Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

M and S Sparks Card

(29 Posts)
NanKate Tue 11-Jul-17 21:18:27

I have avoided having yet another card to clutter up my purse but in the end got myself a Sparks Card.

There were offers when I initially signed up and I chose a 10% discount. I thought this would be applied to my first two purchases however I have made about 5 purchases and am still getting a discount. Anyone else experienced this ?

SueDonim Sat 15-Jul-17 14:38:53

Glenfinnan that's exactly what happened to my dil. She ordered a lot of bedlinen in the sale preview. When she went to the checkout, it was all out of stock!

It seems unlikely that all items were OOS, so I'm rather suspicious about this so-called offer. angry

Cornishgirl777 Sat 15-Jul-17 13:25:43

I have found its best benefit is the chance to be able to buy all sale items at half price(online) a couple of days before the the regular sale starts, when the reductions are then not often as great.

Desdemona Sat 15-Jul-17 12:51:56

The Sparks card seems like a load of rubbish to me, hardly ever any offers that I will find useful.

henetha Sat 15-Jul-17 12:33:46

I'm another one in the dark about the M&S Sparks card.
I've had one for quite a while and have not the faintest of what it's benefits are, if any.

Greenfinch Sat 15-Jul-17 12:26:06

I have just received an invitation to a wine tasting at one of their branches.£5 has to be paid as a deposit and will be used against the first bottle of wine you buy.Talk about enforced buying.The money isn't even a discount.Are we that gullible ?

Glenfinnan Sat 15-Jul-17 08:08:04

You also get to see sale items on line a few days before the general public. Note though I selected a few items put them in my 'basket' and before I could pay someone else also selected them and they were removed! Be quick off the mark, sorry for the pun if you want a bargain !

SueDonim Thu 13-Jul-17 23:18:16

How do you remember what's on your card, when you get to the shop? I can never recall!

Jane10 Thu 13-Jul-17 11:57:56

I don't get email offers. I just check online before I go. Then I click on what seems most useful to me and its uploaded to my card.

GrandmaMoira Thu 13-Jul-17 10:50:57

I've not come across the 10% discount. I shall have to look for that. I don't usually check my offers by email but when shopping the assistant sometimes offers to check what I can get with my card that day.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Jul-17 20:52:55

perhaps I opted for the 10% discount as my bill seems to get adjusted

Oh dear, I used to be so efficient when I was working
I wore out my efficiency years ago.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Jul-17 20:51:34

Can never find anything that vaguely appeals in M & S so have never had one of their cards

A pair of chinos (just the one item)
And food.
grin

Moocow Wed 12-Jul-17 20:27:48

I have one but cannot be organised enough to make use/sense of its advantages, I need straight-forward things, the one opportunity I have to shop now and again does not need to be taken up with time-consuming systems.

Jane10 Wed 12-Jul-17 18:06:36

I just got one and opted for the 10% discount. I thought that would be a one off but apparently not. Fine by me.

NanTheWiser Wed 12-Jul-17 17:46:30

Just to add to my previous post, I had been thinking about buying new bathroom towels recently, and a couple of weeks ago got an offer of 20% off towels among other things, so I took advantage of it! I also bought two sets of Egyptian cotton bedding back in January with a 20% discount after buying a new bed. If I see something I fancy in Marks, I sometimes wait (not too long, they sell out!) to see if an offer comes through for that category, and it often does. Usually offers arrive every week on a Thursday afternoon, so I watch out for them.

And don't forget, your chosen charity benefits every time you use your card, which is a nice bonus.

glammanana Wed 12-Jul-17 10:54:08

Ive had my card since they first started and had quite a few emails for offers since then read the emails and click to add to your card as nanthewiser says and your discount comes off at checkout as long as you are within the offer dates,the other week I stocked up on bread for my freezer as it was on reduced price with a further 20% discount at checkout so we have a nice selection of breads and batch cakes for the next month or so.

HildaW Wed 12-Jul-17 10:46:48

I soon realised it was not like a Nectar or Boots card.....you have to be religiously pro-active with it on line.....probably so they can 'monitor' your spending habits.....I threw mine out pretty sharpish.

Teetime Wed 12-Jul-17 10:32:57

My sparks card is sitting here on my desk. Although if I do shop in M& S its the food section of the local garage or on line. We do not have an M & S within several miles. The offers are unclear to me and I have switched of their interminable E-mails offering me things I cannot get, do not want or are only in store- waste of purse space so it sits here annoying me.

SueDonim Wed 12-Jul-17 00:58:43

I have a Sparks card but the offers are generally pretty useless to me, partly because I don't live near a store and have to pay for parking when I can visit one.

They kept sending me discounts on lobsters - no idea why as I've never bought a lobster!

tanith Tue 11-Jul-17 22:35:22

Can never find anything that vaguely appeals in M & S so have never had one of their card

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Jul-17 22:15:39

Same as whitewave

I wave the card around at the till in M&S but have no idea what happens next.

whitewave Tue 11-Jul-17 21:52:16

nan your name obviously suits yousmile

NanTheWiser Tue 11-Jul-17 21:50:37

I've had a Sparks card since they were introduced. You need to be signed up for emails, and you'll be sent regular offers, which you click to add to card. The more you spend in M&S, the more points you earn, and the more frequent the offers become, so it is accumulative, I've bought quite a few clothing items with a 20% discount, so I'm not complaining!

Greenfinch Tue 11-Jul-17 21:50:02

I can empathise with your DH NanKate.Your post reminded me that my introductory offer was a free coffee.I spent about £3 in petrol to drive to our nearest outlet so as not to miss the expiry date.?☺

NanKate Tue 11-Jul-17 21:42:22

Hi Greenfinch yes I think the whole Sparks idea is as clear as mud.

NanKate Tue 11-Jul-17 21:40:53

I don't know either WW but I like the discounts, but I can't imagine it will go on.

DH has just got himself a card too but opted for a free cream tea as his choice of offer. I had to remind me we weren't going anywhere near an M and S in the following 10 days that it was on offer to him. Now he us complaining that he hasn't had a 10% discount like me. hmm