Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

luck comes in threes

(8 Posts)
jusnoneed Sun 15-Oct-17 10:22:12

No notes/coins are obsolete as such Jacky, just some are no longer in circulation. The five pound note have changed from the paper ones to smaller plastic ones. Now the ten pound note is in the process of doing the same but you can use both types at the moment. The pound coins have also changed, old ones are about to vanish.
The banks will take old currency in though. You may have to find someone with an account to pay it into as they say they won't exchange old for new.

JackyB Sun 15-Oct-17 09:39:54

Please tell me what money is going to be obsolete soon. I have several notes in my drawer which are now useless because I had them in my purse and they had become obsolete between visits to the UK.

Charleygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 09:31:08

Anya that really is good.

Every time I clear out drawers I find at the very least a fiver and yesterday it was £20 + small change.

MaggieMay60 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:27:54

Wow Anya Lucky indeed! smile

Anya Sun 15-Oct-17 09:08:38

Cheque not check!

Anya Sun 15-Oct-17 09:08:12

Oddly enough ‘yes’ has to be the answer to that. I changed fuel suppliers and a check for £79 arrived last Monday from my old supplier (despite them saying I wasn’t owed anything) then another my ‘excess’ payment of £300 from an accident I was involved in in 2011 was refunded on Wednesday as it was decided I wasn’t not to blame and then a substantial payment of over £10,00 arrived yesterday for a PPI which I’d been told I wasn’t entitled to, but which I referred to the Financial Ombudsman.

Happy days ?

Imperfect27 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:36:28

Woo, lucky you indeed, MaggieMay!

Not luck here, but joy ... Joy of welcoming DS1 home for an overnight stay from hospital, joy of welcoming more family for a Sunday brunch and joy of unexpected job fulfillment So not a bad week for me either!

MaggieMay60 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:30:13

I feel really lucky this week because , whilst looking through old purses/wallets for he soon to be extinct round pound I found £120 in an old wallet of my DH - he can't remember when he last used it! Then we were clearing out the rubbish from behind the garage and found an almost full drum of creosote which can no longer be bought and in my opinion is the best thing for sheds and fences, now on said Sheds and Fences! The final piece of luck is when I was researching some family history I found you could get some information Free without going through Ancestry where you would be charged for the exactly the same thing! Oh Yesss Lucky, Lucky Me! Have you Gransnetters had any luck this week?