Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Here's a silly one ...

(55 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sat 14-Oct-17 13:23:26

My son cannot stand 'Minions'. He maintains that if he is out and about he cannot go half a day without seeing one somewhere. Is he right?

For my part, I don't think I can get past half a day without hearing the word Brexit. But that is a whole other argument ... grin

HurdyGurdy Sun 15-Oct-17 09:51:49

For me, it's unicorns. They have suddenly exploded onto everything. Goodness knows why. They have always been around, but never as prolific as recently

Bellanonna Sun 15-Oct-17 09:54:26

I don’t live on Rannochmoor, but I’d certainly never heard of them until now. I must consult the GCs.

Anniebach Sun 15-Oct-17 10:06:34

Well they passed me by, can't say I'm sorry grin

sarahellenwhitney Sun 15-Oct-17 10:45:58

Floradora9
I agree and feel the same concerning a certain winner of Bake off.
Baking a cake for Queen Elizabeth's 90th birthday, great. well done. Can I open a magazine minus her recipes.? Can I watch a TV struggles in life interview that shows other Bake off winners? I walk into my local supermarket book section dominated by none other than a picture of this winner advertising her book of recipes..
Give us a break.

Craftycat Sun 15-Oct-17 11:19:56

Oh dear- I love Minions & enjoyed all 3 films ( Trolls are taking over now anyway so expect to see them everywhere). I love Mary Berry & use her recipes all the time. I enjoyed Harry Potter when the books came out & saw all the films. Unicorns are actually making me money as they are so popular that anything with unicorn on sells very well at the Craft Fairs I do.
I do dislike the daft word Brexit though- don't know why we need a special word for it anyway- just getting out of Europe ASAP would do.

grannysue05 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:20:47

Pink flamingoes on home decor, cushions,dinner plates,swimwear,notebooks....the list goes on.
Can't stand them, but items have started arriving in our charity shop, so they must be going out of fashion. Phew!

MissAdventure Sun 15-Oct-17 11:28:06

I can't bear all the 'pug' items. Pictures of them wearing tiaras and tutus, and so on.

MawBroon Sun 15-Oct-17 11:33:04

Oh dear, “grumpygransRus” today or what?
We had Gonks, Trolls, Prudence Kitten, Muffin the Mule, our children had Wombles, Zig and Zag from the planet Zog, Douglas. Florence and Zebedee - what harm do (silly) Minions, unicorns, pink flamingoes do anybody?
TBH I never come across them in my everyday life, (other than when choosing cards etc for the DGCs ) but if I did I hope I would sound a bit more tolerant than some people on here.

widgeon3 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:44:32

When grandson was being dictatorial I said 'You must think I'm some sort of minion'
How he laughed then my daughter explained what the modern interrpretation was.
Yet another very useful word bites the dust!

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Oct-17 11:45:49

The Minions films are a darn sight better than those endless saccharin My Little Pony and Care Bears ones I sat (snored) through back in the day! My DGS3 adores Mr Spicable (Gru from Despicable Me smile).

GrandmaL Sun 15-Oct-17 12:46:11

Ha ha the 68 and 71 year old grandads must be popular with the grandchildren liking minions! I used to know all the latest fads but found as my children grew up I lost touch, but now I'm enjoying learning again with my four grandchildren! I don't always get it ( sat through the minions movies without a clue!) but enjoy keeping in touch with what's popular, it's fun! Don't want to turn into an old grump!

Llamedos13 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:11:23

00mam00, you are not alone, I too have never read or watched any Harry Potter and don't ever plan to.

Jaxie Sun 15-Oct-17 13:27:08

I hate minions too, especially as when I get visitors, which you do often if you live at the seaside, I feel like a bleeping minion myself, running around making beds, cleaning bathrooms, cooking special meals. My current hate though are those dopey women advertising toothbrushes and toothpaste on tv. They speak to the camera as if we were all mentally defective. Their constant repetition makes me ant to put a brick through the tv screen.

maddy629 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:03:47

My 6 year old grandson likes Minions.

lemongrove Sun 15-Oct-17 18:09:12

I suppose there is a lot of Minion merchandise around the place, but can’t say I notice it very often.
What I say is, bring back Flat Eric!

lemongrove Sun 15-Oct-17 18:12:23

Flat Eric!

lemongrove Sun 15-Oct-17 18:15:19

And again

suzied Sun 15-Oct-17 18:33:42

I can't stand fabric with skulls printed on ...seems to be everywhere. I even saw a baby's jumper with skulls on - why would anyone put a baby in one of those?.

Legs55 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:02:54

Never read Harry Potter or seen a Film featuring him, luckily my DGS1 hasn't discovered him yet.

Lots of Minions as both DD & DGS1 love them, I bought a large one for DD 2 years ago.

DD was into Roland Rat, My Little Pony & Care Bears.

EmilyHarburn Sun 15-Oct-17 19:54:39

Never heard of Minions before. But here they are:

www.minionsmovie.com/minions.html

W11girl Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:43

I'm afraid I wouldn't know a Minion if I saw one! I must be out of touch or move in circles where there aren't any! However I'm sick to death of brexit, brexit, brexit....I end up shouting at the TV/Radio..saying "shut-up and get on with it!!"

Herbie9 Sun 15-Oct-17 22:03:17

My grandson loved Minions and had lots of fun doing puzzles, reading books and carrying round his Minion bag which was filled with more Minion stuff. They have given a lot of pleasure to young (and not so young) children. Always bring a smile.

petalmoore Mon 16-Oct-17 00:02:43

Dr Who and Strictly. No, these are not national news and I Just Wouldn’t Care if neither were ever mentioned again. But they will be, they will ... resigned shrug

mimiro Mon 16-Oct-17 00:17:03

amazon sold out so he is not alone

ninathenana Mon 16-Oct-17 08:19:53

I have a friend who is obsessed with unicorn embelished items she has loads.
I too could not understand the "thing" for flamingos, and pugs but they are not as ugly as the trend for all things cacti shaped.
Why confused ??