Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What should I do with it?

(105 Posts)
phoenix Tue 23-May-17 18:54:07

Evening all, a minor thing in light of today's events, but I seek advice.

On Sunday, whilst taking a dish of lovely, golden, crispy roast potatoes from the oven, my attention was drawn to the fact that there was a hole in my oven gloves.

As the message of intense heat transferred itself from my finger to the receptors in my brain, I was forced to say "golly gosh, crickey, that's a tad warm"

Actually, that is a fib blush, I hopped around the kitchen (God knows what the hopping was supposed to achieve, it just seemed to happen, a reflex I suppose) shouting "f#c#, bu££er, sh%t"

Of course I was left with a blister. This is now, Tuesday evening, seeming to get larger and amusing itself by throbbing gently.

It currently covers about half of the third section of my finger, and is playing havoc with various everyday functions. confused

Now, do I just leave it to possibly get bigger and throbbier, or should I pop it, bung on some Germolene (love that smell, takes me back to grazed knees and roller skates!) and add a plaster?

The dish of potatoes made it safely to the worktop, God knows how.

Elizabeth1 Mon 29-May-17 06:33:23

Please tell me you've thrown the offending oven gloves out angry

Jalima1108 Sun 28-May-17 23:12:09

Just get someone else to do it!!
I don't think I washed up for weeks when I had blisters on my finger*s*.
We nearly ran out of crockery. grin

Elegran Sun 28-May-17 22:47:31

Washing up is one of the big hazards to the blister now that it has burst. The manky water gets inside under the soggy skin, and it is FULL of nasties. This is when you really need the plaster (changed frequently) and the Marigolds. Keep a close eye on it.

Jalima1108 Sun 28-May-17 22:34:32

LOL

phoenix Sun 28-May-17 21:36:37

gringringrin

annodomini Sun 28-May-17 21:33:57

JackyB... Brilliant! grin

JackyB Sun 28-May-17 20:57:27

I'm supposed to be doing something else, but for your joint eddification, I thought I'd list all the suggested blister treatments. My thank you for such an enjoyable thread.

-Hold it under the cold tap until it is completely cooled down, let someone else do the work.
-Acriflex
-Clean dressing
-Just leave it to dry out
-Ice (but this didn't work, apparently)
-Bandage up and keep dry. Takes a long time.
-When skin has regenerated, it is still sensitive and needs extra sunscreen
-Ask your pharmacist
-Broken off aloe vera plant. Apply the sap 2-3 times a day.
-Wear a sling - let others do the work...
-Do not pop it. This hurts more in the long run, and the fluid acts as a disinfectant (I think I understood that somewhere)
-Blister plasters
-Cling film
-Apply Germolene
-On no account apply Germolene.
-Or Savlon
-*Do not* use butter
-Lavender oil
-Honey
-Tincture of Calendula
-Witch hazel
-Sudocream
-Mustard
-Surgical spirit
-Proprietary foam dressings.
-Comfrey Oil
-Paracetamol
-Jump in the sea (preferably the Menai straits)
-Wrap in a lettuce leaf and wrap bandage tightly round it
-Tilapia skin
-Laluset Cream
-A bar of chocolate and a good book
-Swear as much as you like but don't pop it
-Remain "strong and stable" at all times grin
-Be patient - Skin problems take longer to heal as we get older

And

-Get new oven gloves

TriciaF Sun 28-May-17 20:44:25

Have you got any dressings like this?
www.molnlycke.us/advanced-wound-care-products/foam-dressings/mepilex-border/
You can leave one on for several days. But difficult to get one to fit around a finger. You can keep it in place with a piece of adhesive tape. And you should use rubber gloves, even in the bath/shower.
A tiny dab of Ialuset cream helps healing.
I've had several burns on my hands and fingers, and that's what I do about it (doctor's advice).

Liaise Sun 28-May-17 20:29:37

Life is all coincidences. Last weekend the grill fell from the roof of the oven onto the back of my hand. I have not had a blister, instead a weeping burn. I put a thick loose plaster over it to keep it clean and dry. If you knock it or get it wet it all starts weeping again. It's very difficult when you are trying to do the usual things but you will have to look after it PHOENIX or it will never heal.

sara4 Sun 28-May-17 20:28:55

I was advised in A&E when I dropped a chicken casserole on my food,to wrap the burn tightly in cling film to exclude the air. And not to put anything in the way of cream on it. I had put cold wet clean tea towels on it.
The casserole was a write off.

shysal Sun 28-May-17 19:51:29

grin grin

Kittye Sun 28-May-17 19:51:01

phoenix Mr P.?

phoenix Sun 28-May-17 19:45:09

The rubber gloves were ready and waiting in position on the draining board, and there they still are........ blush

Not much of a rubber glove user, actually still feeling quite chuffed that I remembered to put the blue ones one before delving around in the compost with the geraniums etc.

Still have a bit of a shudder when planting up a certain annual, awful memory of the look on the face of the assistant at the garden centre when Mr P asked if they had trailing labia...........

Kittye Sun 28-May-17 19:41:58

Whenever I burn myself I slap on some mustard and leave it to dry, it quickly stops the burning and usually stops blistering.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 19:20:37

Actually, I think I would have put a plaster over the holey bit to do the washing up.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 19:14:59

I understand that and have been following its progress! But am just wondering why you washed up with the finger unprotected - I think I would have worn Marigolds although I don't usually.

phoenix Sun 28-May-17 19:03:25

Yes of course Ana, apart from the time when I was a princess and lived deep within the enchanted forest, riding my unicorn and being waited upon by my devoted fairies and elves.

But the size and location of this one has been a right pitfa nuisance.

Ana Sun 28-May-17 18:54:37

Yes. Have you never had a blister before? confused

annodomini Sun 28-May-17 18:53:28

The new skin is growing under the old skin, phoenix. Just keep it clean and be patient. grin

phoenix Sun 28-May-17 18:49:43

Thanks, Jalima grin

Trouble is, now that it's popped (just washed up, and gently pressed the accumulated washing up water out of it blush, there's this sort of white, flaccid bit of skin just sort of "there".
confused

Jalima1108 Sun 28-May-17 18:11:49

Yes, your hands really do sweat in them, yuk!

Disgusting aren't they! I have been wearing some under my gardening gloves - don't know about blisters but it seems to have fetched my nail varnish off.

I believe you - it was the latex gloves wot dunnit.

AlieOxon Sun 28-May-17 18:08:31

No, not =, i meant -, ok?

AlieOxon Sun 28-May-17 18:07:59

= and painkillers if necessary....

AlieOxon Sun 28-May-17 18:07:23

For future reference, I've found comfrey oil is very good to stop blisters forming after similar occurrences....

However, this being too late now, continue with your careful monitoring and management!

Luckygirl Sun 28-May-17 17:41:10

grin

Hope it will be healed soon.