Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Slippers/shoes for elderly disabled man

(9 Posts)
Charleygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:17:55

I agree, a long handled shoe horn would get slippers or a pair of shoes on but maybe a picker upper would attach the Velcro if he cannot bend down? Where I live there is a Mobility Shop- maybe if you look on line for your nearest?

Also his GP could arrange for him to be seen by an Occupational Therapist and items would then be safe as well as free.

Ginny42 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:47:20

I showed him the easylife slippers and he wants me to get some, so that's good. I think he'll be a lot safer on his feet and certainly warmer, as the front flap comes over the instep and is secured with velcro.

I'm going to order some of those laces for his other shoes and get myself some in one of the fab colours too. Thanks for the ideas!

shysal Tue 24-Jan-17 17:37:11

Since injuring my shoulder I use no-tie laces, also find my long handled shoe horn invaluable. These are a bit different from the ones Kitty mentioned. I also have some silicone individual strip laces.
I also agree that Velcro is good for slippers, with non-slip soles.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURLY-ELASTIC-NO-TIE-SINGLE-COLOUR-SHOELACES-SHOE-LACES-/380368981431?var=&hash=item588fc20db7:m:m9OSOw63YSwbfQDFDcS2sVA

kittylester Tue 24-Jan-17 17:04:31

www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Xtenex/X300-Elastic-Running-Laces/3CRG?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PX%20%7C%20SH%20-%20Triathlon%20(Brand)&utm_term=4581321355651745&utm_content=All%20Products%20-%20Triathlon&gclid=CKHti7ah29ECFc0AGQodoqAKXw&gclsrc=ds

Like this!

kittylester Tue 24-Jan-17 17:02:34

Beat me too it Stansgran.

You can get elastic shoe laces that sort of coil up. DS has some of those in his trainers which he got off the internet, I think.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Jan-17 16:32:19

Velcro is very handy for the elderly, its easy to fasten, and allows for times when feet may be swollen
Poorly fitting slippers are a cause of many falls in elderly.
Those magazines are full of great ideas.

Ginny42 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:55:57

They do look good SG and they look warmer than trainers. When he wakens up I'll broach the subject. Thanks for the idea.

Stansgran Tue 24-Jan-17 15:38:03

Www.easylifegroup.com has a catalogue. It is full of things you never knew you needed but has a pair of slippers on p99 which are touch and fit. Don't know if that would work for your friend. There might be more things on line.

Ginny42 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:26:34

I am helping to care for an elderly man who cannot put socks on and has great trouble putting on shoes. He wears trainers with velcro fasteners almost always unfastened, as he can't bend down.

Today he's with me for the day and he arrived in a filthy pair of trainers, which I've scrubbed whilst he's sleeping. His feet must be really cold. I'm going shopping tomorrow and would like to buy him some shoes/slippers. They would have to be easy to put on but enclose his foot, so not slip on styles.

Any suggestions or brand names please?