Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I ‘publish’ and be damned?

(98 Posts)
Anya Thu 19-Oct-17 10:33:22

I meantioned on another thread that I’ve developed and interest in genealogy, not that anyon is interested!

But this has led me not only to research our own family tree but that of my SiL and DiL and I’m creating a book for each of then as part of their Christmas present, along the lines of Who Do You Think You Are

This week I’ve traced my DiL’s line back to the early 1800s only to find that one of her ancestors was a Very Dubious Character, being a serial bigamist, a convicted rapist (served time in prison), a dabbler in the Black Arts and is thought to have sold a customer a poison that he used to kill his wife. The customer was found guilty and hanged. This ancestor did well to escape the same fate.

Now, what do I do? This man is a direct ancestor of my DiL’s and I have checked and double checked marriage certificates, birth certificates and censuses, plus criminal records. There is even a book about him.

Would you find this ancestor an interesting addition to the family tree or would you prefer he was sidelined?

I’ll use this forum as a sounding board and take the general consensus into account when I make my decision.

Kim19 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:56:09

I wouldn't care to be on the receiving end of that, thanks.o

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Oct-17 11:25:01

Yes, if ancestry is a labour to discover the facts then I would include everything. Otherwise what’s the point?

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Oct-17 11:27:47

Please could some friendly gransnetter explain why, when I post from my iPad, my comments appear on a coloured background? Sorry for this everyone! And thanks.

radicalnan Fri 20-Oct-17 11:31:12

My great, great, grandmother had 10 children, 4 born after great,great, grandad died, she registered them all as his......what is the point of family history if there is nothing historic in it?

None of it reflects in any way upon those who are living now.

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Oct-17 12:04:59

Nothing to worry about, NotSpaghetti. This is just a recent feature which helps you find your own posts easily if you come back to a thread. Only you can see the colour on your own post - it just looks normal to the rest of us.

kazziecookie Fri 20-Oct-17 12:06:57

I quite fancy having a go at this but worry as my memory is rubbish and my parents and grandparents are no longer living to ask questions.
Is it difficult and expensive?
Any tips?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:17:54

Does your DIL know of your interest in genealogy and that you are researching her family and not just your own?

If not, I would definitely not give her the book as a Christmas present. I would be afraid that it would backfire and cause trouble.

I could live with knowing that a distant ancestor had dabbled in the black arts, but a rapist? I'm not sure.

I know it is illogical, as facts are facts, but I think I would rather find this sort of thing out for myself than have my MIL discover it for me, if she was still in the land of the living.

Apricity Fri 20-Oct-17 12:22:37

Anya, it sounds as though you have done a very thorough research job. If you are confident of your facts then include them in your family history. It is the family history and no amount of whitewashing and denial changes that. Some family members may need time to readjust their "family stories" to fit a more accurate history. As most family history researchers have discovered family "stories" are not always the same as family history. Hopefully it will open up lots of interesting family discussions.

The best story I have heard about family stories was from a guide at Edinburgh Castle who told of one American visitor who solemnly told her she was descended from Greyfriars Bobby. The guide said she just didn't know how to tell her that he was a dog.

Good luck. It's all part of the adventure.

Tessa101 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:16:11

Oh I would love to hear all good and bad. You see celebrity’s on the program hear all sorts of stuff about there ancestors I’m sure it will fine. As long as she knows your doing it I’m not sure how she will feel if you hadn’t informed her first.

Serkeen Fri 20-Oct-17 13:29:41

ARE YOU trying to spite your DIL do you have a problem with her and feel she deserves a Christmas present that makes her aware that one of her relatives was a rapist!!!!????

vampirequeen Fri 20-Oct-17 13:39:00

I think it sounds brilliant. I have found a few dubious characters in my own and my husband's family trees but never anything as exciting as that. I have an ancestor who pushed his pregnant wife down the stairs. The family had a whip round to get him out of the country before the police found him. He wanted to go to Australia but either not enough people liked him or the family were too poor as they only managed to send him to South Africa lol. DH comes from aristocracy (what happened ....why are we so poor [grin) and some of the things his ancestors got up to in the mid teen centuries are incredible and highly suspect grin.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 20-Oct-17 13:46:49

Well, same as your DIL's parents, I'd be absolutely thrilled with a book like that, gory details or not.

