Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Liz. and Phil

(82 Posts)
Morgana Fri 17-Nov-17 20:51:43

Keep seeing all these ads for forthcoming TV programme. Do we really think they are still madly in love?

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:56:51

grin
perhaps we have run out of more sensible discussion points!

Bluegal Sun 19-Nov-17 20:21:19

? can’t believe “looks” are now coming into this!!! ???

Grandma70s Sun 19-Nov-17 20:11:17

I always thought the Queen was much prettier than Princess Margaret, but Princess Margaret had more obvious glamour and sparkle.

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:41:46

I don't think any of the royal have been blessed in the 'looks' department.

Princess Margaret had 'film star looks' when she was young.

annsixty Sun 19-Nov-17 19:37:42

No comments to make on the state of the royal marriage but I did think the Queen was a lovely looking young woman and for her age she is really elegant and good looking.

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:25:10

Ha ha ha paddyann

If a story is worth telling etc etc .....

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:24:20

Yes, Paul Newman (Robert Redford never did it for me! wink)
although he is more like Prince Philip than any of the others mentioned

harrigran Sun 19-Nov-17 19:22:31

Paddyann 400 million ? Just think of a number and multiply it by ten shock your figures areincorrect by the way.

MissAdventure Sun 19-Nov-17 18:33:02

I don't think any of the royal have been blessed in the 'looks' department.

trisher Sun 19-Nov-17 18:20:12

Oh I loved James Garner in Maverick
But it was Paul Newman who was the really dishy one

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:06:31

DannieRae thank you.
Photos please!! grin

James Garner was rather gorgeous imo.
I watched him recently in The Notebook (made in 2004)

DanniRae Sun 19-Nov-17 17:33:48

Nope definitely doesn't do it for me but I've done some research into 1940s and 1950s men and I have chosen Gary Cooper and James Stewart. (The research was hard work - all those good looking men - but I did it for all you Gransnetters!) grin

Grandma70s Sun 19-Nov-17 16:28:01

I agree their good looks have little to do with the lasting nature of their marriage, though they were probably part of the initial attraction.

Norah Sun 19-Nov-17 16:04:28

Years ago Prince Phillip was very nice looking as was the Queen. I don't think that has to do with the success to their marriage.

Grandma70s Sun 19-Nov-17 14:47:33

I think Philip was very, very good looking when he was younger. Harry doesn’t appeal to me, but under all that facial hair he is probably quite nice looking. He’s quite a long way down the succession so we will probably never have a Queen Meghan, which sounds even odder than Queen Camilla. I suppose he is going to marry her (Meghan) - otherwise why these TV programmes which appear to be telling the public that she’s all right, honestly.

Diana, NOT Diane.

Jalima1108 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:42:17

why would Charles lust after Camilla when he was married to Diane?
Because he was in love with Camilla and remained so (and still is)

Why does anyone fall in love with anyone? Not particularly because they are goodlooking

trisher Sun 19-Nov-17 14:33:57

Oh come on DanniRae he was about as good looking as you got in the 40s and 50s, And doesn't Harry look like him?

paddyann Sun 19-Nov-17 13:55:02

merlotgran if every pensioner was treated aswell as lizzie maybe they could ALL go riding at her age!! Around 400 Million it costs to keep this family for A YEAR ...thats not the figure the media claim though ,but it is the realistic figure from financial organisations .There isn't a president ...even Trump who'll get this for 70 years because they are VOTED in ,not there by some dubious " right"President doesn't do the job ....he's gone.

Anniebach Sun 19-Nov-17 13:53:23

Dannie, could it not be a woman like Camilla, calm, country loving , would be a relief from an unbalanced, camera loving, clothes obsessed Diana

BlueBelle Sun 19-Nov-17 13:46:37

I have no problem with Charles I think he has a lot of good points in his thinking I also think Camilla is right for him and think she’s probably an ok woman The boys are obviously very close to their father and seem to get on well with her ( unless of course you believe Fb and some of the dubious journalists) and I m sure they wouldn’t if she was the wicked step mother
As for Harry and Mehgan, very pretty girl why shouldn’t they be together William’s the good sensible one, Harry is the one with some character, he’s grown up now and seems more settled and sensible
I m sure all the royals from time immormorial have done no different to Charles and maybe Phil but while it’s nudge nudge funny in Phil is dammed in Charles poor man he’s never been able to do right for doing wrong since the day the saintly Diane arrived in his life

merlotgran Sun 19-Nov-17 13:34:39

The Queen was out riding this morning which I find absolutely amazing.

DanniRae Sun 19-Nov-17 13:29:46

I am sorry trisher but I don't think Philip was in the least bit dishy - mind you the royals have strange taste - why would Charles lust after Camilla when he was married to Diane?

maryeliza54 Sun 19-Nov-17 12:32:52

Uncle Dickie was a very shady character according to some accounts and had a malign influence on Charles some believe.

trisher Sun 19-Nov-17 12:25:38

If I owned lots of properties and didn't have to live with him, only doing the occasional photo-shoot or foreign trip I think I could stay married to anyone. Particularly if I had staff to do any hard work. The aristocracy have always regarded marriage as a contract and not a romantic idyll. Liz and Phil have just complied with the standards of their class. That said he was quite a dish when younger and I can see she might have fallen for him. His motives are a bit shadier and Uncle Dickie was heavily involved.

Anniebach Sun 19-Nov-17 11:21:13

I remember a poster no longer with us who said what people do in their private lives has nothing to do us, it was Rigsby , she was speaking about Corbyn but I am sure she meant it applied to all.