Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I shave my legs before having them waxed?

(50 Posts)
GrandmaKT Sat 04-Feb-17 17:40:25

I'm getting my legs waxed next week in preparation for visiting DS in New Zealand. I always wear trousers through the winter and haven't bothered shaving my legs. My question is - will the beautician be totally shocked at my ursine appearance and should I shave beforehand or will she be used to it and will it actually make it easier to 'grab hold of' all the hairs? I never usually visit beauty salons, so am a bit unsure of the etiquette!

Jalima Mon 13-Feb-17 15:04:31

Mine would probably grow down as far as my eyes and nose if I let them - so why is the actual area where I want an eyebrow (which I don't pluck) getting thinner?
Gravity?

BlueBelle Mon 13-Feb-17 05:43:56

Well I ve never done anything to any body part apart from underarm which is kept nice and bald I m incredible lucky that although I have very thick blonde hair I ve never had any body hair to speak of and I m happy with my eyebrows they seem quite normal and grow in the correct place and with a regular outline so they don't get touched either

janc Sun 12-Feb-17 23:18:02

I did a waxing course. Please don't shave beforehand also the temp of the wax should be checked with you before waxing.

LadyGracie Sun 05-Feb-17 22:55:32

It doesn't hurt too much, I regularly have my eyebrows, tash, bikini line and half leg wax, feels lovely after

GrandmaKT Sun 05-Feb-17 21:45:02

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll do the exfoliating thing beforehand, not too worried about the pain - I'm a tough old bird!
I wouldn't like to try doing it myself though - I'd be scared I'd plaster the stuff on and then not have the nerve to pull it off!
By the way, is there an annual Gransnet award ceremony? I think I'm a strong contender for the "most stupid question" category! blush

Neversaydie Sun 05-Feb-17 19:04:07

Hate to tell you this but once had legs waxed before a two week holiday .I had to shave them before the end of the fortnight .It was while I was still quite young though Maybe it wouldnt grow back so fast now .
Both my DDs epilate their legs and say it lasts quite a long time
I am very fair skined and (was)very dark haired

joannewton46 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:01:54

The sort of wax you can do yourself says go AT LEAST 4 weeks without shaving before using it so the longer the better.

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 17:52:13

Oh! No bikini lines or underarms or eyebrows for me. shock
Just lower legs wax where the skin is a bit tougher.

Lewlew Sun 05-Feb-17 17:31:23

Nelliemoser and Marmight

Once in my 30s was enough for me, too, for a bikin wax.

It was hell. When I was still wearing high cut bathing costumes, I started using Neet/Veet (whatever it's called in the UK). Much less painful. Did the legs, too.

When I see leg waxing on the Wowcher advert I cringe every time! shock

1974cookie Sun 05-Feb-17 17:17:34

No, definitely not GrandmaKT. The longer the hair, the more that the wax will adhere. Waxing can be painful, ? but the more you have it done, the easier it gets and it will be worth it in the long run for the weeks of hair free legs ?
Have a wonderful time in NZ.

Linsco56 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:38:44

Jalima. I think the underarm wax was more painful because the skin there is less taut and pulled more.

Now, DD did suffer at the hands of an inexperienced beautician and was left with an ingrown hair on her bikini line. Well, instead of seeking help from the practice nurse she bought a can of freeze spray and tackled it with a sterilised needle. She decided to use more and more freeze spray as the picking hurt and horrors of horrors, she ended up with something akin to frostbite in her nether region! shock

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 15:01:09

According to her DB she was always a bit bossy!
grin

Juggernaut Sun 05-Feb-17 14:58:07

I always wondered what the fuss was about, as I never felt pain from waxing, although it was only ever my legs, I was always far too cowardly to have a bikini wax!
I once challenged DH to have a back, sack and crack wax, just to be cruel, needless to say, he refused!

Peaseblossom Sun 05-Feb-17 14:53:40

I think it's better to shave them, I found it hurts less if you shave them two weeks before you're having them waxed so there is enough growth for the wax to grip, but if you're having them waxed in a week's time, there's not enough time for that.

janeainsworth Sun 05-Feb-17 14:39:40

DDs seem to enjoy that sort of role reversal don't they jalima grin

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 14:30:46

Linsco that sounds as if the therapist was not very skilled! shock

It's just like having a plaster pulled off, no worse, only a series of plasters! As DD said 'stop whingeing mother'.

minxie Sun 05-Feb-17 14:14:09

How can you wax your legs if you shave it all off first you would just be waxing skin

Auntieflo Sun 05-Feb-17 13:52:57

I think I must be of the "no sense, no feeling" brigade, as when I used to have my legs waxed, I wondered what all the fuss was about. smile

annerogers Sun 05-Feb-17 13:51:05

As it's your first time it might be as well to take a couple of paracetymol before you go, just in case.

Linsco56 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:47:13

You'll be fine. I always have a leg and bikini wax before going on holiday and don't shave legs for at least 2 weeks before the appointment.

However, many years ago I included an underarm wax and that drew tears and blood. Never again!

Anya Sun 05-Feb-17 13:42:50

Really easy and no mess to do this yourself with waxing strips from Boots or similar.

pauline42 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:39:11

My kind of mindless question! Definitely do not shave beforehand, the wax won't have anything to attach itself to. Also the beautician will thank you for this - because the "before and after" look will be truly meaningful! The first two or three strips she does will sting - after that you adjust! But truly it's worth that little bit of discomfort for the overall result.

Marmight Sun 05-Feb-17 13:37:56

I once had a bikini wax. Now, that is something I would never recommend. I had to be scraped off the ceiling ?

Jalima Sun 05-Feb-17 13:32:37

no, I would have to have someone else do it.

granmod3 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:19:55

Gosh, I do my own, thought everyone did, along with under arm, and facial