Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dog Hairs

(10 Posts)
whitewave Wed 05-Jul-17 09:02:36

Cairn terrier = no hair

Iam64 Wed 05-Jul-17 08:59:39

As has been said, dog hair is something that goes with sharing your life with a dog.
A word of warning about poodle crosses - they shed, they need regular grooming and they love mud and water.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-Jul-17 14:09:50

I agree no way to avoid cat or dog hairs on clothes.

I use the rubber brush which is really meant for grooming the cats to brush their hairs off armchairs etc. One of the sponges meant for scouring pots is also good for getting rid of hairs especially on surfaces like carpets and door mats where you can dip the sponge in water first and wring it as dry as possible before use.

If it is impossible to teach the animal not to lie on the sofa, armchairs etc (and no cat will ever agree that it should not lie there), you might succeed in teaching the dog not to lie on the furniture, use an old rug or a piece of material on the seat of the chair. You whisk this away before the visitor sits down.

Christinefrance Mon 03-Jul-17 16:41:37

Yes same here, JR hair appears from nowhere it seems, the minute I have vacuumed there they are again. Hard floors, dog brushing all help. As Alima says its the price we pay for sharing our homes with our best friends. Our yorkie cross sheds very little. I can tolerate the hair for the love and pleasure I get from my dogs. smile

wot Mon 03-Jul-17 16:23:10

My dog is white and that means I can't wear black at home! If I wear my black jeans and she leaps on me when I get home, I get hairs off by running parcel tape over them. Luckily, I've got a leather settee and laminate floors but still have to vacuum every other day because of the hair tumble weed ?

merlotgran Mon 03-Jul-17 16:16:00

We have two Jack Russells, one broken coated, one smooth coated and both mostly white. The hairs get everywhere.

If you keep a broken coated terrier clipped throughout the summer it does help quite a bit and it's good for the dog as well.

We've done away with carpets and have laminate floors which is much easier to keep clean but if I'm a bit lazy and don't vacuum every other day the hairs blow around like tumbleweed.

hildajenniJ Mon 03-Jul-17 15:59:48

We've had a parson Russell terrier for eighteen years! I find white hairs on all my clothes. I even manage to crochet a large amount of this dog into my work in progress. ?? I don't have a solution, but I do have a good clothes brush.

DanniRae Mon 03-Jul-17 15:27:00

Sorry but, as Alima has already said, No. We have a jack russell/border terrier cross (Lottie) and her hair gets everywhere. We never ask people to remove their shoes when they visit but some people do anyway and by the time they leave they are usually wearing very hairy socks!!
Those sticky roller type things are really good for going over dark trousers - I buy mine at Sainsburys.

Alima Mon 03-Jul-17 14:41:01

In all honesty, no. Dog and cat hairs have always been with us, the price we pay for sharing our home. Although the rooms get hoovered and the pets get brushed there are always some ready to get your best black trousers. The worst thing occasion was when our nice insurance man paid a visit. He sat on the sofa chatting away. When he left, there he was going down the path with the back of his suit covered in pet hair, looked like a yeti. Ever since then we have had a leather sofa, so much easier to de-hair.

ggmarion Mon 03-Jul-17 14:15:57

I recently adopted a Jack Russel Terrier with what is described as a 'broken' coat i.e. mainly short with some longer hairs. She is adorable but oh! the white hairs that weave themselves into my navy or black trousers. I have groomed her but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I dread her brushing up against visitors and leaving them trying to brush the hairs off. I now have to vacuum every day. Has anyone an answer to this problem?