Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Organ Donor

(81 Posts)
Serkeen Thu 05-Oct-17 18:08:18

Is this something you have thought about ??

twitter.com/twitter/statuses/915968825232957440

Serkeen Fri 06-Oct-17 11:05:52

It is probably the best give anyone could ever give to know too that even though you have left this earth and your time here is done that someone can still benefit from what you had, just so amazing

So many nice stories on here smile

inishowen Fri 06-Oct-17 11:11:21

I've carried the same card since they came out around 1972. I don't know if they'd want anything from me now. My organs are 65 years old.

Gaggi3 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:26:06

I'm on the register, which I consented to when I renewed my driving licence. I don't think I'll be much good for organ donation, but am happy to have my body used for research or for medical students to use.

starlily106 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:28:40

I am now too old to donate organs, but i carried a card for years. Now i am hoping to leave my body for use after I pop off. I have had quite a lot of operations through the years, and would be happy to repay for all the treatment I have had. When i worked for NBTS, as well as donating blood regularly, I also used to give extra blood which was used for crossmatching for people who were needing donated kidneys.

POGS Fri 06-Oct-17 11:45:10

I take it most posters will be happy to see the government change to an ' OPT OUT ' system then.

Good.

saoirse1961 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:57:44

I had a heart transplant 2 years ago. Thank God the lady signed the register or I wouldn’t be here.

annerogers Fri 06-Oct-17 12:09:04

When my 32 year old niece died suddenly and unexpectedly just two months after her wedding her parents and husband gave consent for her organs to be harvested. When we arrived at the wake all feeling extremely emotional, her father bravely stood up and announced that Ali's generosity had saved four lives, three of the recipients having already been discharged from hospital. This led to a round of applause ( and many more tears). About 18 months later her parents received a letter from the recipient of her heart, pouring out her gratitude. She was a mother and had feared she would die before her daughter's prom as she only been given days to live. Her name was also Ali. Yes I would like to see an Opt Out system.

Miep1 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:18:48

I doubt any of my organs are worth having, but anyone is welcome to any bits they can use. Opt out is the only sensible way to go

newnanny Fri 06-Oct-17 12:41:08

I think the opt out system will increase the number of organs for use to save lives as I think some people mean to register but simply don't get around to it. It also still allows those who really don't want to donate their organs to opt out. I would not like to see a compulsory aspect to organ donation though.

princesspamma Fri 06-Oct-17 12:56:32

I am registered online, and before online, carried a card the whole of my adult life. I absolutely believe in the Organ Donor Register scheme, and would always encourage everyone to sign up. In fact I find it hard to see why one wouldn't, unless they have a particular issue with it (hubby is happy to donate everything, except his eyes, and admits it is irrational, but it is a real issue for him), or it goes against their religious beliefs for some reason. However, once you move to an opt-out situation, it is no longer an altruistic choice that one makes as an individual, but something more regarded as a civic duty. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but for me it is is too much state intervention, even though i truly do understand the rationale behind it, and the need for more donors. I would never opt out because it is needed, but unless hubby can opt out an individual organ, they may well lose him.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Oct-17 12:58:22

Its surprising to read how many peoples lives the transplant process has touched, both by donating and receiving organs. Makes me more inclined to make sure I'm registered.

glynis1234 Fri 06-Oct-17 13:35:57

I live in Wales, here we have to opt out. I think it is a good system.

SueDoku Fri 06-Oct-17 13:38:37

My Uncle (DM's brother) died from kidney failure when he was 36 and had two young children. My DGF begged to be allowed to donate a kidney - but this was 1957, and the transplant program was in its experimental stages, so he was turned down... Having seen what the sudden death of a fit young man did to the entire extended family, I've carried a donor card all my adult life, and signed up online as soon as it became possible. It's such a huge gift - & makes such a difference that I'm really glad to see an opt-out system being introduced, as so much pain can be avoided flowers

Legs55 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:02:20

I have carried a Donor Card for years but I am on the Donor Register as well. My Driving Licence is renewed every year so I sign the consent on the form.

