Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Children and scooters

(70 Posts)
amt101 Wed 17-May-17 20:50:20

Hello all, I would like some opinions please.
I was on the way to pick up my granddaughter from school. On the way the path was narrow and two youngsters were scooting towards me. We couldn't all get by so said to them you should wait. With that the two mothers yelled they're only 5. I said you should be teaching them to be polite. I then got threatened with you should watch it. I carried on and got my granddaughter and we walked home. When my daughter got home from work I just started talking as normal and she said I've had a complaint about you and one of the women who obviously knew who I was had texted her to say something - but didn't mention the threat you should watch it.
My daughter sided with them and said I shouldn't tell other people's children off. I told her all I said was you should wait and the others shouted at me.
I ended up saying I'm not being spoken to by you like that and walking out. I still feel aggrieved that she sided with them.
What do people think?

Madmeg Fri 19-May-17 17:55:46

The problem here is that we weren't there at the time so have no idea if amt spoke gently to the children - with a pleasant smile on her face - or appeared to be chastising them. She certainly shouldn't have been told to "watch it" by anyone as that is very threatening indeed and her daughter needs to know that. I would hope she would then go to the young mother with her own complaint about the treatment of amt. But that only escalates the problem and no-one is a winner.

Amt, tell your daughter about the threat and explain that's why you were so defensive when she told you about the complaint and felt the need to walk out (you were clearly a lot more upset than you first imagined).

In future try to think of a witty remark such as "Oops, not really room for everyone on this path, is there?".

Lewlew Fri 19-May-17 13:01:38

Riverwalk Fri 19-May-17 12:21:05 These are 'yummy mummy' children going to posh private schools. Many have attitudes already at 5+.

Of course the nursery kids, under 4's are too little to be a problem. They are just finding their feet/legs!

Bbbface Fri 19-May-17 12:24:39

Chloret, i am inclined to agree

So many have poor relationships with their adult children, but the negativity in their posts would suggest that they're perhaps not the easiest parents

Riverwalk Fri 19-May-17 12:21:05

As they go by, I thank them as usually they are saying 'sorry'... although I really know they mean they are sorry I am in the way

Would five year-olds be so cynical?

I was a strict mother and now a strict grandmother but can't help feel that some of you have quite harsh attitudes to such young children.

Lewlew Fri 19-May-17 11:39:49

I live near two primary schools/nurseries and I get the obstacle course all the time.

I just stop and stand still right in my tracks. They have to then alter their course. As they go by, I thank them as usually they are saying 'sorry'... although I really know they mean they are sorry I am in the way. angry

Still, it works and I don't have to yield my place on the pavement I've been walking on for 17 years. smile

Anniebach Fri 19-May-17 10:12:19

Five is so young, i wouldn't tick off a five year old , speak to the parent

Bellanonna Fri 19-May-17 08:07:31

At least she won't be posting again ?

Anya Fri 19-May-17 07:39:41

What a nasty post chloret

Anya Fri 19-May-17 07:38:02

amt you made it clear to your daughter that she is not to speak to you like that. There is nothing wrong with walking out, you did what you thought was right and you felt infuriated by the situation.

Now, carry on as if nothing has happened re your daughter. As far as these mothers are concerned I'd totally snub them next time you meet/pass.

maddy629 Fri 19-May-17 07:10:48

Chloret1, sad that you feel that way, vile? I don't think so!!!Bye bye.

maddy629 Fri 19-May-17 07:07:55

I'm with you AMT, the mothers were in the wrong, saying that the children were 'only 5' doesn't cut it. Respect for other people should begin a lot earlier than that. I have a 5 year old grandson and I am sure that he would never behave in that way, he's been taught manners.

Chloret1 Fri 19-May-17 02:00:24

Having seen the manner in which you speak of the younger generation -unpleasant generalisations, I am not surprised that so many people on this site are estranged. I won't be returning to this site. Vile.

Coco51 Thu 18-May-17 23:20:05

It's a form of ignorance isn't it? That your little darlings can inflict as much inconvenience on others as long as they are not called upon to behave themselves in public. A growing trend in the me, me, world which makes all of our lives less pleasant. Now, given another scenario, if one of these children had fallen and hurt themselves or was being abducted, would the parents still say you should not interfere?

trisher Thu 18-May-17 22:02:25

Afraid I'd be tempted to tell your daughter that as there has been a 'complaint' about you and you can't guarantee not to do the same thing again maybe you shouldn't collect your GD, but actually this would only inflame things further wouldn't it?
Maybe just text your DD an apology, and say you stand by what you did but don't want her to be put in an awkward position, so could she send an apology to the woman for you. Then can you all forget about the whole thing and start again please? Maybe then she will see your point of view and you can both make up. Sometimes you have to be the grown up and give way when everyone else is behaving like a child.

Gemmag Thu 18-May-17 21:45:47

Their? They're

Marianne1953 Thu 18-May-17 21:27:28

I understand that there are bully parents these days bullying other parents. I can't believe that they texted your daughter, as if you were a naughty child and should be disciplined and I also can't believe your daughter treating you like a naughty child without listening to your side of the incident.
Really, a grown woman texting another woman about her mother, it's crazy and childish and if it wasn't so upsetting to you , it's laughable.

junesmith11 Thu 18-May-17 20:23:54

storm in a tea cup sad the parents of two kids had nothing better to do other than text your daughter.Never mind their
children will grow up rude and small minded like their parents

sarahellenwhitney Thu 18-May-17 19:34:11

Teddy123
A sad sick world. No doubt children with parents like that will themselves be equally obnoxious as they grow older.

Gemmag Thu 18-May-17 18:02:29

Forget it. I don't think it was your place to say anything to the little ones as their only 5!. It was the parents place to apologise to you and tell the little ones to be more careful but instead they choose to be rude so what can you expect!.
Your DD is embarrassed but you were right to be annoyed.

Downsized has got it absolutely right.

queenofsaanich69 Thu 18-May-17 17:48:27

Well the Mums were obviously on their cell phones,ready at any second to text any real or imagined complaint your lucky you weren't on video------30 years from now there will be older ladies flying in every direction due to lack of manners.Take a deep breath and forget it and don't talk to strangers ?

harrysgran Thu 18-May-17 17:36:19

Sadly today's parents take any sort of comments like this as a criticism to their little snowflakes I'm afraid to say I would have stood aside and let them pass no doubt the children will grow up as disrespectful as their mothers

TriciaF Thu 18-May-17 16:58:01

I think lulu and willa have 'nailed' it (as they say.)
Thank God I'm not trying to bring up my children now.

downsized Thu 18-May-17 16:23:21

shysal, yes! Very tempted indeed wink

ajanela Thu 18-May-17 16:17:22

Amt you were late and the path was narrow and you can't walk very quickly. The 2 children could not pass you as your side was narrrower than where they were coming from. Am I right? So you needed to gentle give them some guidance. Like saying, you go back a bit then I can squeeze through so you can then go on. 5 year olds may not have realised the situation and what the solution was or understood your mobility problem and lateness let alone anything about politeness considering their mothers reaction.

As for the mothers awful behavior and threatening you with you should watch it. then texting your daughter. But better your daughter getting it direct even if it was a biased story than via a distorted story passed around the playground.

Make it up with your daughter, maybe she will want to explain the situation to the mothers or maybe not.

Bagatelle Thu 18-May-17 16:07:45

I suspect that some of these parents would be horrified if they knew how threatening their lack of care was. Obviously, small children can't be expected to think of that for themselves.