Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Possible broken ankle

(23 Posts)
Serkeen Sat 08-Jul-17 22:17:36

Today whilst I was in hospital visiting my husband I slipped on a small patch of water on the floor

When it happened I seemed ok but a few hours later I have a lot of pain in my ankle and not sure what to do Usually I ask my DH The pain is bad and I'm wondering if I may have fractured my ankle or maybe even broken a bone because it hurts when I walk on it.

I don't understand how I was fine when it happened but now I have this pain

harrigran Sat 08-Jul-17 22:28:05

Sometimes when you fall you twist the ankle and it can wrench the ligament which is extremely painful. I would seek attention especially if you have reason to believe your bones are not as strong as they used to be.

Charleygirl Sat 08-Jul-17 22:32:43

A fracture and a break are the same. You should get it xrayed to be sure.

MawBroon Sun 09-Jul-17 08:51:10

You should probably get it x rayed but remember R.I.C.E. for injuries -rest, ice, compression elevation.

www.webmd.com/first-aid/tc/rest-ice-compression-and-elevation-rice-topic-overview

Baggs Sun 09-Jul-17 08:58:11

oh dear! My sympathies, serk. I'm currently left-handed because of a wrist fracture. I thought it was 'only' a sprain but DH took me for an xray and whadya know, it was good and broke!

I think you should get your ankle checked over. Can you get a lift or taxi to A&E or a minor injuries unit? Good luck with getting it treated and sympathy for the pain! flowers

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Jul-17 09:35:22

The only way to tell is with an Xray.

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jul-17 09:57:44

Seek some medical advice. Good luck.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Jul-17 09:59:29

You may already know this, Serkeen, but I only found out recently. If you google minor injuries clinics you can check out their user reviews and ratings and pick a good one. When I still had pain in my hand a week after a fall I bypassed the two nearest to me in favour of the 5 star one a bit further away. In well under an hour I was booked in, assessed, x-rayed, fitted with a temporary cast, and on my way carrying my x-rays and an appointment for 8am the next morning at the fracture clinic. There's always a long wait at our local A & E so I'm glad I found this.

Serkeen Sun 09-Jul-17 11:26:49

Thank you for all the good advice, which was very much appreciated.

I did the ..rest ..elevate leg ..and ice and it worked a charm smile

I was so afraid that I had broken it but the ice was amazing, at first it really hurt putting the ice on but it was the ice that stopped the pain

I am so grateful and happy that I have not broken anything and that the pain has gone this morning and that I can walk on it now, but just a mystery how I did not feel any pain at the time of slipping

Being a Gransnetter makes you feel you are not alone and have support when you need it, that feels so nice

Luckygirl Sun 09-Jul-17 11:50:28

It might be worth mentioning it to the hospital. They are supposed to log all accidents on the premises; and who knows it might save someone else from an injury.

Jalima1108 Sun 09-Jul-17 12:44:39

Just to say when I broke mine I heard it crack and it swelled up immediately and alarmingly and I was unable to put even a toe on the floor.

ggmarion Sun 09-Jul-17 17:09:09

I would suggest having it x rayed. I fell nearly 6 weeks ago, went to A & E and was duly treated because of gash to head but told hand/arm not broken as I could move my fingers. 3 weeks later still in agony family insisted on x ray. Two bones broken in wrist. Now in a cast, hopefully to be removed this week. Would just say the rubber sleeve you can buy on the internet is marvellous. I have been able to shower and wash my hair more or less as normal. Can't wash up or prepare veg grin

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jul-17 17:15:00

Maggiemaybe both the minor injuries in my area have been closed

Charleygirl Sun 09-Jul-17 17:50:41

BlueBelle that can be a major problem because nobody wants to sit in A&E for 5 hours+ if that is the only option. In mine in can be longer but there is an Urgent Care run privately but we do not pay.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Jul-17 18:14:22

That's a shame, BlueBelle. The one I used is 13 miles away, but I've just checked online and there are actually four others nearer. Our A & E's under threat though. sad

Crafting Sun 09-Jul-17 20:41:08

serkeen sorry I don't want to worry you but DH slipped on the ice some years ago. He had a few bruises but was fine. 2 days later (having been walking on it) we went to A&E. I said it can't be broken as he's been walking on it without pain. Nurse looked at me and said that means nothing. X ray showed a bad break and he was in plaster for weeks. Hope yours is ok but if you have any doubts please see someone.

Serkeen Mon 10-Jul-17 13:21:44

[Crafting]Its seems ok today though, and was soo reluctant to go to A&E after visiting my husband in hospital every day for the past three months.

Out of hrs clinic was a good idea though. What made you go to the A&E was it that pain came back?

Serkeen Mon 10-Jul-17 13:22:14

{Crafting}

Crafting Mon 10-Jul-17 21:00:47

Just became very swollen. If you have no pain and your leg isn't swollen in any way it will probably be ok. I just didn't want you to think that you wouldn't be able to walk on it if it was broken as that is not the case. If you have any doubts please go to your GP. Hope all is ok smile

MargaretX Mon 10-Jul-17 21:27:59

It happened to me last October and in spite of much pain it was not broken but I had to go to get it Xrayed.

I was told if you can walk a few (painful) steps its not broken as apparently you can't walk at all if its broken.
It took about 3 months to recover and 6 months before you can walk without it aching a bit.
Be thankful its summer as that solves the shoe question and it is some weeks before you can a wear a loose flat shoe

Serkeen Tue 11-Jul-17 07:09:07

Thank you smile

Crafting Tue 11-Jul-17 09:36:23

margaretx obviously we have had conflicting advice. My DH was able to walk which was why we thought he had not broken his ankle. I said this to the nurse in hospital and she said that is not true. You can walk on a broken ankle and when my DH had his X-rays they found a bad fracture which took quite a while to heal properly.

Baggs Thu 13-Jul-17 07:22:18

I guess it (walking or not) depends on the break and associated bruising.

My broken arm is half way to mended now. What has surprised me the most (never had a break before) is how exhausting the mending process is: at least as exhausting as heavy-duty hedge bashing dragon slaying. Even when the arm's mended, I don't suppose I'll be doing much of that for the rest of the year.