Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where are the Tory big beasts?

(46 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 10-Jun-17 18:52:34

Since Thursday I haven't seen any senior Tory MPs make an appearance on TV/Radio.

Theresa May is taking a lot of flak but she didn't enter the Election alone - I'm just wondering where the cowards Cabinet members are right now hmm

Strugglinabit Wed 14-Jun-17 09:20:42

The sad thing is - it reveals the characteristics of politicians ALL who should now be working for the good of the country. I admit I was naive at one time, thinking any government that formed a coalition meant that the good of the country triumphed over all. Instead of any debate descending into this you versus our opinion, a consensus is required.
I think that is why May called an election, there were so many divisions not only within her on party, but determination from those who wished to remain, to scupper any deal. How does that attitude benefit our country? I do just wonder if the gransnet feed hasn't this same undertone - I am right and you must be wrong - not that both sides have a point but we need a result that respects the democratic referendum vote - and unfortunately, immigration was one of the main concerns of Leave voters.

vampirequeen Wed 14-Jun-17 06:59:48

She won't listen to the old hands like Heseltine and Major because they're not as right wing as she is. Osborne will be reigned in by Lebedev when the time comes. At the moment the papers are criticising May to prove they're not biased and it's safe because she's a dead woman walking anyway. Once a new leader is selected and/or the next election is called they'll all revert to reporting Tory propaganda.

whitewave Tue 13-Jun-17 21:46:37

Cameron has spoken out about a soft Brexit.

Remember him??!! He was once the PM who caused this utter shambles and then disappeared for a year.

mcem Tue 13-Jun-17 21:28:37

This is the same Osborne isn't it?
The one who was a steady hand on the tiller of the good ship Austerity, steering us through stormy financial seas to the safe haven of Torydom - all to be accomplished by 2017/2018/202₩???
The same one who was supported by more than one member of GN in warning us of the dangers of making life easy for benefit cheats etc etc.
Whose cuts caused the huge increase in the use of foodbanks.
So now he's out on his ear to snipe from the sidelines. What do they/you expect??

rosesarered Tue 13-Jun-17 21:08:27

VQ.....grin very good!

George Osborne is speaking out against May in revenge for being ousted from his Cabinet job.I wonder if he realises that everybody else realises that!

Elrel Tue 13-Jun-17 19:03:22

Riverwalk - I agree about Osborne, an unpleasant term for someone whose days may well be numbered and the gleeful facial expression of a schoolboy gloating at the downfall of a rival. Not a scrap of maturity or concern.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 13-Jun-17 18:01:49

We saw a lot of Hesltine yesterday and Major today. They are both very concerned about the tie up with the DUP.

vampirequeen Tue 13-Jun-17 16:50:46

I misread the title and added an r in beasts. I was very very confused grin Mind you it was better than what happened to the poor monks.

A young monk arrives at the monastery. He is assigned to helping the other monks in copying the old canons and laws by hand.
He notices, however, that all of the monks are copying from copies, not from the original manuscript. So, the new monk goes to the head abbot to question this, pointing out that if someone made even a small error in the first copy, it would never be picked up! In fact, that error would be continued in all of the subsequent copies.
The head monk, says, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but you make a good point, my son."
He goes down into the dark caves underneath the monastery where the original manuscripts are held as archives in a locked vault that hasn't been opened for hundreds of years. Hours go by and nobody sees the old abbot.
So, the young monk gets worried and goes down to look for him. He sees him banging his head against the wall and wailing, "We missed the "R" ! , we missed the "R" !"
His forehead is all bloody and bruised and he is crying uncontrollably.
The young monk asks the old abbot, "What's wrong, father?"
With A choking voice, the old abbot replies, "The word was... CELEBRATE !!! "

harrigran Tue 13-Jun-17 09:24:44

Perhaps they realised that they were actually venting forth on politics but this is ask a gran.

