Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you spend on Christmas presents?

(110 Posts)
minimo Fri 10-Nov-17 13:53:13

My OH has just asked me what our budget is? First time he's ever shown any interest in any Christmas planning by the way! I was dumbfounded I'll admit. I have absolutely no idea. I just keep buying till everyone has a gift. I'm not particularly extravagant - we don't have the money to be - but it still adds up. If I think how much I've spent so far I'd guess it's approaching £200 shock and I'm probably not even halfway yet. There seem to be a large number of people to think of. Think I'll go hide my head in the sand again... blush

grannyactivist Fri 10-Nov-17 21:38:41

I've never totted up the amount, but I give gifts to:
1 husband
4 adult children
3 son/daughter(s) in law
7 grandchildren
7 Godchildren
2 parents in law
1 mother
4-6 friends
2 colleagues
Plus token gifts (£5ish) to several members of our extended family.

I keep an eye out during the year for offers and spread the cost over several months. I also tend to buy a cache of birthday gifts in the January sales because all the people I buy gifts for at Christmas usually get a birthday gift as well. I am very good at spotting offers and am prepared to spend a lot of time tracking down good deals.
I also have a son, daughter in law, nephew, grandson and father in law who all have birthdays in December/early January too.

paddyann Fri 10-Nov-17 23:29:40

Far too much ,I start buying straight after Christmas and put things away for my present cupboard ,as I have around 25 to buy for its easier to do it this way.I dont count it up but I know I spend about £100 on each of the kids and maybe £120 on a couple if its a joint gift like a case of wine .I too have decided to cut back after this year and put cash aside in seperate envelopes throughout the year for everyone .I've got 5 birthdays between now and Christmas too .

Nelliemoser Sat 11-Nov-17 00:12:38

I think this gift giving gets out of hand, my family are in the situation of having most of what they need and go out and buy what they have not got.
The little grandsons are a different matter but My daughter keeps saying the little ones have quite enough toys for Birthdays and Christmas.
I am going to resort to giving my DD a stash of money for outings and treats on birthdays and holidays etc. etc.

sundownadventureland.co.uk/ which the little ones adore.
That and trains to the seaside etc. (in the summer that is. ) Bridlington in November is not the best thing.

ninathenana Sat 11-Nov-17 07:23:24

I'm feeling mean !
Adult children + 1 partner and H £30-50 each
GC we don't see so will put money in an account £50x2
We agreed years ago to only buy for children in the family which is now 2 x great nephews who we never see so they get £20 voucher each.
Friends and I don't buy for each other.
So presents come to about £250.

Luckylegs9 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:20:50

All my life I have gone over the top with Christmas and birthday presents, now I realise I shouldn't have. Everyone had a pillowcase full, it became a nightmare as adults got older and their incomes overtook mine, now I am retired the budget has reduced. I spend about £75 on everyone c, and gc, £15-£20 on just 4 friends £25 sister. But it's still a lot and I would like to reduce it but feel mean.

lionpops Sat 11-Nov-17 08:33:53

With 29 grand/great GC and five children we gave presents up a few years ago. Gave them large cheques and told them that was it. It’s worked brilliantly. We save our money and now through the year help those family members who visit and take an interest in us and we treat accordingly. We live away from them so for example on a visit to a wildlife park with a GC if we see they like it and would want to spend more time there buy them a season ticket. We were able to allocate some money to help pay for other GCs singing/dance lessons when parents were struggling. I might also add when you take the Xmas/Birthday gifts off the menu it soon sorts out the caring from the don’t give a damn.

kooklafan Sat 11-Nov-17 08:52:44

I don't do nieces and nephews now they are grown up. There's son, DIL and GKs between £20-£30 a head and sisters £20 a head. This year I'm focussing on son, DIL and GKs and one sister as she has put herself out during the year to keep in touch. I'm sick of buying for people who can't be bothered keep in touch through the year.

