Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

French Election

(130 Posts)
Riverwalk Sun 23-Apr-17 16:44:01

Given our own agonies, dare I ask about the French election?

At midday I passed the Lycee Francais in South Kensington, and the queues were around the block and half way up Queen's Gate.

I hope the French are not in for a nasty surprise! shock

whitewave Sun 23-Apr-17 19:41:58

Watching tv. Macron sees himself as the person to save Europe from populism.

Pity he didn't turn his attention to the UK last year!!

Welshwife Sun 23-Apr-17 20:24:17

Many EU citizens who move freely to the UK do seasonal work and then go home again. People from further afield tend to be the ones who stay because of the distance. Once we leave the EU the countries the UK hopes to trade with all so far have said they wish visa free movement for all their people. Same difference !

Welshwife Sun 23-Apr-17 20:25:59

He gave a great interview on UK TV last year before the Referendum pointing out the realities of being out of the EU. This was before he was a candidate for the Presidency..

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:20

A shame people never took any notice of him. Probably all those who think no foreigner is going to tell me what to do.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:31:36

Seasonal and go home. That may be the case is some instances. Figures published that are the tip of the iceberg tend to say the reverse. Is it because you have cheap labour that entices this? what do you pay? People that want to stay in the EU usually have a very different agenda. Hence me asking why you want to stay in the EU.

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 20:32:17

Melenchon does not accept the projected results.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:33:38

Its not about foreigners durham, I embrace all nationalities. Its about cheap labour that does;t allow the majority to have a home and decent standard of living.

mcem Sun 23-Apr-17 20:54:44

I seem to recall a post which said that if an applicant for a job had a foreign sounding name they wouldn't be employed by you. Is that 'embracing all nationalities'?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 20:58:51

I tend to employ British mcem. My clients tend to want to be able to understand what is being said to them. I think this has been borne out by many companies sending their customer services abroad but having to bring them back to the UK.

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 21:02:46

Talking about Macron, saaki. Not the British who work for you. Somehow I don't think he would be one of your clients.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 21:05:01

I can live without that durham..

paddyann Sun 23-Apr-17 21:32:00

saakicking People that move freely to here never go back.

Do you include the "ex pats" who have English ghettos in Spain and other countries...who have their English Bars and bowling clubs ,who boast that when in Spain the spanish work for them ...who refuse to learn the language and then they vote out of the EU .Pot .kettle and black springs to mind.WE need immigrants ,they work and pay taxes and contribute to the economy ...they shore up the health service,they do jobs a lot of our "british" born youngsters wont do ....and what will we do with all those old people if the EU sends them home,they'll be a drain on the NHS which will by then be hugely understaffed and wont have the funds to pay for housing so have to claim benefits ...what planet are you on?

rosesarered Sun 23-Apr-17 21:37:00

paddyann....... you never miss a chance to badmouth 'the English' do you?
Good job that 'we English' don't do the same about Scots hey?

rosesarered Sun 23-Apr-17 21:38:52

What you could say ( if you really must) is British as there are Scots, Welsh, English and NI expats in Spain and other EU countries.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 22:05:17

No one is sending anyone home paddy so not sure about what you're saying. The Scots sure sound bitter huh and always have. Nicola is surely a zealot in every respect.

Oh, I'm allowed to say that as my mum was a glaswegian smile

Welshwife Sun 23-Apr-17 22:11:55

Many immigrants doing important jobs - which UK does not have enough qualified nationals to do - are going back to their own country or another EU one because of the horrible place they now perceive the UK to be. People being nasty and and spouting racial hatred at them. If you search on the internet you will find groups of these people giving each other advice and now more and more are deciding to leave rather than applying for Residence permits.

MargaretX Sun 23-Apr-17 22:16:15

Paddyann is quite correct about all the expats in Spain,
Some of the posters on GN overreact to any criticism of the British as if they were angels of good behaviour and politeness.

Ther are as many nasty people in the Uk as there are in other parts fo the EU and everyone is free to say what they think about them.
We can still do that on Gn and won't be arrested.
The expats won't be sent home if they are working and settled no European country wants that in the EU orout of it.

As to the French election it is the media which has put Marine le pen where she is, but she will not win as the others will back Macron.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 22:17:33

Oh my. Its not about that. Its about many more not! Hopefully what you are saying at the end is true. NO this is not the land of opportunity any longer. Our resources are drained now. Mass immigration on a lower level puts working class people out of work due to greedy rich jumping on cheap labour. I support people staying in the country of their birth and helping their governments making it such a place to want to stay.

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 22:19:40

You are right about that, Margaret. Macron is bound to win with the rest of the other parties ranged against Le Pen. Thank heavens for one sensible country in the EU.

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 22:19:55

I know because I live it every day. Are you so disconnected to real life that you don't know why?

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 22:20:10

That's not too far from racism, saaki.

durhamjen Sun 23-Apr-17 22:20:49

You live what every day?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 22:21:39

Where do you really come from "durhamjen" do you really live in durham? Are you working class?

stillaliveandkicking Sun 23-Apr-17 22:23:20

No not at at all racism, reality. Where are your from? You certainly don't have a true name on here. You cite a lot of things.

Lillie Sun 23-Apr-17 22:45:49

I find it interesting that the first lady of France will be the opposite of Melania Trump or even Carla Bruni. Madame Macron is 68 years old and used to be her husband's drama teacher when he was 15 years old! (His parents sent him away to Paris to continue his studies.) Only in France! grin