Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday present for cookery mad 10 year old.

(10 Posts)
kittylester Mon 20-Feb-17 14:24:35

DGS1 is going to be 10 in March and has taken to cooking in a big way. He has made lots of cakes but, last time he stayed with us, he really enjoyed cooking chicken fried rice.

Can anyone come up with a good idea for a present for his birthday? We usually buy a present for around £30 with a couple of small addons - one of which will be onion goggles!!

DH is slightly bemused by this turn of events so hopeless at offering ideas. grin

Jalima Mon 20-Feb-17 14:35:01

Jamie Oliver does some quite trendy packs such as chopping boards/serving boards with jars of spices eg for jerk chicken etc
DS always liked cooking (and still does for which DIL is very thankful!) and I have bought him some JO kits before now which he seems to like.

Jalima Mon 20-Feb-17 14:37:34

and, of course, being JO it's a 'man thing'

ninathenana Mon 20-Feb-17 14:46:29

Do they make chefs whites to fit a 10 y o. I wonder.

#goestogoogle

Araabra Mon 20-Feb-17 14:48:08

In the past I've given my GC cookbooks, knives, woks, aprons, a proper tea pot, and chopsticks. Several of my GC love to cook, I promote cooking.

ninathenana Mon 20-Feb-17 14:52:26

Amazon do sell chefs jackets and check trousers to fit

Jalima Mon 20-Feb-17 14:56:49

Ooh, that's an idea for DGS; he likes cooking too!

Araabra Mon 20-Feb-17 15:26:19

I find most of my GC cooking implements at TKMaxx. I don't care as much about specifics as I do when buying for myself or my DDs. smile

cornergran Mon 20-Feb-17 15:59:33

Our soon to be 11 year old would love her own wok and chopsticks. The Scouts have taught her to cook and she loves it. She would also like an iou for clearing and washing up! Agree TK Max is a good hunting ground.

Araabra Mon 20-Feb-17 17:04:52

Other items my GC like are Emma Bridgewater from the outlet. They each have their own crockery bits, some personalised. They love the Hen on Nest to keep treasures.