Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

maths questio

(24 Posts)
Fennel Mon 26-Feb-18 11:42:20

I want to multiply 120 by .67
And 180 by .88
How do I do it? Tried online calculator but can't get it to work.
I'm hopeless at maths.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 11:47:25

There is no reason why it shouldn’t work. You could try inputting 0.67 and 0.88 but it shouldnt make a difference.
Answers by the way are
80.4 and 158.4

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 11:48:39

I’m sure that some clever person will tell you how to do it without a calculator, but life’s too short! Plus I wouldn’t have a clue.....

MawBroon Mon 26-Feb-18 11:51:08

120x.67 =80.4
180x.88= 158.4

OldMeg Mon 26-Feb-18 11:52:08

Oopsa is correct.



will give you the answer.

OldMeg Mon 26-Feb-18 11:53:18

The answers will of course be smaller that the number you started with if that’s what’s confusing you. This is because you are multiplying myna number less than 1.

OldMeg Mon 26-Feb-18 11:53:58

by a number less than 1

OldMeg Mon 26-Feb-18 11:55:31

.67 is the same as 0.67; I just put the zero in to help show the number is less than 1.

janeainsworth Mon 26-Feb-18 12:00:03

fennel here’s a screen shot of the calculator on my phone.
To multiply 120 by .67,
Type in 120
Press the multiply (x) sign
Press the decimal point (.) sign
Type in 67
Pres the equal (=) sign
The answer will come up.
Hope that helps. smile

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:03:15

Can anyone do it without a calculator?
I probably knew how when I was 16, but not anymore

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:06:08

Ok I’ve remembered how to do it now, just multiply 120 x 67 and make the 8,040 number into 80.4
Easy, phew..... I need to lie down now.

Fennel Mon 26-Feb-18 12:10:55

grin thanks all!
I was nearly able to do it myself, but got the decimal points wrong.
Trying to work out how much CGT we ought to pay to HMRC next year on the sale of our french house.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:12:20

Just think of a number, double it and then multiply that by lots and lots.
That should give you the amount for HMRC!

MawBroon Mon 26-Feb-18 12:18:57

As Oopsadaisy says, think of a very big number and just send it.
They will come back to demand the difference (usually with menaces) grin

Jalima1108 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:39:38

Just send them £80.4p plus £158.4p and tell them that the Gransnetters told you that was the right amount

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:49:25

Yep, do that.

Elegran Mon 26-Feb-18 13:07:39

I bet they couldn't do it without technical assistance!

Elegran Mon 26-Feb-18 13:08:03

The oldfashioned way - step-by-step for those who learnt how to many years ago but have forgotten how to do it without a calculator.
Write the two numbers to be multiplied underneath one another, with the decimal points lined up vertically. For the whole number, assume the decimal point to be at the far right. So the .67 will start out to the right of the end of the 120. Draw line underneath. Add a decimal point under this, lined up with the others.
Multiply 120 by .6, Six times 0 is 0, write that 0 under the 6 that you are multiplying by and the rest to the left of the point.
Add decimal point in line with the others. Multiple 120 by .07. Seven times 0 is 0. Write that 0 under the 7 that you are multiplying by Seven twos are 14 - the four goes to the right of the decimal point. Etc,
Add the 72.0 and the 8.40 together. Add decimal point in line with all the others.

Please don't ask me to set out how to do long division!

Bellanonna Mon 26-Feb-18 13:20:18

Oh give me words any time 😴

janeainsworth Mon 26-Feb-18 13:30:09

Fennel the CGT will only be payable on the difference between the price you paid for your house and the price you sold it for.
And you and DH will both have an annual exemption.
It might not be as much as some posters are leading you to believe.

janeainsworth Mon 26-Feb-18 13:31:48

And if it was as your main residence when you sold it, you might not have to pay anything.
Have you spoken to an accountant?

Fennel Mon 26-Feb-18 14:22:33

I hope not, Jane. Yes we'll have to get an accountant to fill in the tax form.
The profit isn't as much as it seems, taking into account the variations in exchange rate.

Elegran Mon 26-Feb-18 15:24:32

Don't forget that you can deduct the cost of essential work on it from the profit (if you have the receipts - but if you and DH did the work with your own four hands, as DH and I did to a near-derelict cottage we restored, you have no receipts as proof)

M0nica Tue 27-Feb-18 15:12:43

Elegran We have that problem.