Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Incontinence (...so NOT sexy!)

(15 Posts)
YankeeGran Tue 25-Jul-17 14:02:10

Following a stroke, my husband now suffers from night time incontinence. I have easily washable protective padding on the bed, but he cannot find incontinence pants effective enough to absorb everything 'coming through' (as it were) ... so in theory they should prevent the need for bed protection, but in reality he has found nothing that does the job. Any suggestions for ultra absorbent pants?

merlotgran Tue 25-Jul-17 14:17:55

After my mother had a stroke she was visited by an incontinence nurse from her GP surgery who arranged a regular delivery of inco-pads which are graded in size to match the degree of incontinence.

Maybe your surgery has a similar service or can put you on to somewhere that does?

These pads are all available on eBay - it's just case of getting the right size.

paddyann Tue 25-Jul-17 14:32:36

was just about to post the same merlotgran our GP surgery were very helpful and delivered the pants in huge numbers every month.Worth a phone call to your surgery

Teetime Tue 25-Jul-17 14:36:34

I would say the same your husband is entitled to these pads FOC on the NHS often the Continence Nurse will need to assess the right type and level of need and also may have some other suggestions which I wont go into here but there are other methods of management.

YankeeGran Tue 25-Jul-17 14:37:09

Never thought of that, but will check with the surgery. Thanks to you both!

Luckygirl Tue 25-Jul-17 17:37:23

Definitely the continence nurse - try googling it for your health authority; then talk to GP and say "I want one of these!"

Luckygirl Tue 25-Jul-17 17:37:41

...."Please"....

kittylester Tue 25-Jul-17 17:39:23

Lucky grin

I came to say the same as everyone else!

silverlining48 Tue 25-Jul-17 18:36:53

Tena man is the way to go, no. 2 in the day and no. 3 at night. However no. 3 is rater than hens teeth to find and cost a small fortune.
6 weeks post surgery and we still wait to see whether the assessment done last week will agree to provide pads.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Jul-17 18:44:49

Incontinence nurse and very absorbent pads were offered my dad by the incontinence nurse all free on NHS

Coolgran65 Tue 25-Jul-17 18:49:35

My mum got a delivery DOC. Go for it.

Coolgran65 Tue 25-Jul-17 18:49:59

Sorry.... FOC

annsixty Tue 25-Jul-17 18:53:54

As the OP says "so NOT sexy" .
When I see young people starting out their lives together and all the future is so rosy, I just wonder if they ever think that one day they may be dealing with incontinence and cleaning up after ,or for, a partner. No I am sure they don't or they would perhaps never do it.

YankeeGran Thu 27-Jul-17 10:59:26

Have just collected Tena maxi absorbent pads from GP surgery. Had NO idea such a service existed - and FOC! Thanks to all who contributed.

wildswan16 Thu 27-Jul-17 11:17:31

So glad you have got sorted YankeeGran - but isn't it sad that we have to discover all these services for ourselves - surely somebody should have let you know when the problem first began that the pads were available. There needs to be some joined-up thinking between hospital/GPs/nurses.

It really isn't Gransnet responsibility to publicise them !

Do make sure you are getting everything else you are entitled to.