Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Getting rid of Economy 7

(7 Posts)
Tizliz Wed 09-Aug-17 12:59:53

kittylester we use First Utility and they just add the two meter readings together. I think that we use less electricity because I now think twice before putting the tumble drier on whereas when I was on economy7 I just used it all the time.

kittylester Wed 09-Aug-17 10:10:01

Oh, b****r, tegan. That hasn't made me feel any better. sad Thanks for your input!! flowers

We are on quite a good tariff but we could be on an even better one if it was all on one meter at one rate and I wouldn't feel guilty if I need to put the dishwasher on during the day!!

Hey ho, to coin a well known phrase!

Tegan2 Tue 08-Aug-17 20:14:01

He had one meter that gave 2 readings but couldn't switch [for some reason]. So he had to get NPower to put in a new meter [which they did] and he was then able to switch to Eon who are £300 a year cheaper. But he's still on Economy 7 [or something similar because of the storage heaters and the fact that the house is all electric]. I know it took a lot of phone calls to sort out.

Tegan2 Tue 08-Aug-17 00:31:33

The S.O. has a similar system in his holiday cottage daisy; I'll ask him tomorrow who he uses. I know he's just changed to a cheaper tariff, although it was a bit complicated to do.

Daisyanswerdo Tue 08-Aug-17 00:26:29

I've got a similar problem. I've got storage heater and although I have one meter, I have two meter numbers, because of the storage heater. So far, I've been turned down by the cheaper suppliers because they say they can't cope with the two numbers. As a pensioner on pension credit, I really need to find the best deal. This seems unfair.

Tegan2 Mon 07-Aug-17 22:14:39

I used to be with British Gas but am now with N Power; they put the two reading together as I've still got the original meter. The trouble is I can't do the sort of reading that allows me to do a price comparison. What I have been hearing about though [changing the subject somewhat] is the problems people are having with smart meters. I do wish things like this weren't so bloomin' complicated these days sad.

kittylester Mon 07-Aug-17 20:41:23

We have had Economy 7 since all 5 children were little and we had washers, dryers and dishwashers going over night. Now, the figures suggest that using Economy 7 is not as cost efficient for just the rwo of us and a bit of a tyrant.

Has anyone swapped from it to an ordinary contract. It is proving difficult to get an answer from our current, or any other, supplier. We did have one supplier who just added the two different meters together and priced it that way but they no longer do that.

Thank you for any suggestions you can give.