Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Games threads

(27 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 16-Apr-17 08:38:32

Am I the only person to wish that all the Games threads be relegated to the bottom of the page? grin

janeainsworth Thu 20-Apr-17 20:17:33

Thanks Lara.

Riverwalk Thu 20-Apr-17 16:18:43

Thank you Lara smile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 20-Apr-17 09:24:45

Hi, thanks for letting us know. We created a Games forum topic because a number of users asked for it and so many people use it. We'll take a look and see if there's anything we can do to stop it forcing the discussion threads off active. You're right in that we don't think there's a simple answer but we'll a think. smile

Ana Sun 16-Apr-17 20:21:52

I agree. But it seems to be beyond the wit of GNHQ - I think the subject has been broached before.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Apr-17 20:16:52

The Games Forum could simply just not appear under Active Discussions.
It's quite a different use of Gransnet from all the other forums.
Anyone who wanted to join in the games could just go straight to the Games forum and leave Active Discussions for discussions!

Riverwalk Sun 16-Apr-17 20:16:20

The threads are listed alphabetically so G has an advantage - maybe they could be called Z-Games! grin

Jalima1108 Sun 16-Apr-17 19:59:12

I look at 'I'm On' or 'Last Hour' then Active as a last resort.

As the Active thread is by time of posting I'm not sure how it could be organised.

Riverwalk Sun 16-Apr-17 19:52:34

There is then very little room for proper discussion threads, and those that are started drop off the bottom too quickly.

Exactly, Jane. It's the dropping-off of discussion threads, whatever the subject, that's the problem IMO. Many of the Games threads are one-word answers so someone playing a few of those can knock something interesting out of sight.

I doubt if many of us go looking for interesting topics just take pot-luck with what comes up, but increasingly most of the Last Hour page is mainly Games threads.

Bellanonna Sun 16-Apr-17 19:36:15

Thanks for explaining Jane. I usually look at last hour or last day. I hadn't thought about approaching it differently. Don't think I've ever used "active" but might try it.

joannapiano Sun 16-Apr-17 18:51:18

I have thought there are too many Games threads for several weeks, now. Also glad it's not just me that thinks that.

Auntieflo Sun 16-Apr-17 15:57:05

Riverwalk, snap. I thought this morning that there were too many Games threads, but had a feeling that it was perhaps just me. Glad I'm not alone.

kittylester Sun 16-Apr-17 15:54:18

I've just looked at 'Last Day' probably for the first time ever (blush) and it looks far too complicated for me.

nanaK54 Sun 16-Apr-17 15:35:13

But.......if you select 'Last day' it brings up 85 threads.

I am a little biased as I enjoy the 'games' grin

kittylester Sun 16-Apr-17 14:24:30

I think Jane has highlighted the problem by saying that the games threads push the discussion threads off the bottom before I've had a chance to look at them.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Apr-17 14:06:14

The problem bellanonna is that if you're not interested in the games, it seems that almost the whole of 'Active Discussions' is taken up with them. There is then very little room for proper discussion threads, and those that are started drop off the bottom too quickly.
I'm afraid I often look at Active Discussions these days, see all the games threads, and can't see anything worth looking at, so I leave Gransnet and do something else.

Excellent suggestion Riverwalk

Chewbacca Sun 16-Apr-17 13:14:36

A quick count of "active" threads shows that there are currently 8 "live" games threads & 10 "live" News & Politics threads.

Anniebach Sun 16-Apr-17 12:00:54

Are there not more political threads than games? Yes I know I should count not ask grin

tanith Sun 16-Apr-17 11:47:42

I find it a bit of a faff wading through loads of threads to find ones I'm interested in participating in, I used to join in the Games when there were a few but just too many now. I did wonder why they can't just have one thread where all the 'Games' could be found but I suppose that's too simplistic.

Bellanonna Sun 16-Apr-17 10:37:08

Genuine question: what is the "problem" with games threads being where they are? I have never thought about this in relation to any of the threads. I just do "I'm on" or last hour and then swipe down. Does it make a difference if you use a PC as opposed to an iPad.? I'm a bit puzzled.

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Apr-17 09:38:25

I joined in one for the first time ever just before this thread started. Looks as though I might have jinxed them, like all those other threads I've managed to kill stone dead grin.

Maranta Sun 16-Apr-17 09:19:34

I'm sure that a few days ago no Games threads were appearing in the Active page. Now they seem to be back in abundance!

ninathenana Sun 16-Apr-17 09:10:26

Why do we have Word Association 14 and 15 ? 14 has not reached the maximum posts confused

Anniebach Sun 16-Apr-17 09:05:35

Why not cooking and cleaning threads or political threads at the bottom?

annsixty Sun 16-Apr-17 08:48:09

No you are not the only one.
They seem to be breeding.
That is just sour grapes from me though as I am not clever enough to join in ?

Greenfinch Sun 16-Apr-17 08:42:39

Good idea Riverwalk.