Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gone off in a huff, part 2

(32 Posts)
minxie Sun 11-Mar-18 20:51:47

See part one to catch up if you don't know the story.

Well,I did it. I was quite nervous traveling to the Mil, and 5 mins before we arrived him indoors wants to ring and put Baza in the crate before we get there. I said no, I want to see if I can cope without that happening. I was over ruled as the dog can get excited when people arrive.
I was told when we got there that he hardly goes in his crate now and doesn't like it in there, but it wasn't said with intention but I felt bad anyway.
30 minutes later when bacon butties had been demolished. Baza came out of the crate flapping around, said hello and then trotted off to lie down.
He came back in the room later and flopped down by my legs and generally ignored me.
I felt very relaxed and happy to stay there for three hours.
I'm very chuffed with myself, and I have no fear of going back again, without him going into his crate at all.
I didn't give him a doggie treat in the end.
So moving onwards and upwards, I'm going to seek help to overcome my phobia once and for all.
Large dogs still freak me out as do dogs off the lead, in open spaces.
Thank you Ladies for all the support ( some exceptions) you gave me. It made me feel more comfortable about going, even though I was still very nervous.
Brownie points all round and some form of chocolatey treat, especially for me. Xxx

Elrel Mon 12-Mar-18 22:22:06

Minxie - you must be, quite rightly, very proud of yourself! ?

minxie Mon 12-Mar-18 21:17:20

Thank you everyone. It does feel good I have to say

ajanela Mon 12-Mar-18 19:52:58

That's incredible. Took me a few seconds to realise it was from you. What a change of thought process.

You deserve a medal and DH should provide the chocolate.

Crafting Mon 12-Mar-18 19:22:46

Well done minxie. I bet your DH and family were delighted. You have made a big step all on your own. Don't be over optimistic and test yourself too far. Setbacks can upset things. Just take it easy and progress slowly. Wonderful achievement ?

Patsy70 Mon 12-Mar-18 18:05:13

This is great news, Minxie, what a star! I'm sure the family felt justly proud of you making the effort and overcoming your fear. Just take it one step at a time and good luck with the next stage. The company and loyalty of a dog can be so very rewarding.

midgey Mon 12-Mar-18 17:57:54

Don’t think you need a chocolate treat.....a huge box or even better a great big choice cake..well done you!

Willow500 Mon 12-Mar-18 17:45:23

Hey well done you - that's great news and probably a relief for everyone else concerned too. I was terrified of dogs when I was a child - one jumped up and scratched me when I was very little and also my aunt had a really grumpy dog who I was always told not to go near. I only got over it when I fell in love with a puppy in the pet shop window next door to us when I was 9 and begged my dad to buy him.

Eloethan Mon 12-Mar-18 17:14:39

That's really good news. Well done to you.

sodapop Mon 12-Mar-18 16:45:54

Well done minxie you deserve wine flowers
Family life will be easier all round now.

GranEd Mon 12-Mar-18 16:11:16

Well done minxie. flowers

silverlining48 Mon 12-Mar-18 14:33:15

That is good news, glad it went well. The family must have been delighted. Take it slowly, I still don’t like barking dogs or if they are running around off lead. small steps, This is a great start, well done.

humptydumpty Mon 12-Mar-18 10:53:01

Well done, give yourself a big pat on the back - and good luck with that help!

OldMeg Mon 12-Mar-18 10:46:31

What I think this shows is that you were willing to give it a go. Well done. It’s not easy to overcome a fear but wanting to is a big part of it.

Caledonai14 Mon 12-Mar-18 10:18:35

Minxie, I hope you got that chocolate reward. It was such a huge step and I think you were brave to share it with us. I hope you all had a lovely day and many more to come. smile

janeainsworth Mon 12-Mar-18 08:55:12

Well done minxie
I think you’ll find that overcoming your fear as you have done has all sorts of knock-on benefits flowers for you.

Oopsadaisy12 Mon 12-Mar-18 08:07:36

Well done from me too.

BBbevan Mon 12-Mar-18 05:35:30

minxie Well done. Dogs are not my favourite and I can understand your feelings. Hope all goes well.

Jalima1108 Sun 11-Mar-18 23:10:53

Well done

That is a big step forward

mcem Sun 11-Mar-18 22:28:36

Well done. What a huge step forward. The in-laws (and OH) must be happy if they are aware of the effort you made. ??

Mapleleaf Sun 11-Mar-18 22:18:32

Well done! ?

Baggs Sun 11-Mar-18 22:00:49

That's great news, minxie! Well done and keep up the good work! ?

Lynnebo Sun 11-Mar-18 21:51:09

flowers well done

SpringyChicken Sun 11-Mar-18 21:40:06

Well done, you have been very brave - AND earned a lot of brownie points from your family.

Auntieflo Sun 11-Mar-18 21:28:15

Oh well done . Great achievement on your part.

Coolgran65 Sun 11-Mar-18 21:24:47

well done. I'm so glad that you did this, for your dh as well as for yourself.

Just think how your life has now changed already smile