Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

young at heart ?

(75 Posts)
paddyann Sat 22-Apr-17 23:27:27

whats the secret to staying young in mind and heart.I have my own opinions of course but I'd like to hear yours first

Penstemmon Sat 29-Apr-17 17:53:43

I do not disagree with the ageist argument.

It is about a personality that is with a person no matter what age. Sadly, society generally seems to think those personality traits (energetic, enthusiastic and optimistic???) are more unusual in older people! I try not to be lethargic, apathetic and pessimistic!

janeainsworth Sat 29-Apr-17 15:54:09

In fact you could argue it's an ageist concept.
People are just people.

M0nica Sat 29-Apr-17 12:05:31

Whatever it's dictionary meaning because it is a phrase that tends only to be used by older people, usually of themselves, it identifies the user as older and inclined to use old fashioned language.

Penstemmon Sat 29-Apr-17 11:38:56

Some people are just old..even at 16!

Oxford Dictionary says:
"Especially of middle-aged or elderly people: having qualities associated with young people, especially energy, enthusiasm, or optimism."

M0nica Sat 29-Apr-17 11:21:28

Because it is a phrase only used by older people, the older people are the more they seem to use it. It is like the phrase: Happy days (sigh).

Bellanonna Sat 29-Apr-17 09:24:29

Why's that, Monica?

silverlining48 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:22:18

I love the 17 th century nuns prayer. Google it. Its great.

Flowerofthewest Fri 28-Apr-17 22:44:38

Days away in a beach hut in Suffolk with a friend. Giggly silly days. Hot water bottles...candles and books

janeainsworth Fri 28-Apr-17 16:28:13

Quite M0nica
#grumpyoldwoman (me, not you)

M0nica Fri 28-Apr-17 16:20:38

I think saying or thinking you are young at heart is a sure sign of old age.

joannewton46 Fri 28-Apr-17 01:32:31

Age is just a number - so if you don't like it, choose a different one. I'm still 24 in my head - awkward when my eldest is almost 40 but I don't let it bother me. Relax, do what makes you happy and don't let others influence what you wear, say or do.
A friend and I (both over 60) walked into a shop, looked round and commented "no, not for us, this is grannie gear". The (young) sales assistant looked astonished.

Coco51 Thu 27-Apr-17 19:02:23

Take each day with the attitude it's never too late to have a happy childhood. I like to play the 'nutty nanna' with my grandchildren so we have lots of laughs.

storynanny Thu 27-Apr-17 18:42:12

I don't think being with young people keeps you young at heart. I find that if I am with young adults I constantly watch what I say or how I react so as not to come across like an old fogey.
I think to be young at heart it means not being grumpy, tightfisted, but be interested in current affairs, have plenty of interests, be cheerful, don't talk solely about your illnesses and ailments and a big dollop of good luck/genes.
I feel uplifted when playing with my little grandchildren, is that being young at heart? I don't know.

Shizam Thu 27-Apr-17 18:30:50

I listen to radio one!! Even went to the big weekend with one of my boys. It's not for everyone but keeps me in touch with modern culture. I also love radio four. Good to mix it up though.

Bellanonna Thu 27-Apr-17 18:17:45

In addition to my first reply, I agree having younger friends.

Lilylilo Thu 27-Apr-17 17:20:10

Having younger friends, getting out and about, hobbies, enjoying a good laugh, not grumbling about everything, not going on about aches and pains, being interested in everything and having an enquiring mind.

Blinko Thu 27-Apr-17 16:47:52

An open mind.....one or two of the next generation in our wider family seem to have been left at the starting gate with that one.

Rosina Thu 27-Apr-17 13:26:51

All sorts of things perhaps; agree very much about a sense of humour, spending time with grandchildren if you have them, your basic personality, and being lucky enough to have a happy heart.

And oh yes, acanthus - most things are not worth worrying about, how right you are!

W11girl Thu 27-Apr-17 13:19:32

I agree with Anya and Kitty Lester. Its a lot to do with personality....Grandchildren are not the answer for everybody. I will never have any grandchildren but my mind is wide open and I like to keep busy with all sorts of projects on the go. Love music, especially Ed Sheeran and good news Banannarama are reforming!

acanthus Thu 27-Apr-17 11:58:06

A sense of humour, not taking yourself too seriously, a willingness to learn new things, a 'glass half-full' attitude, and the belief that most things are not worth worrying about.

CaliBoingo Thu 27-Apr-17 11:31:11

MawBroon - I love that! Mind if I borrow it for future reference? :-)

Yes, being open minded is essential. Remember that the world is always changing, it always has changed, and that's mostly for the better. Remember that we're never finished with education; we have a never ending need to learn and grow.

And turn off the TV now and then!

sarahellenwhitney Thu 27-Apr-17 11:13:03

An attentive man and to be appreciated ? and to make you feel special? takes years off you. Gives you a spring in your step. I can vouch for that.wink

quizqueen Thu 27-Apr-17 11:06:43

I've always loved playing with toys so having grandchildren means that I get to do that forever! We often act out scenarios from real life with Playmobil and I have a wooded area at the bottom of my garden where we look for evidence of fairies.

radicalnan Thu 27-Apr-17 11:06:18

Bad company, I can't get enough of it. Older people can be serious, set in their thought patterns and rather dull.......not ll of them but enough to make old age seem scary.

inishowen Thu 27-Apr-17 10:43:32

I go to a Pilates class and our teacher inspires us with her ideas. I also read a lot, and I am up to date with the latest authors, films, entertainers etc., My grandchildren keep me in touch with what the very young are into. Since retirement we have traveled all over the world. It's amazing how often we see somewhere on tv, and hubby and I turn to each other and say "we've been there"! I love life and I hope I stay young at heart till I die.