Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

washing machine woes

(29 Posts)
flaxwoven Fri 10-Mar-17 16:28:29

Any advice please? My washing machine caught fire (Candy) about a year ago (flames in the drum) and we were persuaded to purchase a Blomberg WNF63211 machine which was a fairly reasonable price and had all the environmental bits and pieces. I started using Fairy Non Bio Pods (Liquitabs) as you just put one in the drum and then pile in the washing. The conditioner goes in the drawer. I don't overfill or underfill as they say in the leaflet, but I keep finding gooey undissolved bits of the tabs stuck in the rubber lining inside the door and sometimes on the clothes. I usually wash at 30 deg for delicates and 40 deg for the rest. I do towels etc. at 60 deg and as we live in a hard water area I use a de-scaler every 3 months on 60 deg. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recommend a better detergent?

Jalima Mon 13-Mar-17 17:42:39

If I've used the pods I throw one in on top of the washing right to the back of the drum and I've never had a problem although I do use the liquid in the dispenser now.
I only buy when it's on offer grannypiper !!
I was told that it's the conditioner that can make the dispenser area gungy as hair conditioner does in the shower.

hildajenniJ Mon 13-Mar-17 16:30:49

I use Ariel liquid which goes into a dispenser that you put on top of the laundry inside the drum. I've never had any residue on the clothes that I used to get with powder.

Grannynise Mon 13-Mar-17 16:26:47

Good old fashioned Daz user here - cheap and effective in my experience.

Bellasnana Mon 13-Mar-17 11:54:11

I tried using the pods but, due to the heat of a Maltese summer, found that they stuck together in the packet and were difficult to separate without bursting them.
I use Lidl liquid for the coloureds and Lidl powder for the whites. So far the machine hasn't objected.grin

JackyB Mon 13-Mar-17 11:45:49

I love the pods. Have never had problems with them not dissolving, but I haven't been using them for long yet.

Gave up on powder years ago as it always left white specks on the washing, or, worse still, you could see the pattern of the holes in the drum on dark fabrics. So I've used liquids for years now. This was as a result of reading an article in the "Test" (The German version of "Which") which recommended using liquids over powders for that very reason.

In the latest version of the same test, they revert to recommending powders but after my previous experience I'm sticking with the liquids, and am now changing to pods because they come in plastic bags instead of those bulky bottles and make for less waste. I like the feel of them, too!! (Odd, or what?)

grannypiper Mon 13-Mar-17 09:08:55

Why pay more than twice the price to do your washing and ruin your machine into the bargain ?

Stansgran Mon 13-Mar-17 08:08:47

I've always used Fairy tablets but they've stopped them. I hate the idea of more plastic being dissolved. The engineer who installed my machine said never use gels.

Hopehope Sun 12-Mar-17 23:45:23

I only use surecare or if I can't get that Ecover, both liquid. I can't get others as I am allergic to the perfumes in most of them I never use a conditioner either.

Judthepud2 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:37:31

I hate those pods! Bought a box of Ariel ones once when on special offer and the gloop was stuck all over the clothes when they came out of the wash. I always use Ariel tablets that have worked well for years. Now there is a leaflet in the boxes saying they will be discontinued and giving some vouchers for the disgusting pods. So as long as there are still tablets in the shops, I am clearing the shelves of them ? My utility is currently heaving with boxes of Ariel tabs. grin They will probably last me my time.

Should I start an online petition?

Jalima Sun 12-Mar-17 23:18:56

I noticed when I used the Fairy gel tablets that the soapy residue just does not rinse out especially when washing towels, even on a hot wash which, according to the engineer, does four rinses. A couple of times I ended up doing about 3 extra 'rinse and spin' cycles before the water seemed to be clear.

The engineer said he would not recommend Fairy as it is well-known for being difficult to rinse out of towels in particular.

I use Persil bio liquid for coloureds and Persil non-bio for whites, towels and bedding now in the little plastic container and put it right at the back on top of the washing. hmm

Perhaps I may buy some powder

LadyGracie Sun 12-Mar-17 22:56:18

Washing machine engineer told me powder keeps your washing machine free of gunk so I use Persil non bio liquid on low temperature washes and persil non bio powder for towels, bedding etc, my machine is definitely cleaner

Lona Sun 12-Mar-17 22:20:40

I've been using Lidl liquid for at least ten years and never had any problems.

Chloret1 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:24:56

I had the same problem - I use powder now. I have heard that liquids aren't great for the machines but I don't know whether that's fact.

Elrel Sun 12-Mar-17 18:12:52

Wondered why I was recently sometimes getting gooey residue in the door rim. I almost always wash at 30. I thought I must be putting the capsule in the wrong place (under washing at the back as instructions).

mumofmadboys Sat 11-Mar-17 18:03:21

I find the pods dissolve at forty but not at thirty

nina1959 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:19:37

Anya, so do I.

Nana3 Sat 11-Mar-17 17:11:59

When I bought a new washing machine last month the plumber said its better for the machine and clothes to use powder as there are a lot more chemicals in the liquids.

tiredoldwoman Sat 11-Mar-17 16:39:28

I've stopped using liquid wash as they were making the machine smell . I'm using Aldi's Almat colour washing tablets just now and find them really good. They dissolve easily in the powder compartment , smell sensible like old fashioned wash days at Granny's - no nonsense at all , just good clean washing !

harrigran Sat 11-Mar-17 09:52:53

I only used the pods once and binned the rest, they left gloopy mess on favourite garments. I think 30 and 40 degree washes are not enough to dissolve the plastic like case.

kittylester Fri 10-Mar-17 17:39:03

It seems counter intuitive to me to use something in a plastic pod when we are all being exhorted to use lower temperatures. I realise that they make them to dissolve but it does seem wrong. Are they cheaper?

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 17:18:56

To be frank I just chuck one in willy nilly!

ninathenana Fri 10-Mar-17 17:02:18

Anya happy to be corrected

I don't know which brand I saw it on but ever since I've done the washing first method and it's always worked grin

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 16:55:18

tanith Fri 10-Mar-17 16:53:59

The only time I tried pods I got bits of the pod in the washing so now I only buy liquid but I too only ever put them on top of the washing not underneath.

Anya Fri 10-Mar-17 16:53:05

nina it says to put tablet in first then the washing confused