Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New talent!

(48 Posts)
campodol Mon 06-Feb-17 11:03:30

After watching..this time next year..i have been inspired to do something i have always wanted to do so this time next year i will play keyboard ?therefore i will need all the help i can get so any hints would be greatly appreciated,anyone else been inspired? Would love to hear what others would like to do

Yorkshiregel Fri 01-Mar-19 12:18:48

I was commenting on how we lived in Mons in Belgium but it was supposed to be a private message. Never mind. If you can tell me whether I should delete it I will, but do not know how!

Witzend Fri 01-Mar-19 10:46:15

I wasn't quite a complete beginner, having passed grade 2 piano around 50 years previously! but by the time I returned to the piano it had been so,long, I almost had to start again from scratch.

In case anyone else might be in the same circs, I found the Carol Barratt course for adults (classical piano) very good - book one is for complete beginners. After about a year of working on my own, I joined a group class.

I dare say there are similar tutor books for keyboard, though if you aren't bothered about the bells and whistles, the CB books would be good for keyboard too.

I buy all my music 2nd hand on Amazon or abebooks, and do find the past-syllabus ABRSM exam books, the ones with CD, very helpful. Not just for knowing how a piece is supposed to sound, but also for deciding which ones I,like enough to spend many hours working on!

harrigran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:29:30

I think you have lost the thread you were posting on Yorkshiregel as this post does not make any sense.

Yorkshiregel Fri 01-Mar-19 10:21:47

We used to live next door to a Brothel! Actually it was not as noisy as living next to a pub. The girls were never seen about much. One day their dog escaped and went running down the street, it was mid afternoon, my oldest son aged 9yrs saw this young lady running past our house in her night dress after the dog and said 'Gosh, she has had a nice lay in'! Another time we came home to find the fir trees between our house and theirs was decorated with all their fancy bras and knickers. My husband nearly drove in to the side of the garage he was so distracted. They promptly went in to my bin and it never happened again. Another time I was cleaning the windows and saw a man come out of the house and collapse in the street outside our house. An ambulance was called and it quickly rushed him off to hospital. I think it had all been too much for him. I would not have minded but we lived in a well to do area so we weren't expecting anything like this. Funny though. They were no trouble really.

Yorkshiregel Fri 01-Mar-19 10:13:20

So do I, thought I would share this one

A Holiday for Four

I opened my mail and what did I see?
Out of a cast of thousands ‘They’ had chosen me!
I have won a chance to enter
A draw for a holiday in a Caribbean Centre!
My luck has changed! I feel elated
My absolute joy cannot be deflated
I dance around the house in excited glee
How brilliant is that? ‘They’ have chosen me!
I hurriedly filled in the form that they sent
Then off to the post office with the letter I went.
There was a queue a mile long, right out of the door
I was cross with myself; I should have got here before.
The clock struck ten; I would miss the first collection
My letter looked set for a ‘late rejection’
“Be quick at the front, this has to go today”
There were at least a dozen standing in the way.
The queue behind covered most of the floor
The man at the back shouted, “I’ve been here before!”
A lady said, “Well you won’t be posting that today
You may as well go home again and come another day!”
At that there was a scuffle, a crushing and a shoving
“Let me past, this is important! It has got to catch the post!
The people at the front got squashed by those that pushed the most!
“Get back and take your turn!” “Stop that pushing and a-shoving!”
“All calm down and wait a minute
Shouting and fighting won’t help, now will it?”
It was my turn next to reach the front of the queue
The Assistant said, (matter of fact like), “I must inform you
This is the hundredth letter I’ve had of this style
You will have to hold your breath for a long, long while!”
She said, “They should be banned, it just isn’t right
The Fraud Squad should come down with all their might”
“They’re professional tricksters who pray on the poor
Be wary next time one is pushed through your door!”
I felt such a fool, and so did the crowd
They’d stopped pushing and shoving and shouting out loud
They started to leave, out the door, one by one
In no time at all, all the people had gone.
I still posted my form, because I didn’t know better
In a single week I was sent eight more letters
‘Win a car’ ‘win a break’ ‘go away on a cruise’
‘Win the Jackpot’ (you crackpot) you simply can’t loose
‘Win a house’ ‘a TV’ ‘lots of books’ ‘Win some wine’
On to the mat poured this junk mail of mine.
I tore up the forms; they went in the bin
I felt so angry, I could hardly keep it in.
What a scam! What a fool, I’d believed I had won
A holiday for four in the Tropical Sun!

Yorkshiregel Fri 01-Mar-19 10:01:38

I think you misunderstood. My fault! 'I did a copper relief picture of Mons Belfry because my son was born in Mons' is what I should have said. He was dangerously ill with an infection and had to be taken to Brussels hospital at 10 days old. After a couple of months he came home thank goodness. He is now a doctor and chose that so he 'could give something back'. Very proud of him and it is all thanks to the doctors in Brussels that he is still with us.

anniegillingham Fri 01-Mar-19 00:16:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Greyduster Mon 13-Feb-17 19:17:54

You're very kind! It will be a long time before I tackle another one!

