Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ideas for starters

(9 Posts)
kittylester Mon 09-Oct-17 20:53:36

At the end of October my dad would have been 100 so I have invited both my brothers and their wives round for supper

I've sorted the main - sausage and mash - and the pud - baked apples - but I'm stuck for some ideas for very easy starters or canapés.

Any suggestions please?

M0nica Mon 09-Oct-17 20:57:55

smoked salmon or mackerel pate with crispbread, egg mayonnaise, big mushrooms, blanched in the microwave, filled with a mix of breadcrumbs and stilton cheese and baked in the oven for 20 minutes.

cornergran Mon 09-Oct-17 21:12:42

Think I'd offer some soup, sort of fits with the rest of a menu I'd be more than happy to eat.

chelseababy Mon 09-Oct-17 21:14:37

Baked camembert with crusty bread and celery

dustyangel Mon 09-Oct-17 21:15:27

I was thinking soup as well kitty. First of all I thought tomato but then thought no, brown soup, Brown Windsor soup.

NanKate Mon 09-Oct-17 21:26:14

Fresh dates stuffed with cream cheese, yummie. Or some baked veggie spring rolls from supermarket.

I have had something called devils on horseback which were stoned prunes wrapped in crispy bacon and served warm. What about ?with butter?

Hope you have a jug of custard to go with the baked apples.

I’m getting hungry.

Deedaa Mon 09-Oct-17 22:09:31

A very easy starter is a thin wedge of Brie warmed through, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped walnuts.

Auntieflo Mon 09-Oct-17 22:15:20

Deedaa, that sounds yummy and would be my choice.

mumofmadboys Mon 09-Oct-17 23:12:22

Smoked mackerel pate and toast.