Smithy Tue 13-Jun-17 08:47:53

Pity this thread ended so suddenly was getting really meaty and enjoyable. Was in total agreement with Rigby myself

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:13:53

is obvs

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:13:09

I would love absolutely love to see a logical argument put forward by Atqui as to why the present situation we are in is not the result of a despicable bunch of self serving Tories but us in the best interests of the people.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:00:46

I don't think the comment is patronising Atqui (not according to my understanding of the word) and it wasn't directed at any member of GN personally.

If you hold particular political views it really is likely that someone will hold diametrically opposing ones and even see failings in the people who adhere to them. So far we are not a one party state and do not have to say nice things about a particular party if we, as the poster obviously did, consider them to be making policies in the best interests of the members of that party.

I would say that quite large number of people see Tory policies as self-serving. If that offends you tell us why they are not; that is political debate not trying to silence those who disagree with the stance of that party.

GillT57 Mon 12-Jun-17 14:43:33

well that finished what could have been a good discussion. What will you do for an encore atqui?

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 14:23:36

And another irony bypass - and thanks for leaving us to our frank discussions - no loss IMO

Rigby46 Mon 12-Jun-17 14:21:54

<sigh>

Atqui Mon 12-Jun-17 13:56:39

I don't give a stuff if people on GN do not share my political beliefs . It's interesting to read others' ideas. However I think I am entitled to voice an opinion on the style of people's posts if I wish. . I considered the following to be an insult to anyone who voted conservative and all members of the Tory party.
"They are all waiting to see what is in their own personal best interests - they are Tories after all" and the reply extremely patronising.Fortunately many people posting on political threads do so without sarcasm or condescension. Anyway ,I shall leave you to your 'frank discussions'.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 12-Jun-17 11:42:54

I have definitely come across quite a few people who believe that, when they offer an opinion it should be accepted as fact when often they are just beliefs that should have been revised in the light of new or previously unknown evidence.

Those who start from the “I’m entitled to my opinion” mind-set often seem to take their belief in this as step further forward to thinking they can say or think whatever they like and that, by extension, to being 'entitled to their opinion', anyone continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful.

GillT57 Mon 12-Jun-17 11:13:49

Rigby4 For what it is worth, i completely agree with what you said and fail to see how it is insulting to anyone on here, maybe some people just like to pick an argument and see insults where there are none. This political situation is a complete and utter mess, and this cannot be denied by anyone, surely, irrespective of their political leanings. Mrs May gambled and lost, and we are left to pick up the pieces with never an apology, an admittance of an error made, and there must be a few Tory backbenchers who lost their seats who are really mad. On a GN note, why on earth do people dip into political posts just to say how nasty everyone is? or how left/right wing it is? This is a political forum and if we all held hands and agreed it would be a bit irrelevant and pointless. Bring on the frank discussion as far as I am concerned.

Rigby46 Sun 11-Jun-17 23:19:54

wills massive irony fail. <thinks, should I explain irony?> <runs away>

Riverwalk Sun 11-Jun-17 21:26:33

Osborne could barely contain his glee.

I did think his 'dead woman walking' was a sh*tty thing to say - he after all is the architect of austerity which May was continuing.

Deedaa Sun 11-Jun-17 21:07:08

I see Andrew Marr found it very difficult to find anyone to appear on his programme this morning, although George Osborne was a VERY happy bunny grin Presumably they are all waiting to see what sort of spin they should put on it to make us think it's been a wonderful success.

willsmadnan Sun 11-Jun-17 20:16:20

Well, actually I object to Rigby lecturing us as if we were children. .. I'll try and explain that to you as simply as possible. Well how kind of you ! And when he/ she is not talking down to us un-educated morons he/she is bloody insulting.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 11-Jun-17 20:16:01

Thanks for telling me about it Ana. I should slow down and read properly!smile

Ana Sun 11-Jun-17 20:09:40

I actually agree that Rigby's post in this case was not at all insulting to anyone on here. I only noticed you had the wrong post because I couldn't remember Rigby addressing me by name (which she didn't).