Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Splinter down my nail! Ouch!

(15 Posts)
Humbertbear Sun 10-Dec-17 20:31:31

I agree with BlueBelle. I had a splinter down the side of my nail and magnesium sulphate drew it out but it did take week. Good luck!

emmasnan Sun 10-Dec-17 20:22:19

Last time this happened to me, soaking it in hot water worked well. The following morning it just came out and healed very quickly.

Fennel Sun 10-Dec-17 19:50:48

If that doesn't work try putting your finger into water as hot as you can bear. That might draw the spelk out a little so you can hold it with tweezers.
Or try Kaolin poultice.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 19:35:26

My finger is wearing a little hat made of plasters, with a good dollop of magnesium underneath it.

Squiffy Sun 10-Dec-17 19:29:10

Yes, another mag sulph fan here! Hope you get it sorted quickly.

kittylester Sun 10-Dec-17 18:35:21

Ouch!

Magnesium sulphate is brilliant!!

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 18:19:22

Right, thank you. I shall do that. smile

BlueBelle Sun 10-Dec-17 18:10:34

Yes yes misadventure Nagnesium sulphate paste put a load on and a plaster and it would start working it’s way out if you can’t get it out yourself. That’s always wrked for me

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 17:45:55

Ah, my username. I was going to be something much more bland, but my predictive text decided otherwise and took a detour. It started to write out the adventure part so I just finished it off. It seems fairly apt, though.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 17:41:40

Well, my eyesight is pretty abysmal, even with my glasses, but I can see it, and its a long way down.
Yes, I can understand why it was used as a form of torture!
I haven't got any baking soda in my cupboard, so yours would be most appreciated, if I could just somehow get my hands on it!

Alima Sun 10-Dec-17 17:31:17

PS, is it mishaps like this that prompted your username?

Alima Sun 10-Dec-17 17:29:52

That sounds painful, didn’t some army used to put bamboo canes down fingernails as a form of torture? Anyway, I digress, if the splinter isn’t tweezer-able, you could try soaking your finger in warm water and baking soda. May take a few attempts before the thing is drawn out. (I have some in the cupboard if it helps!)

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 17:21:54

Oh! Is it magnesium sulphate you're talking about? I just happen to have some of that in my bathroom cabinet!

BlueBelle Sun 10-Dec-17 17:15:45

Sugar and soap is what we always used to draw it out or you can buy something from the chemist is it magnesium or am I remembering the wrong name

MissAdventure Sun 10-Dec-17 16:41:43

I moved my nice woven, Ikea storage box and a sliver of fibre has gone down behind my nail.
Any advice please? Should I leave it, or prod it, or soak it?
It's starting to really throb, so help appreciated. I've never had this happen before as I was a nail biter until a few years ago.