Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

befriend service?

(21 Posts)
nanaK54 Mon 15-May-17 18:38:02

Thank you maggiemaybe much appreciated smile

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-May-17 18:31:27

Gosh no, nanaK54, no offence, just different ways of reading the situation. And you're right, a link in the OP would have been helpful!

Peace and love = always a good concept! smile

nanaK54 Mon 15-May-17 18:18:20

Oh dear I seem to have caused offence here, that was not my intention at all.

Perhaps it would have helped if a link had been added in the opening post.....

I felt 'uneasy' because there was no mention of checks, I don't think that is hard to understand

I understand fully about Ofsted Inspections

Peace and love flowers

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-May-17 17:43:54

nanaK54, the very first thing any Ofsted inspector demands asks for at any setting is the full register of safeguarding checks and procedures for staff, volunteers, and anyone else with unsupervised access to children. This organisation's compliance is stated on the Ofsted site.

MawBroon Mon 15-May-17 17:41:37

I just can't see why nanaK54 and MargaretX have got the idea this is anything other than a reputable and highly professional kindergarten confused
Read their site, read where it says OFSTED checked, read where is says any visitors etc are checked (now DBS formerly CRB) read about the activities, the staffing ratio, read all of it.
Why should you feel uneasy and how on earth have you come to the conclusion that the "planning and financing are not solid and reliable " confused

nanaK54 Mon 15-May-17 17:17:58

maggiemaybe I did not for one second imagine that this would not be registered provision.
However, I stand by the concern that I expressed, and really hope that Stef does return.

Anya Mon 15-May-17 16:19:45

confused

annsixty Mon 15-May-17 16:12:15

So sorry I created a situation. Please come back Stef.

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-May-17 16:08:15

Goodness me indeed. A simple Google search would have saved you all the angst Stef's post seems to have caused.

www.treehousefriends.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions

This is a properly registered, Ofsted inspected organisation just wanting to expand its befriending scheme. Good luck to you, Stef - forest schools are booming round here and are doing great work. This one's too far away for me, I'm afraid!

nanaK54 Mon 15-May-17 15:52:37

Goodness me - please come back and reassure us that, as others have already mentioned, full Safeguarding checks will be undertaken.....DBS nowadays.
Your post has left me feeling quite uneasy

MargaretX Mon 15-May-17 15:41:07

I live in country where forest kindergarten are popular. But that does not mean that any old pensioner can go and look after children in this envirenment just like they can't in a normal Kindergarten.
If you are starting up a forest kindergarten you need more staff than at a usual one. (More wet clothes and filthy shoes etc)
This post is for me a sure sign that the planning and financing is not solid and reliable.

Alima Mon 15-May-17 15:12:24

Ha, ha, read this thread as "boyfriend service". Must go to Spec Savers!

Norah Mon 15-May-17 15:06:49

Brilliant. I hope the EP are checked with care and the children are carefully watched.

ninathenana Mon 15-May-17 12:23:23

Grrrrr stupid phone.
from me

ninathenana Mon 15-May-17 12:22:35

Lovely idea but sadly too far frosadl.
Good luck with it.

silverlining48 Mon 15-May-17 12:12:03

Is very popular....

silverlining48 Mon 15-May-17 12:11:43

Its lovely for the children to be outside all day, the same forest school system is. Ery popular and common in many european countries.

MawBroon Mon 15-May-17 12:04:46

Sounds a lovely idea! I hope the safeguarding checks won't deter people as I could see huge benefits on both sides.

Nelliemoser Mon 15-May-17 12:04:42

A lovely idea but yes they should be checked I am afraid. An advertisment like that could be a magnet for the unscruplous to any vulnerable people.
Child abuse or financial abuse of old people by Carers volunteers or paid. Sadly there are odd balls out there.

When I was working, there was a man referred to the SSD by the swimming pool staff who were worried about how much interest he seemed to be taking in a particular child at the local swimming pool. No evidence of abuse but it sure appeared to be grooming. That was passed onto the police Public protection unit. He was eventually banned from most of the pools in the local area because he continued in his behaviour.
Don't just say it's a sad way we are these days. I am quite sure this sort of behaviour just previously carried on unrecorded.

annsixty Mon 15-May-17 11:45:14

Will everyone be CRB checked?

TreeHouseFriends Mon 15-May-17 11:19:31

Hi there,
not sure where to post this question but here it goes:
I’m working in a forest school in Trent Park (EN4 0PS) with kids aged 2-5. Our kindergarten is outdoors all day every day from 9am-3pm and we are looking for elderly people that would like to join us having some fun outdoors. Activities involved: telling stories, going on easy nature walks, some wood work or light gardening, collecting herbs or similar.
If you feel lonely or know someone who does, we would love to hear from you. This will not be a commitment; it doesn’t need to be on a regular basis, even if it is just 1 hour a day or once a month or even just one off. All we want is for people of different ages to reconnect and to enjoy your time and get active. A lot of our kids don’t have their grandparents around because they live too far away or overseas, so I’m certain, this will be an experience you and the little ones won’t forget. Hope to hear from you, Stef from Tree House Friends