Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Similar forums to GN

(18 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 10-Jan-17 23:08:33

I joined BBC Gardeners World forum, which is, obviously, mainly about gardening. There is lots of very valuable advice, ideas and such like but they also have chat rooms.
It really is good if you like your garden have a look.
The site is not the easiest to navigate but you can learn.
You end up with a lot of wisdom and advice from a range of more experienced people and you can get that info easily by posting a potential problem. You can learn so much from more experienced people.
There is some plain silliness as well it is not at all stuffy.

BettyB Tue 10-Jan-17 22:40:39

Grandparents.com

JackyB Tue 03-Jan-17 11:52:52

I had a look at the sixtyandme link that cangran recommends. They try to keep it general, but it is based in Canada or the US as far as I can see. But it covers a huge variety of relevant topics. I may go back there again.

grannylyn65 Tue 03-Jan-17 11:37:00

?

Greyduster Tue 03-Jan-17 11:25:21

The only other forum I am on is a fly fishing forum. If you think us grans can go in for handbags at dawn, you should hear the blokes when they get going! Other than these occasional fisticuffs, it is normally humorous and replete with sage advice - just like Gransnet really, without the stubbly chins (ohoh! I've just looked in the mirror! hmm!). Wasn't there a Netgrans somewhere?

Mumsy Tue 03-Jan-17 11:23:51

Im on www.buzz50.com/ its ok but I find it too busy so dont often go on there.

jusnoneed Tue 03-Jan-17 10:31:20

Maybe not quite as much general chat but Money Saving Expert has a forum which covers lots of topics, not just finance etc.

cangran Tue 03-Jan-17 09:15:20

Not quite a forum (more an online magazine) but SixtyandMe sixtyandme.com/ does have some interesting articles and discussions.

yggdrasil Tue 03-Jan-17 08:52:27

I'm on another very similar at www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/
It is moderated, but there are some outspoken people there:-)

Ankers Tue 03-Jan-17 07:31:11

There are many hobby forums,[just put in your hobby and put the words chat forum after it], but I have not found a general forum like gransnet.

Maggiemaybe Tue 03-Jan-17 07:27:30

I made the mistake of joining a local forum. I now have to weigh up the advantages of getting a lot of useful knowledge against the disadvantages of having to wade through a lot of mindless crap witty banter to get to it, and endless amateur footage of bad parking and dog poo. I should have stuck to Gransnet.

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 03-Jan-17 07:08:33

Try Mumsnet, huge range of diverse topics.

BlueBelle Tue 03-Jan-17 07:04:57

I go on two local forums and FB

JackyB Tue 03-Jan-17 06:54:23

I have been on a site since the year 2000 which is becoming more and more like Gransnet as the denizens grow older. It's rather niche and I think that anyone coming into it now would have trouble fitting in.

Jalima Mon 02-Jan-17 23:55:09

But - bland could be quite nice.

It is terribly easy to put one or both feet in it without meaning to on Gransnet.
It would be nice to find a forum where full armour and tin hat is not required if one innocently makes the simplest of remarks that is immediately jumped upon.

DaphneBroon Mon 02-Jan-17 23:12:35

How could there be anything similar to GN??
We are unique.smile
There was a site called Grannynet I think, but it folded, probably because it was too bland, all Shreddie knitting and crimplene slacks.
Not an imminent danger to GRANSNET!!
???????

Jalima Mon 02-Jan-17 23:06:14

I have never come across anything like GN in my life before now, sorry Kateykrunch grin

Kateykrunch Mon 02-Jan-17 23:02:35

I often read Gransnet and Sheffield Forum but would like to know of any other similar types of forums which have such diverse topics like GN which I could look at - can you recommend any please?, thanks