Araabra Mon 13-Feb-17 17:20:03

Greyduster "I would like to develop a bit of 'finesse' so that they don't look quite so rustic!"

The cake was not rustic, it was lovely.

Elrel Mon 13-Feb-17 16:37:50

Barmyoldbat. We'll all buy the calendar!! Go for it!!

Bellanonna Thu 09-Feb-17 19:34:23

Ah, Mons. My OH used to work there and I know Mons quite welll. Also the befroi.

NotTooOld Thu 09-Feb-17 18:45:30

Thanks, everyone, for the piano lesson info. It is not quite as expensive as I thought so I might give it a go.

Yorkshiregel - how come your son was born in Mons belfry? Do tell!

pollyperkins Thu 09-Feb-17 17:16:05

Granmama she wouldnt think you are hopeless! Im sure she (or he) would have heard very level of ability and whatever your level she could help you to improve. Go for it!
(I too play easy classics on the piano - badly, as I'm out of practice but i am improving by trying!)

Grandmama Tue 07-Feb-17 19:52:25

I've always played the piano on a 'on and off' basis over the years (had lessons as a child) but for a few months I've been trying to play every day. It's for pleasure, I don't want the challenge of learning difficult pieces so I bought a book of easy classics which I can more or less sight read. I'm feeling pleased with my progress and it's really satisfying. I played the cello very badly at school and college and I'd love to play it properly but not sure I'll get round to it. I'd like to have singing lessons - I know a singing teacher - but I haven't the confidence to ask, she might think I'm hopeless!

campodol Tue 07-Feb-17 19:39:01

Wow nancan thats fantastic and as Morgana says all amazing projects what a wonderful lot you all are well done everybody, lets make it the year of 'I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT'flowers

Morgana Tue 07-Feb-17 17:46:07

Gosh what amazing projects! I am no good at any of these wonderful musical or artistic things but have discovered I enjoy writing poetry.

nancan Tue 07-Feb-17 17:37:38

I'm determined to drive a motorhome. Finally bought one last September and now looking forward to putting DH, the four cats in and tootaling off into the sunset. My DH doesn't drive so it'll be me doing all the driving So excited to actually see Britain leisurely and not having to dash back home after a week or two.

Barmyoldbat Tue 07-Feb-17 17:14:45

I also took up stained glass for 4 years, got the spare room as my so called studio do whatever room. Made a small stain glass window for my shed and a glass green man to hang in the garden. Sadly now find it a bit hard on the hands. But never to old to have a go, so go with whatever you fancy trying.

Diddy1 Tue 07-Feb-17 13:35:49

I have always fancied writing a book, it will not be any competition for JK Rowling, it wont be exciting, but it will make me feel satisfied if I succeed.

Greyduster Tue 07-Feb-17 11:39:54

I'm trying to get my grandson started!!

Yorkshiregel Tue 07-Feb-17 11:38:49

Always wanted to play the piano. Grandson is trying to get me started!

Yorkshiregel Tue 07-Feb-17 11:34:10

When I took early retirement I started studying painting and drawing and the history of art. I got a degree at the end. I loved every minute and it was something I always wanted to do. I have shown my paintings in 3 x galleries so quite proud of that.

I also went to pottery classes, copper relief classes, basketwork classes and ceramic classis, oh yes, also leatherwork classes.

At each class I ended up with whatever I had made. Leather wallets and belts with embossed pictures on for all the males in the family, a copper relief of Mons belfry for my son who was born there. Some baskets for my home and so many ceramic things, horses, dogs, a soup bowl set, corn on the cob set, I made a chess set for OH and a big partridge for my sister. Unfortunately that slid off the tray when I was putting it in to the kiln sad.

Never had the chance to do any of these things whilst I was working.

campodol Tue 07-Feb-17 11:15:05

Thank you Kim19 you really have urged me on and good for you doing what you are comfortable with well done.
Barmyoldbat what a trooper your well on your way to being the next david bailey good luck ,we'll all get there i know we will flowers a bouquet for you both

hummingbird Tue 07-Feb-17 11:07:43

I've been learning to play piano for the last two years. I'm still fairly rubbish, more Les Dawson than Liberace (I know Les was a brilliant pianist really!), but I love it! I have a weekly lesson, and use Alfred's Adult Piano Course books. Go for it, Campodol, and good luck!

Barmyoldbat Tue 07-Feb-17 11:05:19

I always wanted to play the clarinet. But as much as I tried I couldnt get a note out of it, not dnough puff! 2 years ago de ide I wanted to ge a super doper camera, learn how to se it and get a photo in the Countryfile Calendar. This year I finally got around to getting the camera and having my first lesson on how to use it. So here I go...