Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is this acceptable?

(13 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 05-Sep-17 12:12:38

I've been trying to phone my grandsons school since half 10 this morning, and it just rings until it cuts off
Grim determination now: I just keep redialling. Surely it can't be right? What if it was a real emergency?!

Luckygirl Tue 05-Sep-17 12:22:49

Weird - they usually have an answering machine.

granfromafar Tue 05-Sep-17 12:24:57

How strange! Is the school back full time or is it an inset day? Any chance you could email the office and make an enquiry? Having worked in a school, I know how hard it can be to get through, but most schools have an answering machine message with 'press 1 for....., press 2 for ..... etc.
Hope you succeed soon.

ninathenana Tue 05-Sep-17 12:27:16

No it's not acceptable, especially if the children are in school today. and I would say something when I got the opportunity.
Maybe try e-mailing them

ninathenana Tue 05-Sep-17 12:28:05

Crossed posts

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Sep-17 12:28:27

Could simply be out of order - I've had ringing out when mine was. If it's a real emergency I'd ring the LEA - they probably have an ex-directory number

Imperfect27 Tue 05-Sep-17 12:45:42

Not all schools are back today - I think some are having a training day and I think some have cut back on secretarial hours due to funding crisis. An answer-phone facility on a day of closure just prior to the start of a new school year would probably be full up with messages in no time.

BUT, if school is back, then yes, odd and not good enough. I hope you get through soon MissA.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Sep-17 12:56:37

Ah, problem solved.
There was a fault with their phone. I was starting to fume!
And... breathe!

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Sep-17 18:36:22

Well there you go - sometimes when something really surprising happens like a school not answering a phone, which is the most likely explanation - a) the school is quite happy to let the phone ring unanswered or b) the phone is out of order. It's a shame for anyone to jump the conclusion that puts the school in a bad light.

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 19:31:58

I suspect the phone is out of order, that's the most likely explanation. Possibly someone forgot to put the answer phone on.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Sep-17 20:02:43

Are my posts invisible? confused grin

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 20:08:22

Nope, a bit of agreement never goes amiss does it?

MissAdventure Tue 05-Sep-17 20:36:40

It certainly doesn't, I agree. grin I was getting het up because it took 35 phone calls to the pharmacy before they answered, a few days back. I wah starting to think nobody answered! Happy to be proved wrong.