Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tesco vouchers

(46 Posts)
chelseababy Wed 05-Apr-17 06:38:13

We don't go to Tesco often so every now and then they send us a booklet of vouchers. For example spend £80 get £8 off. We usually take advantage of this but I've noticed recently that there are all manner of exclusions on the reverse e.g. no alcohol, no F&F clothes. We've been sent a new batch where if we spend £100 we get £15 off so it's a good saving BUT without alcohol or some socks for example, will struggle to spend £100. Does anyone know if Tesco actually enforce these exclusions? Thanks.

pollyperkins Thu 06-Apr-17 09:57:13

I only occasionally shop at tescos as its not in a convenient place and i dont find the vouchers at all useful. Same with m& s - time limited and you have to spend a certain anount to get money off. The best ones in. my opinion are waitrose where every now snd again I get sent vouchers tfor £10 or £20 to spend on anything in Waitrose or John Lewis and they seem not to be time limited. The other is Boots where you can use your points card to buy anything and you can top up with cash if theres not enoughnon your card and even get change if you font use it all. Much more flexible!

mumofmadboys Thu 06-Apr-17 07:29:20

Thanks all

mancgirl Thu 06-Apr-17 07:09:49

I have a sparks card lazigirl but I don't seem to have had any offers recently either. I'll sign into it again to make sure. Might go to marks today to see if they are doing a 90% off sale here!!

Pamish Thu 06-Apr-17 00:24:38

Could it be that they have excluded clothes because when I get these vouchers I do my usual shop and then (ahem) find myself tempted to buy clothes to bring it up to the required amount. If they don't fit i take them back for a refund.

So now I will be tempted to buy a fancy saucepan instead. It may or may not suit my kitchen design.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Apr-17 23:51:22

Fantastic! That's what I call a bargain! wine

Marydoll Wed 05-Apr-17 23:50:50

I had a spell with nothing, yet my friend was getting the emails. However, they started again a few days ago.
Chewy envy

Chewbacca Wed 05-Apr-17 23:44:34

Our M & S had an amazing 90% off ladies and children's clothing sale today. All winter stock but excellent bargains to be had. I bought a total of £212.00 (full price) of clothing for £17.98 which included a Per Una coat reduced from £99 to £8.99. Love a bargain!

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Apr-17 23:31:50

I've had some emails very recently, momb, so perhaps you've slipped off the mailing list? Can you not sign in on the website and see the offers there? I had a long overdue email clear out yesterday, unfortunately, so can't tell you what they are!

mumofmadboys Wed 05-Apr-17 22:27:11

I don't seem to have had Sparks E mail offers recently from M and S .Has it stopped? I would like to know when their next 20 % off offer is. Anyone know please?

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Apr-17 22:21:26

I had a run recently over two or three months of being sent Tesco money off vouchers, typically £12 or £10 off a £60 or £80 shop, and I used most of them, making sure my weekly shop was just over the amount needed, topping up with wine purchases where needed. Brilliant, and I was quite put out when I got to the end of the last batch and no more appeared, as I'd got used to them grin. I don't know what triggered them, as I was doing most of my online shops at Tesco anyway. I did shop elsewhere for a few weeks afterwards, thinking they might miss me and try to woo me back, but no luck. It was good while it lasted!

I really don't care what Tesco know about my boring shopping habits, and we use our Clubcard points for Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge, etc, and our railcards.

annodomini Wed 05-Apr-17 21:26:07

I am fed up with getting offers of 20% off in Waitrose - IF I spend over £50. But I'm a single person household and rarely if ever spend as much as that in a weekly shop. Which is an incentive to shop at Aldi!

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:36:53

I could have got £14 off a £70 shop at Waitrose last week if I had remembered to pick up the voucher from the kitchen worktop.

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:36:06

Whenever I buy anything these days I seem to be asked if I will complete a survey online when I get home to say how nice/excellent the sales person/till person has been and I can win anything from £100 to £1,000 today!!

I have never filled in one of these surveys as I thought I would be inundated with emails. However, I do wonder if the sales person gets a bonus if I say they were brilliant hmm

phantom12 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:18:21

When supermarkets give out these vouchers they seem to up the amount you need to spend each time. Also they sometimes give you a voucher at the checkout to be used in a short space of time when if you have just stocked up you are not likely to use !

Ruthyo Wed 05-Apr-17 18:43:38

You certainly don't get as many loyalty points from Tesco as you did in the past and OH spends much more than me on petrol than I do on food etc and he gets a fraction of the points!

Yorkshiregel Wed 05-Apr-17 18:19:27

I hate these vouchers, and it is not just Tesco who provides them. Usually you get so much off your next shop, but by the time you have eaten what you just bought, the voucher is out of date, so no good at all. Just another con really.

Lazigirl Wed 05-Apr-17 18:03:12

I have got quite a few £5 off £40 offers lately from M&S lately, mancgirl and if you have a Sparks card they send you offers with targeted discounts off some food (and clothes) ranges for a limited time. They need to as their food is quite pricey, but I like the quality, and have a Simply Food close to me. In the main I don't like loyalty cards because supermarkets keep far too much personal data on you, and it would be far better if they reduced prices instead as it must cost thousands to administer these schemes.

Tizliz Wed 05-Apr-17 17:54:38

I used some of my vouchers for a special offer Tesco had on deliveries. £1.50 + a few vouchers has given me 6 months of mid week deliveries. It costs me £7.50 in fuel to get to my nearest supermarket. Bargain. No Sainsbury, M&S, Waitrose or Aldi here. Don't like Asda.

mancgirl Wed 05-Apr-17 17:27:30

This afternoon I used a £12 voucher off an £80 shop. My bill came to just over £89 including £18 of alcohol (blush)!. There was no mention of not using it on alcohol at the til. I've noticed if I don't shop at sainsbury's for a while I get their vouchers, same at tesco. Shame M&S food don't do the money off vouchers!

PetitFilou99 Wed 05-Apr-17 16:38:37

Although Tesco have stopped their "Boost" promotions, you can still exchange your Tesco Points' Vouchers online for restaurant vouchers, whereby you get 4 times the value of the voucher. So, for example, if you have a £5 Tesco voucher, you end up with £20 off the food only (doesn't count with drinks) at your chosen restaurant.

Well worth having...!!

nipsmum Wed 05-Apr-17 16:36:56

I haven't had Tesco vouchers for a long time. I did my shopping online for almost 12 years. Now i do online shopping in Sainsburys and got £18 of my first shop and £8 of my next one. It's worth shopping around if you can. Everyone wants your business.

Linbrikat Wed 05-Apr-17 16:06:46

"There used to be good bargains in the Tesco reduced section, alas no more."

We go to our local Tesco every Sunday at about 2pm. They bring out quite a lot of perfectly good fruit and veg, usually reduced to 10% of original price, so packs of grapes, strawberries etc down from £2 to 20p. There are also reductions in the chilled and the bread sections, with products usually down to 25% of their original price.

Funnygran Wed 05-Apr-17 16:00:55

These Tesco vouchers do add up especially if you buy petrol at their garage. When they still did the boost offers I bought a new Kenwood mixer which cost me £15. Bargain! I have recently used them to take out a magazine subscription so maybe when that's finished I'll have enough to renew it. Since I do most of the shopping I reckon the vouchers are mine!

CassieJ Wed 05-Apr-17 15:13:49

Teddy123, Tesco no longer do the "boost". This was phased out last year.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 05-Apr-17 13:22:45

Jayanna9040
No doubt Lidl are jumping on the 'bemoaners' band waggon of 'see,'told you the prices would go up now we are leaving the EU.{wink}