Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

(157 Posts)
cheneslieges132 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:04:35

I am struggling with an intensely sad problem ... for over 26 years I have been Best Friends with a lady who lived next door to me on a new estate, when I came back from living in France in 1989. She moved 300 miles away 8 years ago, as her daughter wanted to have her living near her, in case her mother ever fell etc etc. I miss her such a lot. She was a soul-mate. We were more than best friends, in fact, we were like sisters and I treated her so very well with a huge amount of help all the time I have known her, because she was very poor, had no job or money, and latterly her health was not good (several serious problems over the last four years). Whatever she needed I would give her willingly, including four paid-for holidays in France (I still have a 2nd home there) and even an electric blanket when she came out of hospital a while ago. Just out of curiosity, I compiled a list for myself of gifts I have given her over the years, and there were more than 40 really wonderful things, including jewellery. My problem is this: 2 years ago we decided mutually not to ever buy each other token Christmas/birthday presents - however, on my birthday last August, she sent me a pair of "Disney" themed pyjamas. They were miles too small for me, and I texted her to kindly let her know, and said I would post them back so that she could get her money back. It all went pear-shaped, and she since then has totally cut me out of her life. She will not speak to me or send text messages any more, she even flatly refused to accept a huge bouguet of gorgeous flowers I sent her via Interflora. The girl who tried to deliver them was very upset (I spoke to Interflora to discover what had happened).
After all those years when were almost inseparable, and such very, very good friends, I am completely destroyed by this. I have tried ever since last August to come to terms with this, but it is terrible. I cannot sleep properly, I wake up crying, and have had many really dreadful nightmares.
Can anyone explain what seems to have happened?
I have attempted to contact her daughter, and she will not speak to me either. I am slowly going mad with worry.

FarNorth Tue 03-Jan-17 10:55:38

Then people might have said "Oh well, maybe you got it wrong but have a hug anyway."

It looks like you actually wanted us to tell you how to get your friend to be as friendly as before, which we obviously can't do, sorry.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Jan-17 06:16:10

Unfortunately your story has now changed so much that it actually makes the original post obsolete You really can't expect us to be mind readers

Your friend moved away 8 years ago she made a mistake as to what she sent you as a present, we now know you have talked with her amicable over a number of texts Is that not the end of it ? .......
So why then did you send flowers as an apology Apology for what? Presumably more must have happened than you have told us

Telling us we can't read when you have given us a muddled version is not very nice i think we have all given fair advice which is what you asked for there is no point in 'there there have some flowers' if you are asking for advice Maybe you should have said I m not looking for any answers but need a hug then you would have got lots of empathy
I hope you can put this behind you and find some new friends

Jalima Tue 03-Jan-17 00:06:27

I meant 'if you won't try looking at it from another's point of view' etc

Jalima Mon 02-Jan-17 20:03:35

You are all so very, very wrong in your judgemental attitudes towards me. You have totally misread my original post (I did NOT in fact actually return the gift of Pyjamas)

I think many of us tried to see things objectively which I assume posters thought would be helpful to you in finding out what went wrong - which is what you asked in your OP.
If you do try look at it from another's point of view, which is what posters were helping you to do, then there is no point in asking for opinions.

Anya Mon 02-Jan-17 09:46:19

roses was it the totally uncalled-for use of the phrase 'who calls herself' that was the clue? wink

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 22:49:05

I think it is onset demnetia. The fact that she sent you pyjamas with a disney pattern on and much too small sounds as if she has got her presents mixed up

Confused perhaps,although I think Disney PJs could be very nice, but not evidence of dementia.. Perhaps she had wrapped up two presents and simply mixed them up. Or misread the label (age 12 understood as SIZE 12)
Anyway this saga no longer seems quite as cut and dried as OP intended.
And sadly it reflects less well on OP than on her erstwhile friend.

Jalima Sun 01-Jan-17 22:48:19

I think there has been some very sensible advice given on here.

Time to find new friends, widen your horizons and perhaps offer help and your energy to local charities?
Your friend moved 8 years ago and I think that it is time to move on.

rosesarered Sun 01-Jan-17 22:44:08

in fact, more than a bit.grin

rosesarered Sun 01-Jan-17 22:37:21

to say that only one person has responded favourably is simply untrue.Now I am a bit suspicious about the whole thing....

Anya Sun 01-Jan-17 21:36:40

Margaret I love my Mini Mouse PJs [offended emoji]

Anya Sun 01-Jan-17 21:35:15

Has the OP perhaps put on weight in the x number of years since her friend last saw her? That might account for the PJs being too small hmm

Ana Sun 01-Jan-17 18:39:14

Exactly. The information about the number of texts that were exhanged does change the picture. Who knows what else has been kept back?

