Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Corns!

(11 Posts)
Tegan2 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:53:28

I've got one on the outside of my little toe next to the nail. I dig it out myself as, when a chiropodist did it it hurt after she took it out anyone and hurt slightly less when it came back. I am going to try using O'Keefes working hand cream on it, which has been recommended for my dogs corns, but I'm going to ask about the special knife. I've had it for years even though I've always worn wide fitting sensible shoes. The other foot has a bunion which is actually less painful. The corn feels as if someone is hammering a nail into my foot. Also recommended for the dog is rubbing aciclovir cream onto the corn in case it's caused by a virus.

Glenfinnan Wed 06-Dec-17 22:32:58

Thank you all again. I bought one of those corn knives today in Boots ...so will have a go myself!

Fennel Wed 06-Dec-17 11:51:23

I agree Elegran - mine have been much better since I started wearing only Skechers, which seem to have wider soles than other shoes.
However I think I read somewhere that corns between toes, as with the OP, have a different cause.

Elegran Wed 06-Dec-17 11:11:59

Wear even wider shoes. Corns are caused by pressure.

henetha Wed 06-Dec-17 11:05:56

Years ago I had to have a toenail removed and ever since then have had a corn where the nail used to be. I deal with it myself (can't stand anyone fiddling with my feet) and manage reasonably ok although it occasionally gets out of hand ... pardon the pun!

lemongrove Wed 06-Dec-17 10:46:50

Don’t those little corn plasters ( round ones by Scholl) still exist?
They would cushion your toes, I should think.

harrigran Wed 06-Dec-17 09:22:09

I get soft corns in between little toes, I rarely wear court shoes because they squeeze toes together.
Shaped silicone gel that fits in between toes helps to a certain extent but does not always stay in place.
I have resorted to socks with individual toes, like wearing gloves on your feet, that does help.

Fennel Wed 06-Dec-17 07:46:32

I've got a few corns too, one is between toes and I admit I trim it myself with a special knife. (Yuk?)
For the other foot my chiropodist made a sort of plasticine/rubber mould, which covers one toe and gently separates others. This has helped a lot. Wear it inside socks or tights.

Glenfinnan Wed 06-Dec-17 07:22:48

Thanks lemongrove I do use cream but these corns are soft, in between toes. Looking for something g to remove them permanently!

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 23:14:06

Keep them soft with a good foot cream?

Glenfinnan Tue 05-Dec-17 20:14:17

Hello G/netters
Anyone else suffer from corns ? and even more important does anyone have a cure?? I go to the chiropodist on a regular basis and have then cut, but after three weeks they are back. I have them between my small toes and they are agony. I wear wide fitting shoes which don’t pinch my feet.
Any advice?