Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vintage Magazines

(10 Posts)
M0nica Sat 13-May-17 11:03:20

The magazine will probably have all their back issues digitised.

As copyright libraries the British Library, Cambridge and Oxford University libraries will have copies, as will the Edinurgh University Library and Trinity College, Dublin.

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-May-17 22:01:27

This might help

courtauld.ac.uk/study/resources/book-library/collections-services/online-resources/womens-magazine-archive

Cold Fri 12-May-17 20:21:12

Do you know the subject matter or title? Sometimes there may be scanned copies on a website somewhere if you google (I managed to track down a Woman's Own interview that way)

Otherwise a library may be able to help if you order in advance or the magazine itself may have an archive

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-May-17 19:16:07

in the UK, not on it, of course. I really must start previewing my posts!

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-May-17 19:13:24

Failing that, the British Library should be able to help.
I can remember watching a documentary piece about their storage facilities and how they have copies, or digital copies, of everything published on the UK.

www.bl.uk/aboutus/quickinfo/facts/index.html

wildswan16 Fri 12-May-17 19:04:49

It's always worth having a look on ebay - if you search "womens magazines" and then 1971 there are quite a few on offer. You might just be lucky.

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-May-17 18:52:32

Generally , I would imagine magazines keep one copy of every issue for their archives. I'd ask the magazine in question.

annsixty Fri 12-May-17 18:48:53

Is there anywhere where magazines are catalogued in the way that newspapers are?

whitewave Fri 12-May-17 18:28:34

Blimey that's a photographic memory!!

Horatia Fri 12-May-17 18:15:47

I am trying to trace an article written in early May 1971 written in either the Womans Own or the Woman magazine. I wonder if anyone still has any of these magazines and would help me please.