannie, nana, nana, granny, grandma, gran or even grand mama... there's plenty of choice.

cornergran Wed 16-Nov-16 21:00:51

I'm a Nanna, prefer it to Nanny/ie, although that was what I called my own grandmothers and our children called my Mum as no matter the spelling they do remind me of a goat blush. I now sort of wish I had followed the lead of my daughter in law's Mum who waited to see what her first grandchild instinctively called her as that is so personal. I truly don't think it matters as long as there is love between a grandchild and their grandparent.

Jomarie Wed 16-Nov-16 22:36:49

I'm Granny by choice as my own Granny was so lovely I just wanted to try to give my grandchildren the same warm feeling she gave me. My own mother waited for the first grandchild to name her and he chose "Gogo" which stuck for all the following (numerous) grandchildren! Lots of explaining to teachers and many raised eyebrows (this was the late 60's/early 70's) Ah well, she liked to be different - mission accomplished. grin

Katek Wed 16-Nov-16 22:39:30

I'm Nanna-never liked Nanny as I just think about nanny goats!

trueblue22 Wed 16-Nov-16 23:39:18

I'm granny. My mother was grandma to her GC and I thought it sounded too formal.

Bellanonna Wed 16-Nov-16 23:57:20

I chose Granny. My first grandchild chose Gaga, and that's how I've stayed. I love it.

Aslemma Thu 17-Nov-16 01:57:45

I was always Grandma when my GCs were little but this has now been shortened to Gran with the older ones. I always called my grandmother Nanny and Grandad was Pa. My second son is called Pop by his girlfriend's grandchildren. My problem now is that one of my grandsons is with a lady who has two children already so I will probably end up as a step great-grandmother. I think I will settle for a straightforward GG with them. smile

absent Thu 17-Nov-16 03:50:40

My eldest grandchild decided I was Granna, so that's who I am to all six of them.

hildajenniJ Thu 17-Nov-16 09:34:32

I'm with trueblue. I'm Granny. My own grandmothers were Granny and Nana. I chose to be Granny as, when the DGC came along they had lots of grandparents and great grandparents, and my DD thought we should all be named differently so that the children knew who was who.

GrammaH Thu 17-Nov-16 10:21:44

Like Rebekka with 2 ks for instance, when it's said, you can't tell how nannie/Nanny is spelt, so who cares? ! I am, if course, Gramma & DH is Graffa - don't know where he got that from!

Disgruntled Thu 17-Nov-16 10:26:15

My daughter gave me first dibs when the first was born and I chose Granny and the other one wanted to be called Nan. However first born, and therefore everyone else, calls me JJ, which I love. And the other one is called Nanpen.

jhallcaroline Thu 17-Nov-16 10:29:31

I started off being called Nanny by my first grandson and then his brother. The first one is now over 26. Then we had a granddaughter who is now 8. When she learned to speak she saw her paternal grandmother first and she was Nanny. When it came to me being Nanny too, I was renamed MoreNanny by her as she found it less confusing! Her little brother uses these names for us now too. I love them all so much I don't mind what they call me. X

sue01 Thu 17-Nov-16 10:33:02

I'm Grandma to mine.

When they were first born and my parents were still alive, we asked what they would like to be called.

My Father wanted to be called by his first name, and my Mother too. Her first name was Sylvia... but as babies they couldn't quite manage that, so she became Silver to her Great Grandchildren. smile

Blinko Thu 17-Nov-16 10:34:54

Collecting my DGD from school one day, her teacher handed her over with the words, 'Here's your Granny', to which she replied, 'No, that's Grandma!' Her other GP is Granny. Just so long as we know...

littlefierce Thu 17-Nov-16 10:35:57

I'm Nana. Struggled at first as my mum was Nana & her mum too, it felt like their name not mine. Not fond of 'nicknames' in place of Grandma or Nana, fine if it happens naturally but to choose one over the traditional choices smacks of being in denial to me :D

Blinko Thu 17-Nov-16 10:36:01

sue01, love Silver!

Grandmalove Thu 17-Nov-16 10:37:56

I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to be called. My daughter did not want two grandmas as that could be confusing so the other one is Grandma. I am Nannan which my son in law came up with as he was talking to the new baby in hospital. I love it as it is so different.

jogette Thu 17-Nov-16 10:38:12

I'm Grammie which is the best of both words

Lupatria Thu 17-Nov-16 10:40:40

i wanted to be granny pat but as my first grandaughter couldn't pronounce it when she was little i've become pannypat! and i'm now pannypat to four lovely girls.
i love my name as it's personal to our family and, even at almost 15, my first grandaughter still calls me that.
i feel truly special.