Marianne1953 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:06:41

I don’t spend much on presents. I only buy for my children and grandchildren and nieces & nephews up to 18. So I now have only one niece to buy for . It probably amounts to about £200. My husband & I don’t buy gifts for each other.
I do spend quite a bit on food as quality and where it comes from is important to me , as so having s good meal with family.

annsixty Sat 11-Nov-17 09:09:55

I have no siblings and my H has 1 who long ago cut himself off from the family.
I do not buy for any friends, we decided that as families grew we would stop.
So it is Cx2, Gcx6, "sortof" Gcx4 and 1 ex DìL.
H and I don't exchange but I do buy myself one.
This probably comes to around £600.
I give my single parent D some cash to help out but she has a better earning capacity starting soon so that may end.
We spend not much more on food and drink than a normal weekend as we do not entertain at all now.
I give two of my favourite charities the WFA, and after a very cash strapped childhood for both H and myself, it gives me enormous pleasure to be able to do this.

meandashy Sat 11-Nov-17 09:11:18

I have just joined in with a similar discussion on MN. (They were more concerned about stealth/wealth boasting on bookface).
I only really concentrate on my dd and dgd. It really depends on how much money I actually have. As I'm unable to work at the moment I will not be spending a huge amount this year. But I refuse to buy tat, so what I will by will be well thought through.
We don't buy for siblings. I do get a small something for my niece and nephew and I do buy for my mum. Never anything large. It's the thought for me rather than the cost.

Smithy Sat 11-Nov-17 09:33:41

Its the same every year, I swear I'll cut back but buying throughout the year helps. I buy for Son, Dil, Daughter, 3 grandchildren, 2 close friends and 2 not so close but good friends. I would like to either stop or at least cut down on the latter but haven't got the courage to suggest it. Its difficult to work out how much it costs. I also send my charities a small amount, plus a once a year donation to Crisus and a one off gift too a big issue seller so it all adds up but how much, I've never worked out just glad I can.

SusieB50 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:47:03

A few years ago when several family members were financially stuck with retirements, redundancies, and maternity leave we all agreed for a small secret Santa for the immediate adults and small gifts for all the under 18s . It's worked very well . I also buy small things for DDC to put in their little one's stockings as I remember it was a struggle to fill our DC when they were small. We stopped giving pressies to other relatives and friends long ago .We share the cost of Christmas dinner each bringing something for the meal , so it shouldn't be too much I hope . I bought my charity Christmas cards in the sale last year .Probably no more than £250 and I have a large number of Nectar and Boots points to spend! Unfortunately for my DDiL and DSiL their families still want to participate in the crazy present giving for all, so much stress and waste .

BRedhead59 Sat 11-Nov-17 09:47:45

Less and less - books for family children/one present each for GC strict instructions from son/ bed linen for other son/holiday for us. Only sending cards to very elderly this year.
Total £200 max ( not counting holiday or food)
As for the cost of store adverts, it's obscene puts me off going to the big five or however many.

HurdyGurdy Sat 11-Nov-17 09:48:51

Every year I do the "penny challenge" whereby every day you save 1p more than the day before. (I don't do it daily, as I'd have mountains of pennies around the house, so I put the month's worth away in one go!)

I end up with around £650 in December, so that's my budget. If I manage to get the gifts I need for less, then it's a bonus and I spend the balance on me - win win situation!

I always used to feel I had to spend the exact same money on each of the kids, but now I just make sure they each have the same number of gifts to open. So that could include socks just to make the numbers up.

HurdyGurdy Sat 11-Nov-17 09:54:39

I might add that I only buy for my husband, three adult children, one partner and two grandchildren, so the money goes quite a long way.

I didn't even factor in food costs. A four bird roast from the butcher sets me back around £70. I don't even want to think any further than that!

glammanana Sat 11-Nov-17 10:12:16

I buy a joint gift for DCs & their partners usually something for their house so about £150 spent there.
For dgcs 7 all over 14yrs we put money in a card for them £30.00 each.
This year I can go baby GGD shopping for cute stuff again as she is 21mths at Christmas and I can really get into the special buying mode which I haven't done for a few years.
OH and I don't bother with special gifts but will treat the house to some thing nice.
I also pay for all the food at DDs and enjoy being head chef for the day when everyone drops by on their way to visit other members of their family.

newnanny Sat 11-Nov-17 10:13:39

We spend £100 each on 3 adult children plus about £35 on bits for their stockings. £50 for my only dgs, about £30 for Sil. £25 for any nieces/nephews still In education. This year dh having suit so £250. Dh stocking £50. Mil and fil £30 each plus stockings £30 each. Bil £30. I don't buy for my sisters at their request but treat them to meal out each time i go to see them 6 times each year. I send 6-10 Xmas shoebox to charity each year at about £25 each and now £5 postage. I spend far too much on choc and food.

