Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Will politics ruin our Christmas?

(89 Posts)
pancakes Wed 30-Nov-16 16:01:56

I've been burying my head in the sand a bit on this but with December beginning tomorrow should probably face my fears. Christmas is to be spent in a big family gathering as usual. But this year I am seriously worried about arguments ruining the whole shebang. Brexit has revealed huge divisions within our family, and created a lot of bitterness which we have tried to heal but I fear it's only plasters over the cracks. My own view is that what's done is done and we are stuck with it whether we like it or not so let's move on. But that's not stopped blame being thrown around along with all sorts of accusations and I worry that it's all so raw a bust-up is unavoidable, especially when a few drinks have been downed. Anyone else in this position? And how can I stop politics from ruining my Christmas?

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:51:07

I like it! it keeps the b b theme going.

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 12:48:50

British sprouts? grin

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:44:30

What shall we call them from now on......

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:43:43

I think I could live eithout them ( quite happily!)

Ana Sat 07-Jan-17 12:36:48

We'll just have to grow our own. They probably won't let us call them 'Brussels' sprouts though...

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:33:52

Do you have any inside info on this Mumsy ? grin

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:32:28

Of course, out of spite, the EU may well hoard Brussels sprouts from now on and refuse to let us have them! They may say 'let them eat turnips!' grin

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:30:40

There was talk of a shortage of sprouts this year ( the rumour mill) but there were loads everywhere that we looked.

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:29:27

We saw all the family over Christmas, all voted differently in the referendum but keep thoughts to ourselves, and at Christmas certainly never discuss politics.
At other times, politics talk may be on the cards, but done in a civil way.

rosesarered Sat 07-Jan-17 12:26:39

Sprouts?

Mumsy Sat 07-Jan-17 09:16:44

Why will Christmas 2017 be different after Brexit? .....no Brussels....

Ankers Mon 19-Dec-16 00:29:10

Why would I want to spend precious time with people who could possibly vote for Trump? Life is too short

So, even if a person was just a possible Trump supporter, they are to be avoided?

Jalima Sun 18-Dec-16 23:34:53

Why would anybody - anybody - want to spend the festive season discussing politics with their nearest and dearest?

Unbelievable!

BlueBelle Sun 18-Dec-16 23:04:33

I think you would be surprised how many people are even avoiding Family Christmas s because of Brexit Thankfully I m spending it with my eldest daughter and our politics are identical we are both passionate remainers so that will be fine I would have to have a no politics rule if it wasn't the case as I do have strong opinions and couldn't sit quietly on my hands if an arguement started

granjura Sun 18-Dec-16 22:48:39

Why would I want to spend precious time with people who could possibly vote for Trump? Life is too short.

Jalima Sun 18-Dec-16 13:22:49

I think ChristineFrance's idea of a charity box is a good one - all over the festive period!

Any mention of politics and a sum of money (enough to mean something!) has to be put into the box and the culprit is sent off for a long walk on his or her own.

Ana Sun 18-Dec-16 13:14:24

Some people just don't seem to be able to help themselves, though, do they? It must be because they're so convinced only their opinion is the right one! hmm

Jalima Sun 18-Dec-16 13:08:29

Surely a family can spend Christmas with loved ones without mentioning politics?

If people can't manage to keep their opinions to themselves over what is a time of peace and love without antagonising family members then they are not worth bothering with at any time; they can't be a very loving family.

People should have respect for the views of family members even if they don't agree with them and manage some self-control over the festive period.

shock

jollyg Sun 18-Dec-16 12:48:53

We succucmb to the goading of gransnet, and their posts.

Any post by Cari or whoever will not get a response from me.

I find them demeaning of my intelligence and just sick in engineering more posts from the fora.

granjura Sun 18-Dec-16 12:39:26

For the first time ever, my cousins in the USA did not meet up for Thanks Giving- because they just could not face it as some of them are staunch Trump supporters and have been boasting ever since about how much better their financial portfolio has been since- and how pleased they are they won't have to participate in the cost of healthcare for the poor, and how delighted they have got rid of a Muslim President from Kenya who is an AlQuaida spy ... I couldn't either- as much as I love my cousin and her OH as people. Will probably never meet them again.

granjura Sun 18-Dec-16 12:06:44

I don't think I know anyone who has NOT had a discussion about this since the vote.

LaraGransnet is asking a perfectly interesting and topical question. I for one am really pleased there are certain members of our family we will not be sharing Christmas with- both on the Brexit or the Trump issue.

Even if we make a deliberate decision NOT to discuss this, not to engage about it, we know that some members of our family would make it impossible to avoid and goad, directly, or indirectly- until we would have to quietly leave- or it woulde become unpleasant. Because, as the article Maisie has posted earlier- there are a lot of very angry and vociferous 'winners' leavers out there- and with views which we just could not ignore (racism- despite them saying that what they are saying is not... and that they are not racist because they know one Mexican or one black man- so there).

Ankers Sun 18-Dec-16 07:57:29

I dont think I know anyone in rl who has had a discussion about this since July.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 17-Dec-16 20:58:17

Oh dear headquarters, I think you've just made a massive booboo.

stillaliveandkicking Sat 17-Dec-16 20:43:01

Why would anyone at headquarters want to stir things? Even more bizarre. It was a democratic vote!

stillaliveandkicking Sat 17-Dec-16 20:35:38

I voted out and there will be no arguments over it at Christmas. How bizarre.