Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is old Lego safe?

(74 Posts)
GrandmaRoo Mon 29-Jan-18 13:42:40

I have seen several newspaper articles recently (although found one from 2012) which state that Lego from the 70’s and 80’s contains levels of cadmium, lead and arsenic which nowadays are not permissible, and may be a health hazard. (Well, yes, but who knew?)
So first a huge apology to my children, then try to ward off the ever present parental guilt about almost everything, then - where is the advice/apology/recommendations and lastly .... what do I do with the huge chest of old Lego which my little grandchildren were going to have presented to them in a few years?
Should I just throw it away? I was about to give it all to a charity shop but that’s just wrong if these warnings are correct. Anyone know any more?

Grandlexi Mon 01-Mar-21 16:33:15

I’ve just come across this question as I’m asking the same - my daughter alerted me to the fact that some duplo might not be safe for little ones. I had the duplo rattles from 4 months though most of the duplo is from 18mths but they are still putting things in their mouths - which is the concern. If they just handle it I think it’s ok. Any updated advice on this ?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 13:30:49

Thanks, grandetante

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 13:30:17

johnofwhixall certain don't tread on in in bare feet
grin I think we've all done that at some point.

You can buy 'Lego slippers' apparently, which will protect your feet from those little bits left behind in the pile of the carpet (ouch)

grandtanteJE65 Tue 06-Feb-18 13:27:25

I've just received a reply from Lego's headquarters here in Denmark, which was written in Danish, so I shall just give you the gist of it.

They say that as long as the old Lego bricks are whole, i.e. neither chipped nor cracked they are quite safe for children to play with, as long as you stick to the safety guidelines and do not give children under three the standard size.

They say too, and this I am sure is quite correct, that they have always employed safety standards in advance of what was demanded by law, so they are confident that there is no danger to children when we hand down old Lego.

johnofwhixall Fri 02-Feb-18 06:48:43

On Dangerous chemicals
so do tablet, phones and i pad but I don't see to many folk avoiding giving kids such thing to keep 'em quiet in the supermarket q
But here's a good tip
DON'T EAT LEGO and certain don't tread on in in bare feet THATS THE REAL DANGER
I did and was instantly transmogrified in to something resembling a polar bear

Gaggi3 Thu 01-Feb-18 17:53:27

GS 1 (aged 9) has played with the Lego his mother and aunt had ever since he was old enough. He's never chewed it. For me the most dangerous thing about it is stepping barefoot on a piece of the damn stuff. shock

sunglow12 Thu 01-Feb-18 17:18:52

My sons hardly ever used their lego as it seemed there was always someone around who may choke on it and same is happening with the next generation but very interesting comments here.

gerry86 Thu 01-Feb-18 17:02:54

I have loads of toys that my children played with and that my grandchildren enjoy playing with, Lego, small cars, Fisher Price firestation, sticklebricks to name but a few. Unless they were broken and dangerous there's no way I would throw them away.

Jalima1108 Thu 01-Feb-18 16:57:53

I'd be more worried about a sharp little piece sticking in the gut and causing a problem.

chrissyh Thu 01-Feb-18 16:55:21

For goodness sake - not you GrandmaRoo but the scaremongers saying something 'could or may' cause harm
with no stats to back it up. Your children survived it, didn't they? Give it a good clean and pass it on.

JoyBloggs Thu 01-Feb-18 16:48:57

grandtante, good idea, thank you, will be very interested to hear what they have to say, will be watching this space! We have loads of Lego, all been lovingly stored away for decades ready and waiting for grandchildren. Was about to wash it all ready for when the two oldest next visit as they are really keen. Ultimately I suppose it's up to the parents whether they consider it okay or not.

Greyduster Thu 01-Feb-18 16:18:22

It’ll be good to have something straight from the horse’s mouth, as it were, grandtante! ?

leeds22 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:56:04

One lot of GCs have survived parental Lego and I have another batch ready for the youngest pair. Certainly won't be throwing it away.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Feb-18 13:41:52

I've just contacted Lego headquarters here in Denmark and asked about this, so I'll get back to you all when I get a reply from them

GoldenAge Thu 01-Feb-18 12:57:52

I kept all my daughter's Lego from the 70s and my grandchildren have been playing with it ever since without any complaint from daughter who quite frankly is on top of everything non-organic, chemical-ridden, etc., and would be the first to ask me to destroy it if there were a genuine concern. Of course, like other grans, there has to be a warning about eating the stuff.

newnanny Thu 01-Feb-18 12:52:30

When I retrieved 2 large storage containers of Lego from my loft I put it in the dishwasher in a laundy bag bit by bit until it was all clean. It would have been from about 1990 onwards and Duplo 1988 my dgs has played with Duplo zoo, farm and many extra animals and also building bricks and a rattle and none have come to any harm. When he is 5-6 years old he will probably progress to Lego. The bricks are solid and do not flake so would have to be chewed a lot Imo for any possible ill effect and article states only red and yellow bricks so all other colours perfectly safe. So grey millennium falcon safe then! I would not throw away but wash before use and inspect and throw away any pieces with tooth marks.

quizqueen Thu 01-Feb-18 12:51:19

My advice is to ignore most 'modern' advice and rely on tried and tested common sense!! Adults nowadays do no seem to be suffering ill effects from playing with Lego and, if they are, then there should a massive case for compensation opened against them surely

Theoddbird Thu 01-Feb-18 12:43:25

If these chemicals are there it is probably in impossibly tiny amounts that will do no harm. Leo has been passed onto grandchildren. My children did not come to harm.

GabriellaG Thu 01-Feb-18 10:36:36

Mine had/still have lots of their old Lego but it was only bought when they were old enough to fully understand that you only put FOOD DRINK and your TOOTHBRUSH in your mouth.

Sheilasue Thu 01-Feb-18 10:19:04

Blimey my son was born in the 70s he loved his Lego.

Morgana Wed 31-Jan-18 14:26:57

I'll have another look in Argos! G.D.'s birthday coming up. Unfortunately I threw away all my own kids' toys. Never thought I'd be a granny.

annodomini Wed 31-Jan-18 10:20:55

Both of my 'boys' are now middle-aged and don't seem to have any sinister symptoms. Given the omnipresence of Lego in most toy boxes in the last half century, we evidently ought to have an entire generation suffering from lead poisoning.

Greyduster Wed 31-Jan-18 09:26:57

GS had a Duplo zoo and both the bricks and the animals were pressed into service for many other scenarios over the years. He only actually stopped pressing them into service a couple of years ago - he is eleven next week. My favourite is Playmobil, but there are lots of lots of little bits to get lost. I came across a set of keys, a set of handcuffs and a loudhailer from the police station set recently in the bottom of one of my “lost and found” pots.

Jalima1108 Tue 30-Jan-18 23:34:42

The tub of Duplo I bought was just blocks, not a kit Morgana, but it came with pictures of what could be made and we DGD used to have fun with it

Morgana Tue 30-Jan-18 23:30:35

Thanks for the suggestion Jalima