Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Discoloured wetroom floor

(13 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 23-Jan-17 12:45:45

I'm staying at my daughter's bungalow, where she has a wet room with a shower cubicle. It has grainy type flooring, which is awful in the shower cubicle part
Any suggestions as to what might fetch it up a bit cleaner?
Its discoloured to an almost red hue
I've tried white vinegar, without much success
I presume its residue from shampoo, etc? (that, and not being cleaned often!) wink

Welshwife Mon 23-Jan-17 13:06:14

Lakeland sell a mildew spray which cleans silicone sealant - I notice in my shower that often the silicone goes pinky before black spots appear and I use the spray then.

Teetime Mon 23-Jan-17 14:45:18

Could try Viakal on it.

Crafting Mon 23-Jan-17 14:49:56

I hate to tell you what our plumber said but it is actually fat/grease being washed off the body and it turns pink around the drain area. I've used Vical on ours and got rid of it but you have to keep it clean to stop it coming back.

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 14:53:42

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover is good.

Our shower goes pink very quickly around the drain area and the plumber said it was caused by hair conditioner (the same in the slot of the washing machine where the fabric conditioner goes, that needs taking out and scrubbing quite often).

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 14:54:26

Crafting my fat does not seem to be washing off my body, I am still the same size.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jan-17 15:10:33

I must very a very greasy family! grin well, that's something new I've learned today, thanks ladies
I shall try the viacal, I think.

suzied Mon 23-Jan-17 16:26:23

a steam cleaner is great for shower trays and tiles

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jan-17 16:53:21

I've sprayed some 'astonish' mould and mildew cleaner on it. Don't hold out much hope that it'll work
If not i'll get some dettol or viakal.

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 17:38:29

Don't leave it on too long, the Dettol one says between 2 and 20 minutes

Astonish should work the same I would think

MissAdventure Mon 23-Jan-17 17:45:52

Oops! Probably should go and clean it off then! Thanks jalima blush

Jalima Mon 23-Jan-17 17:48:39

It may be different with Astonish

grannypiper Tue 24-Jan-17 08:29:45

Limelite limescale Tilex from Amazon