Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Internet flowers

(28 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 03-Oct-17 10:17:51

I recently received flowers by post/courier. They came from a company that I've seen advertised on the internet and whose website promises wonderful bouquets. When they arrived they were one of the saddest bunches of flowers imaginable - like the worst of 'garage' flowers. It was a 'bunch' of flowers, not a bouquet, the petals were crushed because they were in full flower, several of the stems were broken, they were in a cheap plastic 'garage type' wrapper and to be honest they looked as if they cost £3.99. They did in fact cost £23.99 - the box they came in was more attractive!!
I contacted the company and received an immediate apology and they sent replacement flowers, so I can't fault their after sales service, but it got me thinking about all the times I've sent flowers and wondering if the recipients were actually pleased with what they received.

So what's been your experience and which companies would/wouldn't you recommend?

grannyactivist Thu 05-Oct-17 16:33:46

I was talking about this with my mother-in-law who frequently receives flowers and she said that M&S and Waitrose or the local florist are consistently good.

Newquay Thu 05-Oct-17 09:21:47

Another sister in law and I, last night decided on Interflora. Flowers certainly LOOK good-will let you know. . .

lemongrove Thu 05-Oct-17 09:21:36

I used to use Interflora ( years ago ) for relatives living hundreds of miles away, I do wonder now what the flowers were actually like!
A few years ago a friend sent me flowers when I was ill ( from Waitrose) nice flowers too but in a state of wilt which water didn’t revive, a waste of her money.

Anya Thu 05-Oct-17 08:31:37

Another thumbs up for Bunches from me.

Smithy Thu 05-Oct-17 08:12:19

I have used Bunches several times in the past. I have mainly sent carnations and in all cases they have been lovely and lasted for weeks.

mumofmadboys Thu 05-Oct-17 07:37:00

I tend to send M and S flowers and they always seem good

TwiceAsNice Wed 04-Oct-17 20:17:12

I have had lovely flowers from both M&S and Next

Newquay Wed 04-Oct-17 18:58:12

Oh help! Am about to send some flowers to a dear sister in law in Oz for her 70th. Who do I go with?

Menopaws Tue 03-Oct-17 22:35:02

Use Interflora often and never had a problem

BBbevan Tue 03-Oct-17 21:29:46

I very often use Scilly Flowers. Great, beautiful bunches of narcissus in winter and spring or carnations in summer. Always beautifully fresh. Not a large choice of flowers but an excellent service. Can highly recommend.

Azie09 Tue 03-Oct-17 21:29:40

I've ordered flowers from both Waitrose and M&S, both were beautiful and good value and were much appreciated by the recipients. One of those times when I think you get what you paid for.

Deedaa Tue 03-Oct-17 20:44:44

When DH was ill his employers (Waitrose) sent him a wonderful vase of flowers. Whether it was the same as customers get I can't say.

silverlining48 Tue 03-Oct-17 19:47:22

My husband sent me a birthday card and some potted roses from moon pig. The flowers were very expensive for what they were but worse, they were dying. i was very disappointed, contacted moon pig and they promised to refund.
They did refund after a couple of weeks but not the total amount, they must nave deducted the cost of the card.
As a postscript i dudnt thriw them out but popped them in to bigger pots, and guess what? They picked up and are looking good and in flower!

JackyB Tue 03-Oct-17 17:27:18

I have to rely on sending flowers as I live in a different country from my mother. I use Bunches.co.uk and she has always been pleased with them. Very good service and the flowers keep for up to 3 weeks. The web site is nice too. My parents used to send me flowers from. Dutch company but they really weren't very nice.

I will compare with some of the other suggestions made here. Time I sent her some more! It is one of the few joys she has left.

durhamjen Tue 03-Oct-17 16:03:43

I use that company, Teetime, and everyone has said how good the flowers are. It's usually because I do not know if the people I am sending them to are in.
One point is not to send them to people with a dog who do not have a cage on the back of the letterbox.
It could be too tempting.

Teetime Tue 03-Oct-17 15:56:52

If I want to send to someone I contact a florist where they live and get a fresh bunch delivered rather than an internet florist. Having said that my sister used Bloom and Wild - she sent me some beautiful flowers last week all individually packed and in a long box which can go through a letterbox - ingenious.

M0nica Tue 03-Oct-17 15:09:39

I order all my internet flowers from John Lewis. I have visited some of the recipients shortly after the bouquets have been delivered and have always been very satisfied with what was sent.

DF used to send me a beautiful bunch of freesias every Christmas, direct from a company in the Channel Islands and they too always arrived fresh and beautiful.

harrigran Tue 03-Oct-17 13:37:34

DD lives abroad and sends me flowers several times a year, she rings the florist half a mile from my home and they deliver. They have always been wonderful, if they were not I would be able to complain in person.

SueDonim Tue 03-Oct-17 13:36:37

I've recently used a couple of Internet flower companies and they've been excellent. The first I've forgotten the name of but the second is eflorist.

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:31:23

I agree with Nonnie it's so easy to do with the internet to help you find local florists and paying on the phone with your card

NanaandGrampy Tue 03-Oct-17 13:13:29

I too had a terrible ‘bunch’ of flowers. I knew my daughter had paid a lot of money and I couldn’t bring myself to tell her so I called to complain to the company. I explained how I didn’t order them and if they couldn’t deal with me then I didn’t want to take it any further.

The lady couldn’t have been nicer and an upgraded bunch arrived the next day.

I shall be telling my daughter I’d rather have the money and buysomeat the supermarket each week. They guarantee 7 days life for their flowers and I can get a lovely selection for about £7 a bunch. So several weeks worth for the same price.

annodomini Tue 03-Oct-17 11:46:52

I've ordered flowers by post from a Cornish flower farm several times and the recipients have been very satisfied with the packaging and the freshness of the flowers. The flowers they supply are in season, grown on their own premises. They also supply local Cornish products.
I hope I am allowed to give a link: www.flowerfarm.co.uk/
and they also have a Facebook page.

Nonnie Tue 03-Oct-17 11:36:30

I received a very tall box with flowers in a couple of days ago as an apology from a utility company and the flowers are lovely but a box a third of the size would have been sufficient.

I never order flowers from these companies, what is the point? It is so easy to go online, find a florist near the recipient and actually talk to them on the phone. I have a very strong dislike of carnations so can make that clear and discuss my preferences. Sometimes the florist is so close to the recipient that they don't charge for delivery. I think that having spoken to the florist you are more likely to get a better arrangement.

Liz46 Tue 03-Oct-17 11:09:43

I feel awful that my daughter has spent so much on sending flowers to me. How can I tell her that they are rubbish? I managed to hint that I would prefer a voucher so that I could go to our local nursery and buy a container of plants instead and this did work once.

MiniMouse Tue 03-Oct-17 10:43:44

My DS has sent me flower arrangements, plus a hamper on one occasion, from a Well Known floral company and on both occasions they were a disgrace! When I phoned the florist, who had made up the arrangement, she couldn't have been more apologetic, but said that she had to adhere to what the company strictly instructed - and added that she'd added to their skimpy allowance of how many flowers she should include because she was embarrassed at how skimpy it looked! The hamper, on a separate occasion, arrived with broken jars and one with the lid open!

Both times I complained to the company and they apologised and sent vouchers, but that doesn't make up for the disappointment and I've never used them since and nor has my DS!

I now ring a florist local to the recipient and ask them to deliver a bouquet of something suitable from their shop.