Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Jersey Royals..

(48 Posts)
sue1169 Fri 28-Apr-17 17:50:00

At the moment..EVERY supermarket in the whole of the UK will be selling Jersey Royals (hmmm) that must be millions&millions of them...are they really ALL from Jersey?...just asking!!?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 01-May-17 17:49:24

Interesting that people remember them as being kidney-shaped. It is possible to buy seed potatoes called (I think - mental block threatening) Royal Kidney, which are apparently what Jersey Royals are, but they can't be sold as JRs to those of us who don't live in Jersey. We tried them a few years ago, and they were very good.

TerriBull Sun 30-Apr-17 18:39:26

Jersey Royals are a lovely seasonal potato, but expensive. As others have said the much cheaper Charlotte potatoes are very good and seem to have a longer life, also very good for a cold potato salad with chives.

gillybob Sun 30-Apr-17 14:31:50

I love Jersey's . Delicious.
They are very fattening as I have a huge greedy portion and gently crush them with a big dollop of butter.

I love those big Cyprus potatoes which are delicious baked in the oven . Only available for a short time too though.

Greyduster Sun 30-Apr-17 13:50:56

I always buy Norfolks at the market if I can get them when they're in season - nice flavour, and they scrape well (I don't mind skins on new potatoes, but DH absolutely won't eat them).

phoenix Sun 30-Apr-17 13:50:26

Jalima blushgrin

NfkDumpling Sun 30-Apr-17 13:27:49

I thought it was me getting old and loosing my taste buds! So pleased to hear others not finding Jersey Royals are more tasteless than remembered. We don't bother with them either preferring the local newly dug ones our greengrocer grows.

Greyduster Sun 30-Apr-17 12:44:58

hilda when we had an allotment in the eighties, we always grew Aran Pilot. An excellent reliable variety and delicious!

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:20:12

I'm sure my DF used to grow Arran Pilot on his allotment.

hildajenniJ Sun 30-Apr-17 10:11:21

By the way, my Dad's favourites were a variety called Arran pilot.

hildajenniJ Sun 30-Apr-17 10:07:12

There is nothing like new potatoes fresh from the earth, washed in a bucket of water by your father, put straight into a pan, and boiled for dinner by your mother. Oh happy childhood memories.

grannypiper Sun 30-Apr-17 09:19:00

Daddima hope your Ayrshires turn out well, please let me know if they were a success

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Apr-17 14:36:32

I was wondering if you meant the type that you knit and pull over your head phoenix
Has any one else found that some sold as Jerseys are not quite the right she as people
I prefer a person shaped jersey myself grin

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Apr-17 14:34:14

Yes, I remember them being kidney shaped until a few years ago. They may be Jersey potatoes from Jersey but are they a specific type of potato?
Perhaps anything goes these days.

Daddima Sat 29-Apr-17 14:16:16

I agree with grannypiper! In fact, I have some Epicures ( the type used for Ayrshires) growing in a bin bag. Interesting to see if they taste like the native Ayrshire.

I got Jersey Royals in Morrison's this morning.

phoenix Sat 29-Apr-17 10:52:51

Oops, meant that Jerseys don't seem to be the right shape! (was using kindle, which is rather prone to doing it's own thing)

They always used to be kidney shape, now they're not.

Mr P has now decided that he will no longer eat asparagus, as he doesn't like the side effect. confused

grannypiper Sat 29-Apr-17 09:31:24

I never understand the fuss surrounding Jerseys, to me they are tasteless compared to Cornish new pots bit the cream of the crop are Ayrshires, simply the tastiest of the "early crops".

harrigran Sat 29-Apr-17 08:47:36

I don't buy Jersey royals, they do not taste as they should probably because they are washed and packed in plastic bags. I buy Charlottes as they are firm when boiled and are good if you want to saute them.

Greyduster Sat 29-Apr-17 08:06:26

I wish that supermarkets would provenance their loose new potatoes. I like to know where they come from. If I buy them at the local markets, I have a choice, usually, of Norfolks, Italian, Cornish, and sometimes those very local to where we live here - just up the road in fact. Apart from Jerseys, the supermarkets just stick out a box and you've no idea where they are from. Not that it matters in the great scheme of things, I suppose, but I like to know.

phoenix Fri 28-Apr-17 23:58:50

Has any one else found that some sold as Jerseys are not quite the right she as people?

Jalima nice to encounter another one who likes the Charlottes, a very reliable salad type spud!

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Apr-17 23:46:06

I meant to say it's not that far from Herefordshire!

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Apr-17 23:45:22

preferably from the Vale of Evesham!
grin

Elrel Fri 28-Apr-17 23:39:11

From St George's Day until Midsummer Eve I read somewhere as the season for sparrowgrass, preferably from the Vale of Evesham!

Jalima1108 Fri 28-Apr-17 23:32:58

Year-round asparagus seems to come from Peru but the British asparagus will be in the shops from about now for the season.
www.herefordtimes.com/news/features/farming/8151168.Herefordshire_cashes_in_with_home_grown_asparagus/

Delicious!

hildajenniJ Fri 28-Apr-17 21:45:10

We had Jersey Royals for lunch today with trout in lemon butter and caper sauce, accompanied by sugar snap peas and baby corn. Lovely.

Deedaa Fri 28-Apr-17 21:06:34

Actually most asparagus seems to come from Peru. It's the one vegetable I'm really fanatical about buying British.