GadaboutGran Fri 20-Oct-17 14:19:12

This isn’t the case with Anya’s research as her in-laws have provided information but Riverwalk is right to raise the point that some people do not like others doing their direct family tree a) because it spoils the excitement of doing the research themselves or b) because it feels intrusive. You need to either check with them or know them well. Sometimes, one member of the family doesn’t mind while another does. We got started in the 70s when a relative gave us DH’s tree back to 1630, but it had only basic details so only a skeleton!
Jalima1180 - I found several in my family tree who were transported to Australia on the First Fleet and the Floating Brothel. All for minor things like stealing 2 cows in Tottenham Court Rd. At least his death sentence was commuted. It really brings history to life and led to lots more general research & reading - & possible travel to Norfolk Is & Tasmania to discover more.

VIOLETTE Fri 20-Oct-17 14:48:37

I would LOVE to find something interesting on my family tree ...been researching it way back but so far only agricultural workers in Essex on my mum's side ...apart from one, as exciting as it gets, who had a 'carter' business ! My dad's side a little more interesting ...his family were Irish, who crossed to work in shipbuilding in Greenock then moved down to Liverpool for the same reason ....but no more interesting ! I would dearly love to have a book that told me more ...and like your dil's parents, I think your dil woud find it amusing ...her parents may have already told her about the less than desirable details ! It is all in the past and I am sure a lot of us would find #interesting# skeletons in the cupboards !

marpau Fri 20-Oct-17 15:09:01

Anya I definitely think you would have a few takers on here if you wanted to take commissions lol

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 15:39:05

Anya had this been for your DD then I would say yes, publish the details, but I wouldn't do this for a DIL for obvious reasons.If she is upset about it, it will cause a rift.
There is no need really, you could end the line at the ancestor that came after him?

Skweek1 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:11:51

I love tracing family trees because you never know what you'll find and every family has its skeletons. Personally I'd include it. In my husband's family there was a bigamist who whenever anyone visited hid in the chimney, which we all find really funny!

Coconut Fri 20-Oct-17 16:51:59

Yes, publish ! Warts and all !

chicken Fri 20-Oct-17 17:04:11

Anya--- I would have been thrilled to receive such a wonderful present. My parents were orphans ,so I knew nothing about my family history until a few years ago when I started doing my own research. My own children are just not interested but I carry on researching for my own satisfaction and the occasional villain lends a lot of spice to a diet of agricultural labourers. I've found one relative who was hung for theft and two others who were transported to Australia. Just recently I found another relative who was imprisoned for six months for stealing a sack of flour; it turned out that 5lb of flour at that time cost a shilling and he, with a wife and several children to support, earned just 8 shillings a week as an agricultural labourer. How did poor families survive then?

trisher Fri 20-Oct-17 17:14:56

I think it would be great to have a notorious criminal as an ancestor. And although he was obviously a womaniser we should remember that in the past the level of proof required for conviction for a crime was not as high as it is now. Do tell her everything. She may not believe it anyway. Did you see Anne Reid on WDYTYA? I think it was her grandfather who was a scoundrel but she steadfastly continued to admire him.

Menopaws Fri 20-Oct-17 17:20:32

He's part of the tree so don't miss him out and I think you should be honest but maybe say he went to prison for assault if that feels easier. I bet if we all took our trees back far enough we would find rogues of varying degrees.

Hm999 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:19:53

My mum was pleased I was looking at family history, told me various stories about elderly relatives including her much loved grandfather who struggled to find his birth certificate from the 1860s when he wanted his state pension in the 1920s. After a year or two, I found out why. He and his brothers were all born illegitimate, each birth certificate being a slight variation of mother's husband's name and their father's, and all different. They were later legitimised when her first husband died, and she married their father. Clearly they all knew nothing about this. I chose my words and the moment with great care before I told her.

00mam00 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:22:55

Maybe everyone else is as shocked as I am about the post from SERKEEN.

I was thrilled to find that a cousin of my Father was hung by Pierrpoint for treason. Sadly not mentioned in the film.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 19:46:55

Treason is a bit different to rape, so is being ‘ a bit of a rogue’ hmm

ellenemery Fri 20-Oct-17 20:18:42

My brother found a really good site called Victorian Crime and Punishment. My husband's family originate from a very small town and there are many many members in his family, (not that he knows many of them due to a family fall out years ago.

We looked up the area of the nearest prison and then started with the surname. The records show the town of birth. We have not had chance yet to look into the names. Looking at some of the punishments has been an eye opener, 12 months hard labour for a 19 year old girl for lewdness. 10 years transportation for stealing fowl and potatoes for a 17 year old. Sorry if it is a bit off topic but for anyone looking a long way back this may of some interest.