Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do the "Have Nots" get on in life?

(188 Posts)
grannysue05 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:15:57

The "Have Nots" were briefly mentioned in another thread, and it got me thinking about how these people/families get on in life.
Whilst I discount people who have serious illnesses/mental health issues/disabilities, surely the rest CAN make something of their lives.
One of the worries regarding Brexit is that there will not be enough mid Europeans to do the "dirty" jobs. (please don"t go into the subject of Brexit).
I remember back in the fifties, sixties and even seventies that many people had to struggle to get on and earn a living.
Earn was the operative word. Nobody expected something for nothing, and benefits were unheard of.
Young people avoided pregnancy (one way or another) until they could AFFORD to keep a child.
Everyone saved up for what they had as HP (Hire Purchase) was frowned upon.
Nobody I ever knew expected to have washing machines, fridges (except little mini things) or other household luxuries. You saved for them.
Branded, luxury clothing and TV's or nice cars and holidays only came your way if you actually worked hard for them.
And having a roof over your head....well, countless couples started married life living with the in-laws.
So, with todays "Have Nots", having nothing to look forward to, what should they all be doing?
Should they get out there and take on some of the work that goes to mid- Europeans?
Should women stop having children as a "right". Never mind that they have no means of supporting them.
Should people (especially the young), get out and find work, instead of siting in their expensive trainers and playing on their iphones?
At one time you got out of life what you put into it.
I think that maxim still holds true.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:18:47

What do you mean crawl in the winter? Why not report them - if I was so sure of all my facts that someone was cheating the system, I would.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:19:45

And anyway why mention them at all ?

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:25:32

Because I am bloody annoyed that's why and if others can post of a nurse using a food bank why not post of two benefit cheats , I didn't bring up zero contract hours , what has that to do with the O/P

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:27:24

Spelling error - CAWL , I expect you would report them , I wouldn't

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:29:43

Well with all the personal information you put on here and now your description of the twins ( and they must be unique in your town) they are easily identifiable to the DWP.

GillT57 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:29:48

If as you suspect, they are benefit cheats, report them to DWP. I would do so, the same as I would report someone for cheating HMRC by working cash in hand and not paying VAT, two sides of the same coin, cheating is cheating however you look at it.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:30:33

What does CAWL mean?

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:31:13

Why won’t you report them — according to you they are breaking the law

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:31:37

I do not suspect - I know and I would not report anyone

Jane10 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:31:44

Anniebach knows what she's on about. She's done a lot of good direct work with and for people in need of all sorts. Hearing about those two must be absolutely infuriating for her.
It's people like that who give all benefits claimants a bad name. Not fair to others.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:33:36

Exactly Jane so not reporting them is very unfair to other decent claimants

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:36:11

Thank you Jane, I am so angry, I have got free furniture for them and now worried who had a genuine need and had to wait .

Why is speaking of benefit cheats such a crime

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:38:12

Being a benefit cheat is a crime and knowing they are you are colluding with this and as you say others who are genuine go without or have to wait longer~ how is that fair?

Iam64 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:38:39

Well said MawBroon.
I do wonder where those who denigrate the yoof of today, whilst suggesting most of us grew up and lived in a country I never knew, where no one got pregnant out of 'wedlock', no one had HP, everyone worked hard and saved and there was no such thing as benefits. Benefits - in the mid 60's people still got clothing grants and other support as well as their unemployment benefit. Jobs were more plentiful and offered greater job security. Young women and girls who became pregnant often disappeared for several months, often to tell people on return they'd been sent to a mother and baby unit and their baby removed and adopted.
Give me 2017 with all its problems any day.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:43:19

Unlike you maryeliza i do not report people, I leave reporting to the dogooders , I know of their up bringing

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 18:47:51

I feel just like annie but in my case over tax avoiders/evasion. So much more money goes missing, than the ever does on benefits cheats.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:54:05

whitewave, I see no difference between benefit cheats and tax dodgers but would not report them , we will always have both. I wouldn't feel I had done what was right if I reported anyone , the thought that I may feel smug is enough to put me off.

minesaprosecco Wed 11-Oct-17 18:56:28

But you're happy to talk about them on a public forum Annie. If the Daily Mail gets its claws into this thread they could well be reported. It would balance things out a bit if you wrote about some of the benefits claimants you know who are not cheating the system.

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 18:58:11

I would definately report tax cheats, and in fact have done on more than one occasion.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 18:58:43

I have often spoken of those in need , genuine need

minesaprosecco Wed 11-Oct-17 18:59:18

Fair play then.

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 19:00:42

I am surprised the Daily Mail reads this forum considering many posters think it not worthy to be used as emergency loo paper ?

Anniebach Wed 11-Oct-17 19:02:09

But whitewave, apart from numbers there is no difference

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 19:04:22

Are you talking about the principle of the two illegal acts annie?

Chewbacca Wed 11-Oct-17 19:09:20

Why all piling onto Annie because she's cross about 2 people, whom she knows personally, that are claiming benefits and using food banks but able to go on holiday to Thailand? She hasn't tarred every claimant with the same brush; she was quite clear that she said 2.

And if you want to know what CAWL is Maryeliza, Google it.