Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Buying an Under the Counter Freezer

(8 Posts)
Charleygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 15:43:21

I have a f/f but I am having a TKR very soon and thought that buying a small freezer would help my life immeasurably when I return home, knowing how difficult it was to cook last time when I was using crutches. This time I will do more batch cooking and have ready meals in the small freezer.

Can anybody suggest a make? I would prefer a flame retardant back, at least 3 drawers and a minimum of 15 hours power failure safety. Also frost free or manual which?- I am not asking much!

Luckygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 17:11:08

I thought you were after a fridge on the black market!! grin

Under the counter appliances require a lot of bending!

Charleygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 18:05:06

I have no choice and anyway with my present fridge/freezer the freezer section is below the fridge section. I do have another fridge which is under the work top surface and when it dies that is where the separate freezer will fit.

Auntieflo Mon 16-Oct-17 22:01:17

I am of no help whatsoever, sorry, but hope you get some help from GN. We were away when I read your post on my phone, and not concentrating I thought you had written about having a Total Kitchen Refit confused blush. Sorry.

Charleygirl Mon 16-Oct-17 22:08:56

Auntieflo I have had a full kitchen refit- I have also had the dining area knocked into the kitchen. I have a large fridge/freezer and a separate single fridge under the work top. The freezer was an afterthought because I am having major surgery performed soon and I am trying to sort everything out because I live on my own and know how difficult it was for me to cook when using crutches 5 years ago. It will be easier for storing microwaveable food.

Auntieflo Mon 16-Oct-17 22:23:11

Charleygirl, all the very best for your TKR, ( knee variety), especially as you will be managing on your own. Will you be able to convalesce somewhere for a while to help with recovery? My knee was done 22 months ago now, and I don't know how I would have managed without DH.

Scribbles Mon 16-Oct-17 23:03:44

I have an under-counter AEG freezer which I bought about 3 years ago and am very happy with (it's the only major appliance which made the move with us recently from our old house). Frost free, four drawers with a fast-freeze function for when you're batch cooking to stock it. I can't remember the "safe" time in the event of a power cut but it's at least 12 hours. No idea about the flame retardancy (if that's a word?!) of the back -sorry.
Best wishes for the opportunity and a good recovery.

Scribbles Mon 16-Oct-17 23:05:16

Wretched predictive text! That was meant to be "op", not opportunity!