Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lone Holidays abroad

(83 Posts)
Caramac Fri 30-Dec-16 08:55:28

Hello All
My resolution for 2017 is to do more of what I want. I have never been abroad and although my husband travelled a lot before we met, he no longer seems interested and always has an excuse as to why we can't go.
I am thinking of an organised trip alone where there are some excursions as I want to do more than just read by a pool, happy to do that some of the time
I do have some specific dietary needs but not difficult to meet
Any suggestions as to travel companies and destinations.
Thanks all and Happy New Year smile

annifrance Thu 05-Jan-17 13:24:30

Poor shanma, it must be difficult to live with yourself being so mean spirited and judgemental. Or do we think she is a Paragon of Virtue and her views will be missed?

GN is great for info on lots of things, I have picked up some really useful tips and links. and nice to have a rant sometimes, especially now we can't get British television so I can't shout at Question Time, it's not the same shouting at the radio.

Happy and Kind New Year Everyone.

storynanny Tue 03-Jan-17 16:24:37

Just coming back to say it was One Traveller my exh recommends

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Jan-17 16:05:07

Lots of useful info HERE too

trisher Tue 03-Jan-17 15:49:54

I so agree wot sometimes you just want to be alone and appreciate things. caramac if you do book a holiday and don't want to do a singles one you could look at hotels that offer supervised leisure activities. When I used to holiday with my mum who was in her eighties I used these a lot. I played boules, did archery, did a painting session and lots of other things while she just rested. I think joining these things on my own probably helped me take the next step to holidaying on my own.

grannypiper Mon 02-Jan-17 19:01:34

Go for it caramac, one great place for your first foray alone would be the santo tomas hotel, santo tomas, menorca, peaceful, safe and very friendly, great place for a book by the pool holiday, no children and no loud music by the pool all day everyday un like some hotels.

Nvella Mon 02-Jan-17 10:19:39

I went to Italy with One Traveller this year. They were very well organised and everything was included. They also "shuffled" people around for dinner each night so that everyone had a chance to get to know others.

wot Sun 01-Jan-17 23:25:55

Although not having anyone to share the sights with is lonely, travelling alone gives you a wonderful sense of freedom. No worries about boring a partner with my love of museums and clothes shops!! People don't really notice you when you're on your own. I think I would be more embarrassed in a singles group as people would be trying to get you to join them at meals etc.I like to be invisible!!

Granof11 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:48:27

I was pleased to find this thread; have holidayed alone many times, although somewhat constrained as to choice due to budget. However I'm definitely going to spend time exploring some of the websites mentioned. Happy New Year to all.

Jayanna9040 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:36:26

Let me tell you about my Vietnam photos. There are lots of boats, there are lots of temples, there are lots of people on motorbikes ...llIm determined to keep this thread on track?

f77ms Sun 01-Jan-17 11:35:41

I think shanma meant to post on New years resolutions thread . Maybe a bit too much celebrating last night grin

Elegran Sun 01-Jan-17 11:08:24

Is Shamna hoping to be the first deleted post of 2017?

Jayanna9040 Sun 01-Jan-17 10:23:44

Hah. Family have limited me to 50 pictures on any one travel. Try not to bore people by keeping it to twenty...........

DaphneBroon Sun 01-Jan-17 10:14:04

Quite why Shanma's latest rant is on this thread is a mystery to me, but clearly something needed venting (spleen?)
Ah well, I hope those who venture on holiday on their own for whatever reason, have a wonderful time and have a pic or two to show afterwards ??

Anya Sun 01-Jan-17 09:56:16

Last time Elegran and I were the subject of her angst. Now it's everyone on GN grin

Just being a Grumpy Old Woman perhaps? Though there was a mysterious letter that was Doom and Gloom if my memory serves me correct.

Jane10 Sun 01-Jan-17 09:43:38

I thought Shanma had flounced ages ago. Whatever.

Barmyoldbat Sun 01-Jan-17 08:50:05

Shanma all I can say is that you have either got out of bed the wrong side this morning or you are a lone, sad, anti social person. To be quite honest I have seen some of your postings and I find you lacking in compassion and will not miss you. To the rest of you long may gn continue so we have the the odd rant. Happy New Year everyone

Barmyoldbat Sun 01-Jan-17 08:45:54

Caramac, my present husband and I lived together for a great many years never had a long holiday together as we both wanted to go to different countries (we got married the year we both decided to go to the same place!). Anyway, I was into walking and went with Explore and Exodus. They do some very lvery low grade walks if that is what you need and believe me it was quite suitable for a lone woman. Good luck.

Lovey Sat 31-Dec-16 23:11:03

Viking River Cruises are nice.

Shanma Sat 31-Dec-16 22:22:45

My new years resolution is to not bother with GN anymore. The few days I didn't log in as I had too much going on was actually calming to me. Reading all this rubbish on here, People pretending they actually give a stuff about others whom they do not even know makes me feel sick to my stomach.
The way they say someone is a LOVELY Lady if this so called lovely person just happens to agree with them. Whingeing and wining, and dirty linen washed in public over and over again, and folks getting their knickers in a twist if someone puts an apostrophe in the wrong place, or God forbid happens to disagree with one of the clique.
As for the person who started this, and Mumsnet too, a medal?? for what? for coming up with a great money making idea and laughing all the way to the bank.
Well I suspect if I logged onto GN at any given time during the coming years that I would see the same old twaddle as I have seen so far, written by the same old posters. Get a life and stop thinking that the people who post on here are your Friends.They are not.

Caretaker Sat 31-Dec-16 22:07:33

We were on a Fred Olsen cruise ship in June and talking to a farmer who was on the holiday alone he told us he and his wife work together 50 weeks of the year but always have two weeks holiday doing their own thing. He loves cruising holidays and his wife loves hiking holidays.

ajanela Sat 31-Dec-16 19:15:09

I went on a HF holiday on my own and we all sat together on round tables. A holiday involving a hobby with HF would be good.
Not sure where you live but practice with a coach trip with an over night stay, maybe a London theatre visit. Or a day trip to somewhere you want to see without your husband.

Jayanna9040 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:09:50

granh1, Explore are my favourites. Glad you enjoyed your trip with them?

granh1 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:53:39

Have you a special interest? I like birds watching, but mu husband doesn't. I have been with Speyside wildlife and found them very friendly. There are lots of special interest holidays out there, art, photography, literature. walking, bridge and a joint interest is a real ice breaker. If you are active, try Explore, I went with them last year on a wildlife adventure holiday - excellent!.
Be brave and try - it will be worth it!

1974cookie Sat 31-Dec-16 17:53:39

Dear Caramac.

You go for it Girl ??⛴ ? ✈️
Make 2017 the Year that you do what you have long dreamed of doing.
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today !!
There may not be a tomorrow.
Don't forget to post your adventures on Gransnet smile

ElaineRI55 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:39:09

It sounds like there are lots of options available, so hopefully you'll find something suitable and have a great time. It will probably be even better if you can ensure you're doing it for positive reasons now,choose something you'll really enjoy and don't go with unresolved hurt between you and your D(or otherwise)H. You will no doubt come back with practical experiences/solutions which will address his reservations/concerns ( which could actually have been based on not-very-well expressed concerns for your comfort & safety). All the best for a great holiday wherever you decide to go and for many more - perhaps with a willing, happy DH in tow!