icanhandthemback Sat 11-Nov-17 10:18:26

We have 6 children, all of whom have partners so we allow £50 for the kids and £20ish for the partners. We have 8 grandchildren so that's £25 a piece. I also have 5 parents, along with an aunt and uncle, a couple of good friends and the dog! I reckon that works out to about £700ish which is why Christmas makes me wince.
We used to give the kids £100 each when they were younger but can't afford to do that now they are procreating and my husband has retired.

squirrel5 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:23:39

I tend to accumulate stuff through the year for the Gc X6,then have a last minute splurge on the 2 for1,s for the. adults approx,plus take Gc,s to pantomime etc in xmas school hols,so pricewise, about 500pounds. When I was working we had secret santa, ( work colleagues)and we all agreed to spend 10 pounds for a stocking of stuff from the pound shop,......that was brilliant,as I got things like a mug,de-icer,smellies,potato peeler,chocs,etc in mine,and was fun.

starbox Sat 11-Nov-17 10:29:33

After much browsing sales, I've done grandchildren for under £30 each- granddaughter gorgeous (1/2 price!) MS coat, cardi & Boots dress-with-tights. Plus I've knitted her a set of baby dolls. And some (50p each) Wilko bath bombs. Grandson's got a designer brand sweatshirt (£14 TK Max) also Minecraft book (£8 same store) & a very flashy Tesco tshirt. Result!

Tessa101 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:46:20

£50 each on DD. £25 on there partners. £30 each on GC.£10 on close friends. £5 on the dog.Mmmmm and buying myself a Chrissy prezzie.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:46:26

I am nearer to Cornergran than anyone else's estimate. I add hand-made items made throughout the year (or in December but I like to think I am on top of thingsgrin). This is mainly from my 'stash' which will otherwise outlive me so I don't count it as a cost.

We even share the cost of Christmas dinner. He/she who is in funds that year will contribute appropriately as will those who are not. As I am probably the poorest bar those who are students I do crackers - and I am making those with little personally selected presents this year. One year I made Santa hats for the backs of the chairs which are produced each year.

The young people do the washing-up etc. One year, when my son was still at University he cooked lunch as his contribution and it was wonderful. He is 40+ now and well able to pay for their Christmas Day but when they come back from the beach he is the one who butterflies the leg of lamb and cooks it on the barbeque.

I love the everyone mucking in bit of it and it is good for the children growing up realising everyone has something they can contribute but that's just how we do it and everyone is different.

Kim19 Sat 11-Nov-17 10:55:25

Lucky legs, I'm with you in that overindulgence is the name of my game. However the revolution is about to take place and all because of a young lady I saw on TV recently. The topic was about children having too much stuff. She said her place was always a clutter with limited storage space and half of the toys were never touched. Her next part was heartfelt, sincere and grateful when she said 'My Mum only ever gives them one gift each, Bless her. THANK YOU Mum'. That hit the spot for me and I'm going to discuss it with my family when we meet next week. I want my grandchildren to have the moon and I now realise that's selfish and wrong. I get such pleasure buying even the simplest of things for them. I purposely do not take a treat on our regular meetings in case they do a 'have you anything for me?' or a search for sweets in my handbag. It has taken me a whole five years to reach this decision. How sad is that?! I have been troubled by their amount of 'stuff' but I kept contributing to it. Crazy! It will be very interesting to discover how my family confab goes. I feel resolute and that much painful self control will have to be exercised but I genuinely believe it's the correct way to go. Here's hoping.........

Legs55 Sat 11-Nov-17 11:11:32

I spend about £100 on DGSs, DGS1 has new football kit (£60) plus stocking fillers & books, DGS2 will only be 7 months at Christmas so it's new clothes, books & toys, most of this will go in his stocking. DD & her OH I treat them to their favourite chocolates & money (£30). DM is most difficult at almost 89, this year I have bought a magnifying glass which she chose herself & a card with £10 in it for Christmas Day (she lives 300 miles from us so no visit). I buy for 2 friends/neighbours about £10 each. My DD does Christmas Dinner, I provide "posh" crackers.

I treat myself to food I like for when I'm at home on my own.

My present from DD this year will be a toaster at my request.

When DH was alive we often bought "for the house"

Coconut Sat 11-Nov-17 11:49:36

I am an expert in shopping in the sales all year round, so when Xmas arrives ( or birthdays ) I have a big box full of lovely bits at half the cost. I have loads to buy for and hate shopping crowds, so this is perfect for me, stress free and very cost effective !