Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Scam phone calls

(20 Posts)
AmeliaAshton Fri 15-Sep-17 09:54:38

I was plagued by scammers pretending to be from talktalk my internet service provider. After many lengthy discussion talk talk changed my phone number. I have not even given this number out not made any phone calls from this new landline number but the scammers in less than one week are back. Answering the phone is an effort and up to 6 times a day is now maki g .e so angry I want to retaliate. Would blowing a whistle down the phone be classed as assault once I know it's a scammer? They are in India. What could they do?

Hildagard Fri 15-Sep-17 10:02:43

Awful aren't they,I have them to. Try keeping them on the phone and chat about anything and everything, the weather etc they will soon put the phone down on you!! Time is money ?

Charleygirl Fri 15-Sep-17 10:16:18

I very rarely have problems, maybe one every couple of months, if that. When I bought my phone, I have 3 handsets, it came with some sort of call blocker built in and it works. Also for £2 a month I pay to have the contacts come up as names if that makes sense so that I know who is ringing me friend wise. Is your phone fixed? I can carry my hand sets around which is useful.

I use my mobile for different purposes, rarely to ring friends.

Once you realise it is a scammer you can do as suggested or leave him talking to fresh air. He will soon get tired of that. Maybe a call to your local police station to get advice re a whistle.

NannyJan53 Fri 15-Sep-17 10:17:00

Or answer, then say.....'oh someone at the door , will be back in a mo'. The leave off for 20 mins or so....they will soon get fed up and hang up.

hildajenniJ Fri 15-Sep-17 10:17:54

Get a call blocker. I have one, and any time I get a call from one of these call centres I press the big red button. So far I've blocked over 30. Getting far fewer calls now.

annsixty Fri 15-Sep-17 11:18:49

I was at a friend's 2 weeks ago having a coffee and she got one from India, it was the usual , you have a problem with your computer and I can fix it remotely, really my friend said, you expect me to believe you can fix it. Oh yes ,he said . In that case I expect you to believe that I am the fairy on top of the Christmas tree said my friend.
My other friend and I heard his expletive and the slamming down of the phone.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 11:25:03

For all suspected cold calls, scammers or not, I just listen to the first couple of sentences ( just to check) and then end the call without saying anything.They never ring back.

Baggs Fri 15-Sep-17 11:29:34

We have recently got a new phone that deals with scammers. Any number that isn't in the electronic phonebook is asked to give a name/identifier before the phone even rings in our house. If they won't do that they are blocked. I've just checked and sixteen calls have been blocked this week alone. Since we used to get annoying calls every day, we love it.

shysal Fri 15-Sep-17 11:46:15

I too have a call blocker, like this one, which was very simple to attach. You need caller ID on your phone first, which your provider will set up either free of charge or for a small fee. I rarely receive nuisance calls these days, and when I do I press the red button to block future calls from that number.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Call-Blocker-Display-Landline-Phone-Luxury-Design-1500-Number-Capacity-New/112550348034?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

aggie Fri 15-Sep-17 12:12:23

Last time I had a call from India , I pretended I was a robot and recited "your call is not important to me , please put the phone down and do not call back " he giggled and did put it down

Fairydoll2030 Fri 15-Sep-17 13:32:12

I also have Talk Talk and I've come to believe that 50% of their staff are engaged in genuine activities and the other 50% are scamming as a sideline.
I can block calls after a so called Talk employee calls me. They use a variety of different numbers - often what appears to be genuine UK ones.
If I'm in the mood for a laugh, after the caller announces they are from Talk Talk, I say 'oh, I'm so glad you called as I wanted to tell you that you have a problem with your router.' A silence usually follows before they hang up.

petra Fri 15-Sep-17 13:57:27

I use a whistle. I can't remember the last 'unwanted' call I had.

Nonnie Fri 15-Sep-17 14:08:28

Depends on my mood and how busy I am. Answering every question with a 'yes' or 'no' soon gets the message across. Saying "I would love to talk to you but I'm terribly busy, give me your home phone number and I'll call you back when I have time" usually gets rid of them quickly but I did have one your chap say "Oh, I'm sorry we're not allowed to give out our own numbers". Alternatively, put on your best housekeeper's voice and say "I'm sorry but Mrs X doesn't take sales calls" I could go on........................

Glenfinnan Sun 17-Sep-17 16:56:03

I have keyed in all my family, friends and key utility numbers into my phone's system which has a display. I simply don't answer numbers I don't recognise or those pesky International Out of Area Numbers! If someone genuine goes to answer phone then I call them back. If numbers go to answerphone that I don't want then I block them.

Welshwife Sun 17-Sep-17 18:11:42

I was told by a friend that when she got a phone call about the house etc she simply told them she was only renting the house - that works a treat out here in France as 99% of calls want to know if you are the owner of the house. I get far fewer calls since using that line.
I have also asked an English speaking computer expert from India if his mother knew how he was trying to defraud people for a living. He put the phone down pretty fast.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Sep-17 18:14:25

I am constantly plagued with calls, and it really gets me down sometimes. At least with talktalk you have the option to block the last number, and report it at the same time.

Thebeeb Sun 17-Sep-17 18:48:50

My DS used to say I'll just pass you on to someone who can help and give the phone to the baby. Now he just leaves it until they get fed up.

I like to play games and throw the questions back to them like if they say I've had an accident I will say oooh do tell me about it I didn't know about that or ask them what business is it of theirs. They soon cotton on and put phone down.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Sep-17 19:07:38

I have a particular 'lifestyle survey' company calling from abroad up to ten times a day lately. I block one number, and they phone back from a slightly different one a few hours later.

Pittcity Sun 17-Sep-17 19:50:55

We have unplugged the landline and simply use our mobiles which already have caller display and a handy block button.

fourormore Sun 17-Sep-17 21:29:27

We invested in a call blocker and have not received a nuisance call since.
We were getting so many and when they were ringing at 7.30 in the morning it became beyond a joke as that is the time that you fear it is a call from S/DIL calling for help as one or other GC is poorly.
Prior to call blocker days I used to say that they would have to speak to hubby, hold on and I would fetch him. I never did of course but funnily enough when I checked a few minutes later (or longer if I felt devillish!) they had gone! Strange that!
However, there is a serious side to these nuisance calls - we have an elderly neighbour who over-reacts to the point of panic every time phone rings. We are terrified she will fall as she attempts to get to the phone before it stops ringing. She refuses a call blocker as in her words it "may be someone important"
She buys a lot of items via mail order (especially when there is a prize draw involved!) and we have tried to explain that these firms sell on her details so she will get more and more junk mail and calls but she just doesn't understand bless her.
The targeting of people like her makes me mad! angry