Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Triple lock

(186 Posts)
morethan2 Wed 26-Apr-17 13:50:32

I'm not sure if this should be on the political forum or not. I have just recently retired I just wondered what will happen if we loose the triple lock on our pensions. I'm not that sure what a triple lock is if I'm honest. I am hoping That someone will be able to enlighten me.

Anya Wed 26-Apr-17 18:26:56

Theresa May might keep triple lock

GillT57 Wed 26-Apr-17 18:37:13

There is a big difference between means testing the winter fuel allowance ( very expensive process) and simply adding it on to the pensioner's annual income ( far cheaper and fairer). I do agree though about the necessity of making sure that nobody, not just pensioners, should have to decide between heating and eating, and the bus pass is a lifeline for many. I think we can all assume though, whatever our political persuasion, that the triple lock is under threat as it is not being promised to the group who are surely one of the most likely to vote Tory ( apart from a few diehards on here, thank heavens!)

NfkDumpling Wed 26-Apr-17 18:37:45

As the triple lock was only put in place until pensions caught up I think it's probably time to discontinue it and replace with a slightly less generous system. It doesn't seem fair on wage earners or benefit recipients. However, I think all the parties will keep it in order to chase the grey vote - and because it comes in very handy as a contribution towards care home costs. Give with one hand, take with the other.

rosesarered Wed 26-Apr-17 19:05:04

Hardly a mantra durhamjen ( as ever, you make any comment personal)
Wait and see the manifesto for all the parties makes sense to me instead of wild guesses.

POGS Wed 26-Apr-17 19:07:48

whitewave

I think you are mistaken , wasn't the Triple Lock brought in by the Coalition Government in 2010?

' The "triple-lock" on state pensions - which has protected the incomes of the older generation since 2010 - should be scrapped, a committee of MPs has said.

The triple-lock guarantees that pensions rise by the same as average earnings, the consumer price index, or 2.5%, whichever is the highest.

The Work and Pensions Committee said continuing with it was "unsustainable" and "unfair" on younger families.

It is possibly going to be in the Conservative Manifesto the Triple Lock may go, it may not.

The question is, is it fair for pensioners to have the triple lock, winter fuel allowance paid if they are financially comfortable. I would prefer to see those pensioners on Pension Credit for example receive more help.

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 19:11:33

Gordon Brown introduced it for the reasons I have outlined - pensioner poverty - in 2006.

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 19:12:07

It's a mantra, roses.
You say wait and see for everything, not just the manifestos. You say it so often you don't realise it.

Of course it's personal; you are the only person who says it on every political thread. Not sure how I can depersonalise that.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 19:20:58

That's anot uncalled for personal snipe against another poster Durham. Roses is just as entitled to state her opinion as anybody else on these forums. We all are, even if we repeat ourselves. as do you.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 19:26:03

Correction: That's an uncalled for personal snipe.

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 19:34:06

You show me how to depersonalise it and I will, Chewbacca.

Roses does say wait and see rather a lot.
I get fed up of being told to wait and see. I don't want to wait and see, I want to try and change things.

rosesarered Wed 26-Apr-17 19:40:18

I don't think that durhamjen is very 'aware' chewbacca of what is acceptable
And what isn't, even when reminded she doesn't 'get it' and goes ploughing on.
If a poster doesn't agree with her very left wing views then dj gets personal.

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 19:46:53

I'm not going to teach you how to be a more polite and pleasant poster Durham , I suspect you're old enough to know already. But sometimes, your passion for politics makes you post some rather unpleasant and personal attacks on posters that disagree with your particular outlook. And on this occasion, you've called into question, not just a particular post, but "every political thread" that Roses has posted on. That's bullying Durham.

rosesarered Wed 26-Apr-17 19:52:03

I usually ignore it Chewbacca but yes, I have noticed I am followed about from thread to thread with petulant and childish comments aimed at me.You would think posters had better things to do.

durhamjen Wed 26-Apr-17 20:30:36

It's been researched that remainers are much more pleasant people than Brexiteers.
Chewbacca, you are being personal.

You are followed, roses? Ha ha ha ha ha......
Sorry, can't stop laughing.

rosesarered Wed 26-Apr-17 20:32:59

Still ploughing on.....as I said.hmm

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 21:02:08

^"I get fed up of being told to wait and see. ^"

Do you not see that other posters may get "fed up" with some of your posts too, Durham? But this is a forum where everybody is entitled to post their opinions, and that means that you, like others, just have to either put up with that, or move onto another thread/topic. But it's not on to personally attack another poster as having a "mantra". The same could be said of you perhaps?

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:22:12

It's been researched that remainers are much more pleasant people than Brexiteers.
As one of the much more pleasant people could you give a link to that research please durhamjen.
For personal use only, you understand.

If rosesarered wants to wait and see she can and she can say so, it's not rude, it's not personal and it's not against the rules.

Sometimes the best policy is to wait and see because getting annoyed and agitated about something that may never happen is really bad for stress levels.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:24:35

A Mantra: a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation

'hummmmmmm'

Ana Wed 26-Apr-17 21:27:52

And some posters do seem to be overly obsessed with speculation and telling us all what they think's going to happen and why...sigh!

How many more weeks of this have we got? confused

Ana Wed 26-Apr-17 21:29:00

(they can't even wait for the official manifestos - just make up their own)

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 21:29:45

grin Jalima hummmmmm, love it!

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:31:43

I have a new rug in the sitting room and found the DGC both sitting on it, in a lotus position and hummmmmming.
I asked if they were meditating and they said no, they were flying on the magic carpet grin

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:32:43

sorry, nothing to do with triple lock!

Chewbacca Wed 26-Apr-17 21:34:30

grin could be useful Jalima! Personally, I think a flying carpet could be in great demand in the coming weeks, so you'd better hang on to it!

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:36:25

I must be too heavy for it to take off sad