I don't think the friend has dementia. Poor woman!

FarNorth Sun 01-Jan-17 18:27:55

Maybe the text messages were less friendly than you imagined, as you couldn't hear the tone of voice?

Maybe the mention of gin was some sort a sarcastic joke?

We can't possibly know and you don't seem to know either, so we can't really help you with "what went wrong".

MargaretX Sun 01-Jan-17 17:50:51

I think it is onset demnetia. The fact that she sent you pyjamas with a disney pattern on and much too small sounds as if she has got her presents mixed up.

Of course you mst miss her terribly, but how she used to be. It could be thst you would find it hard to get on with her now. My best friend has dementia - just beginning and I have to be very careful with what I say.

Jaycee5 Sun 01-Jan-17 17:20:00

Daphne. I agree. I don't think we all misunderstood the information as originally given and there does seem to be a lack of self awareness and empathy. One or two comments were a bit harsh but I wouldn't have said nasty and most just tried to give a point of view. Having been at the receiving end of Generosity that I was discouraged from reciprocating, I find it hard to be sympathetic.

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 12:45:04

totally misread my original post (I did NOT in fact actually return the gift of Pyjamas) - the subject was discussed via various text messages between us, but never in fact took place. My friend actually suggested sending them back or exchanging them
It is hard to follow a story which changes.
This was not the original version, and unsurprisingly, cheneslieges we CAN read and if you ask "can anyone tell me what went wrong?" You can't be surprised at honest answers.
If on the other hand you wanted a pat on the shoulder and a "there, there", well that was unlikely to happen given the original version of the story.
If it was all amicable (texts, suggestions of gin etc etc) then I fail to understand the problem.

Anya Sun 01-Jan-17 12:28:44

chenes jefm

Jayanna9040 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:14:06

It is hard when replies don't seem to get how you feel. Believe me I know! But I think you have to take on board that if a lot of people feel that your friend would have been upset at your actions, then there is a possibility that is how your friend felt too. Maybe? I took on board what posters said about a friendship that I thought had come to an end, swallowed my hurt and, let's face it my indignation, behold, we are friends again?

cheneslieges132 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:04:28

Totally, utterly wrong. You obviously cannot read. This happened in August last year, 2 days before my birthday.

cheneslieges132 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:03:12

To the vast majority of harsh and unfriendly posters on my situation. You are all so very, very wrong in your judgemental attitudes towards me. You have totally misread my original post (I did NOT in fact actually return the gift of Pyjamas) - the subject was discussed via various text messages between us, but never in fact took place. My friend actually suggested sending them back or exchanging them for a "bottle of gin" for my upcoming holiday. I am NOT going to add anything further to this unhappy situation, as I am deeply upset by all your vicious and unhelpful comments. Only ONE person posting on this Site has come near to the true understanding - my heartfelt thanks go out to a kind lady who calls herself jefm

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Jan-17 09:55:33

I would not have returned a present in those circumstances but charity shop it.

It is a rather rude thing to do. It does sound to me as if you might be considered to be flaunting your money when she is a lot less well off. In general to send a friend expensive gifts if you know they cannot afford to reciprocate is rather unkind to them.

As for being "harsh to other posters" you can "wrap up" how you feel about someone else's very "unhelpful actions" in a situation, but if someone has not seen that the "unhelpful action" was not a sensible thing to do in the first place then they may need it spelling out much more clearly.

annodomini Sun 01-Jan-17 09:33:30

Your friend has been gone for 8 years now. She may have been quite relieved to leave what sounds like a cloying and quite probably demeaning relationship. Her gift to you was well-intentioned and an attempt to redress the balance and you have simply humiliated her by your reaction.
Today is a new year, time to let go of this friendship and find satisfaction in new activities.

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 08:49:36

confused???

Lovey Sat 31-Dec-16 23:40:35

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. Gifts for all occasions is brilliant. I've no idea what went wrong, Bob's your Uncle.

Luckylegs9 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:59:20

I know the gift shouldn't have been sent back, but what a shame for that poor florist to have her flowers refused. No consideration for the florists feelings there. It is puzzling to just recall the gifts given, if they were too much her, her friend should have said something, also why on earth cannot her daughter just answer a straightforward question and say what went wrong, because whatever happened Chenin knows she was over the top but does love her friend. I think that is quite callous of the daughter. I hope she can move on and not beat herself up, she is hurting enough. Try not to make the same mistakes again, but who has not made a mistake, so let it go now if you can, obviously a kind and generous person who just went over the top.