Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandkids in Alcohol or Drug Rehab

(9 Posts)
Angus Thu 26-Oct-17 16:59:08

Does anyone out there have any experience helping get their grandkids in alcohol or drug treatment?

grannyactivist Thu 26-Oct-17 17:21:46

Not personally, but professionally yes. Your options will depend on the person's age, what is available in your area, what treatments have previously been tried, whether there is money for private treatment and - most importantly - whether your grandchild really wants this him/herself.

Grannyknot Thu 26-Oct-17 17:26:06

Hi Angus and welcome to Gransnet.

It must be very worrying if you think that your grandchildren are involved in problematic alcohol or drug use. I don't have personal experience but I did work in the sector, so a few questions:

How old are your grandchildren?

Do they acknowledge that there's a problem and are they willing to enter treatment?

My work in addictions was with GPs, so a GP could always be your first port of call, unfortunately not all of them have experience in working with addiction problems, but my experience is that those who are, are very good.

I'm sure you will find others on here with advice for you.

Grannyknot Thu 26-Oct-17 17:26:49

Crossed posts, ga.

PamelaParker Fri 08-Dec-17 11:50:04

In modern times, the problem of drug addiction is addressed through various therapies such as talk therapy, play therapy, group sessions, and counseling and also through administering counter or anti-drugs. In the state of Florida, cases related to drug and alcohol abuse is relatively high, therefore the top drug and alcohol rehab center Florida rely on such therapies and also on anti-drugs that somewhat control the drug death figures.
One of my friend smoked two roaches Monday around 730 pm and his drug test was Tuesday at 430 today they sent his test to the lab today , do u think Ihe failed or unsure ?

mumofmadboys Fri 08-Dec-17 12:19:41

If your GC wants to seek help I would suggest seeing the GP initially. Some local drug and alcohol centres accept self referral without involving the GP so it is also worth phoning them. Wish you well

Ilovecheese Fri 08-Dec-17 12:20:08

All I know from experience with a family member is that they have got to want to do it and that it might not work the first time.
You have all my sympathy.

NanaMacGeek Fri 08-Dec-17 15:25:00

No experience with GC but with youngest son who was 30 at the time. DS wasn't living at home and we had a call from him from hospital (where he was detoxing), asking for help . We brought him home. We tried the GP who was absolutely no use at all. The GP just suggested he went to AA. We were so desperate for DS and dealt with his struggles for a few weeks. He really wanted to stop but we could see how hard it was. Eventually, we took out a big chunk of our savings and paid for rehab. That was 2 years ago. He has been sober ever since. We know there will be times he will struggle in the future but he has been given coping tools. We are not complacent though and worry about his future, but at least DS now believes he has a future.

Personally, I think the alcoholic drinks industry should fund rehabilitation centres from their profits. My DS didn't ask to be an alcoholic, no-one should be refused treatment if they really want it.

I found the AA message very grim, also Al Anon, the family support group seemed to be about coping with an alcoholic, not about helping them get and stay sober. You could look at the SMART literature. I found that gave me some hope in the early days.

You have my deepest sympathy.

John8010 Sat 19-May-18 11:47:48

The best way to help grandkids in alcohol or drug treatment is to ask for professional medical help and therapists for counselling. Here you can read about drug and alcohol addiction rehab and find out about the difference between casual drinking and alcohol addiction, about drug detox, and more related to addictions treatments.

Beside rehab clinics, there are options for detoxifying at home of alcohol-dependent or drug addicted people with these methods