Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Loneliness in Pembrokeshire and other areas

(6 Posts)
NudeJude Mon 08-Jan-18 15:39:16

I know that some people might say this isn't the correct group for this post, but I'm just wondering how many of you actually know that there is a forum on here for 'local'? I generally just hop on and off of Gransnet, and receiving the daily email, tend to only look at the subjects raised, hence I wasn't aware of it myself. The thing is, having moved to Pembrokeshire nearly 2 years ago, and having a disability which means I have to spend a lot of time in bed, it's very hard to get out and make new friends, even though I am a very outgoing type of person. So having seen the word 'local' I thought I'd take a look, only to find that there's nothing really on there - disappointed isn't the word.

So can I ask, do any of you live in Pembrokeshire? I feel sure that there must be a lot of lonely people here, just as there are all over the country, so if you're lonely or would like to find some new friends in your local area, can I ask that you post something about yourself on the 'Local' group page, and then maybe we can all find some new friends, whether they only be to chat to via the website or private message, or in person once you've had a chance to get to know each other, I feel it could make a lot of difference.

I'm now off to the 'Local' page to post something about me, who will join me?

lemongrove Mon 08-Jan-18 15:43:07

Am not anywhere near there, but know Pembrokeshire, lovely but mainly very rural, so it will be hard for you, especially with a disability.The local sites for GN often seem
A bit shall we say ‘tumble weedy’ not sure why.Hopefully you will meet a few others though if you put something on the site.Is there also a very local to you WI?
Good luck.

mymadeupname Mon 08-Jan-18 15:48:01

Hello! I just saw your post and think it's a great idea but it looks as if they are winding down the local sites - see new thread 'Changes to Gransnet'.

It says on there that local will be incorporated into the forums but people can still arrange to meet etc.

I do hope you find some new local friends, I'm in Berkshire so too far away to pop in for a cuppa I'm afraid!

mymadeupname Mon 08-Jan-18 15:50:31

Here's the link to that thread called 'Changes at Gransnet':

local.gransnet.com/forums/local_suffolk/a1243888-Changes-at-Gransnet

farview Mon 08-Jan-18 15:50:48

Why not put something on Meet Ups it's in the Forum's list ?

mymadeupname Mon 08-Jan-18 16:07:43

Around our way there are various voluntary organisations where volunteers visit people who can't get out easily for friendship and a good natter and occasional trips out like to a teashop or garden centre. There is probably something similar in your area.

Sorry if I've gone down the wrong track with this but I know if I was confined to bed I would love someone to visit for a chat sometimes.