I have long believed that we should have an opt-out system & that you should let your family know your wishes.

win Fri 06-Oct-17 14:57:44

My DS died 23 years ago at the age of 23, so we have just reached the halfway milestone, which feels really strange.. He had always carried a donor card since the age of 16 years. They used everything possible and we were told he helped 6 people and possibly more.

It actually helps me tremendously to know that out there part of my DS is living on, giving quality of life to people who otherwise might not have been alive themselves today. We received a wonderful thank you letter from one recipient through the donor organisation, which I still treasure. Needless to say I too carry a donor card, and feel strongly that everyone should

millymouge Fri 06-Oct-17 15:28:57

princesspama I can understand your husband not wishing to donate his eyes. I am on the register because I think it is the right thing to do, but cannot donate my eyes. I know it probably sound totally stupid but for some reason I feel I must keep them or I won't be able to see God. DH looked totally bemused when I told him this. Oh dear writing this makes me sound totally batty, but we all have our funny ideas.

ladycatlover Fri 06-Oct-17 16:41:24

I am not allowed to donate because I have ME/CFS.

I did have a signed card in my wallet until I was told I couldn't be a donor though.

maddy629 Fri 06-Oct-17 18:56:40

I don't carry a card and don't intend to. When I get to the other side I want to be intact, sorry.

Elrel Fri 06-Oct-17 19:13:04

Annerogers - beautiful story, so much kindness and generosity on this thread.

Grandmama Fri 06-Oct-17 20:18:34

Thank you Maddy629. I thought I was the only gran not carrying a card. Many, many years ago I used to carry a kidney card but lost it (card, not the kidney). I don't want to be carved up but reading the posts I see how many peoples lives have been prolonged/renewed through organ donation. Still think I might opt out though.

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:23:10

I actually think that when/if the new system comes in that anyone who opts out would be denied a transplant if they ever needed one. I can't believe that anyone who believes in 'the other side' would think that being 'intact' meant anything at all. If those of you who wouldn't donate actually knew anyone ( as some of us do) who have had a transplant I can't believe you would still feel that way. For me it's completely incomprehensible to deny someone the chance of life if you could possibly offer it.

dbDB77 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:37:29

It's a personal choice and people who opt out, for whatever reason, should not be made to feel guilty.

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:55:20

Why would they feel guilty? It's their choice. Those of us who don't agree with that choice are free to say so, it's not my responsibility if that makes them feel guilty. I know two wonderful families who would not be as they are today without two even more wonderful families who gave them the gift of life.

maryeliza54 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:57:17

I only ever feel guilt when I feel I've done something wrong - isn't that how it works?

Tallyann1 Fri 06-Oct-17 23:03:50

I don't often post but enjoy comments some make me laugh and some make me cry...my daughter has had her life saved by being transplanted 3separate Times,after her first she became a world transplant volleyball champion,we were are and continue to be so very proud of her and her attitude to her "little" problem.
Eighteen months ago she was diagnosed with cancer,very likely to have been brought on by the the very medication she takes in order to keep her kidney...she's in remission but still has to take that medication....just imagine..having to keep taking anti rejection drugs to keep the organ someone has died to give you even though the docs say it's likely they caused your cancer.
And while we're discussing donation as well as the very brave families who donated their loved ones organs...let's talk about blood donors without whom again my daughter would have died...So to donors of all descriptions and their bravehearted families..Thank you..Thank you from the bottom of my heart..I think of you all often,and when we go to the British Transplant Games and World Transplant Games and see all of those taking part it fills me with sadness because human beings have been so very generous and pride to see those taking part doing their best for raising awareness of organ donation and being determined to live the life they've been given.
Sorry for waffling on...
Ps the next World Transplant Games are in Newcastle ....if you want an uplifting experience..go and watch..I defy you not to be moved.
Good night and God bless x