Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Being called granny

(119 Posts)
Suemag Sat 28-Jan-17 13:45:08

I have grandchildren who all call me granny which I love as my mother and grandmother were also called granny, but on 3 separate occasions last year people I didn't know said when the grandson was calling me how they would hate to be called granny as it would make them feel old etc, I just said I loved it and left it at that but I do think it was incredibly rude and wondered if anyone else had encountered the same problem and knew of an answer.

Christinefrance Sun 05-Feb-17 13:46:02

Great news Elrel you must be so excited.
Congratulations to the new parents and Greatnanny flowers

Bellanonna Sun 05-Feb-17 13:43:31

Oh, what lovely news Eirel. Bet you can't wait to see him/her - think you were too excited to tell us the gender! It must be a lovely feeling and maybe you could post the four generations photo that someone is bound to rake soon. Happy greatgrandmothering!

Jane10 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:18:28

Lovely news Elrel flowers

Elrel Sun 05-Feb-17 12:52:18

Thank you, Ann and Jalima!

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 12:25:22

Congratulations Elrel! and I hope all is well

annsixty Sun 05-Feb-17 12:23:45

Many congrats Elrel how exciting for you all.

Elrel Sun 05-Feb-17 12:05:04

As of this morning I'm a very excited Great Grandmother, or Greatgranny, or Greatnan!!
My own GM told my toddler DD 'You can call me Greatie' and we all did!

Christinefrance Sun 05-Feb-17 09:10:29

Totally agree Elrel.

Glamdram Sun 05-Feb-17 08:18:11

Well I haven't got any grandchildren yet .

But have already decided that I would give myself the name of Nanette......as my first name is Lynnette. I thought that was a rather good name .

Two of my girlfriends gave themselves names too ...one is called Mops. And the other Oma.

We have a 96 year old nana ......who my children have always referred to her as nana...she's just gone into a care home and is called Nana there too by all staff...who think it's a really lovely name

Just a note .....my son and his fiancée have a dog who I call our grandpup .....

I think it all depends on personal preference and how you want to be

Penstemmon Mon 30-Jan-17 10:53:34

My DGSs have Nana P and GaGa, Nana J & Baba and Grandpa Dog & Sally.

They are loved by all of us and that is what matters!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.

morethan2 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:23:42

moonlight is so right. Who cares what we're called as long as it's said with respect, love and affection. flowers for you moonlight I wish it was somthing more substantial.

Aslemma Mon 30-Jan-17 10:00:35

I have always been Grandma, shortened to Gran as they got older, despite the fact that both my grandmothers were called Nanny. I'm glad to see Elaine is Gigi to the great grandchildren as that is what I decided on, though it did raise a few eyebrows.

Opelessgran15 Mon 30-Jan-17 09:01:42

I am Grandma, I like it,but did like the idea of Nanna to start. However, DS came in with " No you're being Grandma, your mum was Grandma to me, and that's what we want you to be". I took it as a compliment, as my mum had been a wonderful Grandma to my children, so Grandma I am. Harder sometimes for the little ones to say, but they manage a version of sorts from quite little. Only one person has pulled a face about the name but she refuses to think of herself as anything but young and trendy which she probably hasn't been for some years!

Anya Mon 30-Jan-17 07:46:20

sad

moonlight Mon 30-Jan-17 07:29:01

i would give anything to have my granddaughter call me granny, but i have not seen since her she was three years old and called me Nan, shes now 11 and her Mother for her own reasons refused to allow me to see or talk to her again all theses years i have tried to make contact send Birthday and christmas cards i dont even know if my granddaughter is given them her mother refuses to talk to me or give me a reason she suddenly decided she hates me (her words) and i wasnt ever going to see her daughter again (her words) so does it matter what name your grandchildren give you you can see them and have their love i dont have either and it still breaks my heart

GrannyA11i Mon 30-Jan-17 00:24:24

My mum is still around and is Grandma - the other grandparents were already nana and grumps so we were happy to be Granny and Grandad! I was a Granny at 49 but I loved it and found it very funny when people were shocked!!

Araabra Sun 29-Jan-17 23:57:57

"Why keep on these efforts to make people whose GC call them Nanny feel wrong or inferior? It's just snobbery isn't it?"

True that. GPs have names and should use the choice that they tolerate.

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 23:02:41

Well done all of you whose family obey your rules
Nan/Nanny/Granny/Gran/Grandma/Nain/Baba/Nonna/Whatever Jalima
grin

Elrel Sun 29-Jan-17 22:54:57

Those who go on about nanny being a goat presumably are also scathing of the use of mummy which, of course, has a meaning other than mother.
Why keep on these efforts to make people whose GC call them Nanny feel wrong or inferior? It's just snobbery isn't it?

Thebeeb Sun 29-Jan-17 20:46:49

Personally I don't like Gramdma/Grannie so am called Nannie (name) and other Nannie is Nannie her name. Works for us that's all that matters.

Icyalittle Sun 29-Jan-17 19:46:31

I was going to be Granny, and would have been very happy with that, but my firstborn DGC called me Yaya and that's who I am. I love it. If anyone queries what you are called, get back at them with a similar comment about their first name - "oh, that's interesting, I've always thought Athena / Bertha / Codswallop was a really old-sounding name. Don't you hate it?" Apologies to any real life Athena's etc, just picking ones out of the air!

yellowcanary Sun 29-Jan-17 19:13:11

I only have step-grandchildren - when the oldest one was born I was only in my early 30's but I became Nanna because I said it would confuse her (then the others) to call my husband Grampa and me by my name so I am Nanna (name)

My own grandparents were Gran and Gramps, my dad Grampy to my two nephews

shirleyhick Sun 29-Jan-17 18:48:35

When my son and daughter in law had my granddaughter they asked me what I would like to be called I said nan or nanny as that is what we called our grandparents as someone else mentioned I think it is a region thing. y daughter in law parents are from Malaysia and they are called something completely different. So take no notice what people say they obviously have nothing better to do with their time.

Bellanonna Sun 29-Jan-17 18:36:52

Yes agree about Nanny, but in the end does it really matter? We all have our preferences. I don't like Nanny but for goodness sake it doesn't have to equate with a childminder or a goat. Each to her own, and whatever she likes to be called. Lucky her that she has someone to call her something. I had given up by the age of 72 then 3 proverbial buses arrived, one after the other.

harrigran Sun 29-Jan-17 18:14:14

Nanny is a lady goat or a paid childminder, Nana was the Darling's dog in Peter Pan.