Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

May I ask how much you pay for Building and contents insurance

(23 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 09-Nov-17 08:00:54

I have a very small 3 bed terrace and have just had the renewal policy. I wonder if anyone in a similar sized home would share how much their annual policy costs.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Nov-17 08:30:23

Flossie, that's a difficult one. Even for someone with the same sort of house as you, it very much depends in where you live. County to county,and street by street, so many variations to take into account. You'd be better off trying to get mutiple quotes from the web I think. Sorry that I can't help. Good luck with your search and hope you find a reasonable quote.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:45:51

Our buy to let insurance is about 150. It’s a 3bed semi in Norfolk.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:46:54

Sorry I didn’t read the question correctly. That’s only for the building.

Smithy Thu 09-Nov-17 09:27:25

Flossie, I have a small 2-bedroom house and I buy a joint contents and buildings insurance. I do go on a comparison site but if I get a good renewal quote I sometimes just renew with the same company. I never pay more than £100 for this, but I keep it basic, don't insure for personal cash in handbag etc, or any extras.

Flossieturner Fri 10-Nov-17 09:13:50

Thanks for the replies. I am in East London.

marpau Fri 10-Nov-17 10:42:53

Have you tried looking on cash back site ? I do this now for all my insurance it softens the blow ☺

Lincsblue Fri 10-Nov-17 10:51:44

I use the broker who sorts out our car insurance. Hadn't thought of it before, but they got us a good deal on contents and insurance too

Kim19 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:51:14

Think I paid about £150 for 3 bed detached with contents. I'm well up north.

emilie Fri 10-Nov-17 11:54:36

Flossieturner,try LV(Liverpool Victoria insurance)I insure my house and car with them--very reasonable rates.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:15:19

Depends on the property and you will need contents cover. A basic insurance house and contents, as this satisfies most people but you can add. I go for a higher excess as this can bring down the yearly premium. Least claims you make the better.
I shop around two months before my house and content renewal is due. I do the same with my vehicle insurance.
As the insured it is your market and insurance companies want you business so if your insurer wants to up your premium look elsewhere.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Nov-17 12:25:04

Kim19. How' well up north? The Pole? You thinkhmm? you paid £150 for a 3 bed detached with contents?
I wish.

Lilyflower Fri 10-Nov-17 14:21:23

I am paying £100 a month. Looking at the other comments I think I am going to have to look elsewhere as I am clearly being taken for a ride by John Lewis home insurance.

Sheilasue Fri 10-Nov-17 14:27:40

Live in a 2 bed apartment, we own the lease but pay our building insurance through the agents who look after our apartments.
We pay our home insurance but so much is taken out of our fees for Building, funny enough we don’t know what we pay will have to look into that.

Teetime Fri 10-Nov-17 15:12:36

JL House Insurance!!! that has to be one of the most expensive. Ours is £180 a year for a four bed in the East Midlands.

Kim19 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:38:51

SEW perhaps Teetime's post makes mine more credible to you? Precision? £143:30.

radicalnan Fri 10-Nov-17 15:40:12

I have been with NFU they are very expensive and when we had small problem they were absolutely rubbish!!!!!

I seem to be paying at least double for my one bed bungalow than the rest of you quoting here. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rip off Britain.

quizqueen Fri 10-Nov-17 16:22:01

I pay about £200 annually on a large 3 bed detached down south for building and contents- new for old-plus extras like emergency home care, legal fees included with Nationwide. I had to claim on my travel insurance once as I was too ill to go at the last minute and they paid in full minus excess, no questions asked, so I trust them more than others. It's not always wise to go for the cheapest.

mostlyharmless Fri 10-Nov-17 17:17:08

We've just today taken out buildings and contents insurance (including legal cover) for £155 for four bed detached with LV. Our renewal from M&S had come in at £366, so we're pleased to save £200! Renewal next year will undoubtedly be higher again though.
We're in rural Gloucestershire.
Definitely worth shopping around online.

milkflake Fri 10-Nov-17 18:34:37

the best quote we got this year was with Tesco !

Stella14 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:57:43

Ours is £160 for a 3 bed detached in the North East (buildings and contents). This includes Legal protection, identity theft and £5000 cover for items (including phones, ipads, jewellery etc) temporarily removed from the home.

Flossieturner Fri 10-Nov-17 21:08:15

Ours is with Santander. The contents is new for old and it is tiny 3 bed flat roof property. The want £400 annual. I think I need to shop around. We have never made a claim in 50years.

Flossieturner Sun 12-Nov-17 19:51:08

Thank you for all the replies. Santander wanted £440. I have gone with LV for £139.