Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

manual to automatic car

(40 Posts)
Fennel Mon 16-Apr-18 15:38:55

As I've mentioned elsewhere we moved back from France 2 months ago. When we were there I drove every day, manual vehicles, and now we have an automatic car.
I drove here for the first time yesterday (very nervous of all the traffic) and it was ok, except my left foot seemed to want to apply the brake, instead of my right foot. So we kept coming to a sharp halt.
Has anyone else made this change, and can give advice how to get into the habit of only using right foot?

teabagwoman Sun 22-Apr-18 16:10:42

Same here NannaandGrampy. Changed to an automatic because my left knee was getting so painful and have never looked back. I can concentrate on reading the road and avoiding the potholes! I’m sure I’m a safer driver now. Found the changeover much easier than I expected and am so glad I did it.

NanaandGrampy Sun 22-Apr-18 15:57:26

I wouldn't swap back for the world.

Its been a good number of years since I changed from manual to automatic after a holiday in the US where we got an automatic rental car. It was an eye opener.

Once I tucked my left foot away , I never looked back. Hours and Hours of being stuck in traffic jams in a manual car were a nightmare, those same type of jams in an automatic are a doddle.

Its better for my dodgy knee ( the left one) and I NEVER feel out of control, if anything I feel more in control. Doing gear changes whilst going round roundabouts is a thing of the past , now I can keep both hands firmly on the wheel once I have selected drive at the start of a journey.

I highly recommend it.

SueDonim Sun 22-Apr-18 14:30:04

grin

So are you right-foot braking now, Fennel?

Fennel Sun 22-Apr-18 12:39:25

SueDonim Sat 21-Apr-18 14:38:59

I tried the left foot braking thing yesterday when I was leaving my drive to go out. I definitely won't be doing that again!
Exactly my feeling, Sue!

Mapleleaf Sat 21-Apr-18 22:32:15

I passed my test in an auto so have never driven a manual. ( Couldn't get the hang of gear changes with a manual). My present car is 14 years old. Love it.

SueDonim Sat 21-Apr-18 14:38:59

I tried the left foot braking thing yesterday when I was leaving my drive to go out. I definitely won't be doing that again! I came to an immediate halt in the middle of the road, which luckily for me is a dead end so no passing traffic.

Goldengirl, my car also has a manual option. I rarely use it though as the auto is so fine-tuned and is always on the correct gear. I never thought I'd like an auto but dh got one first and I was totally sold on it so also got auto in my car.

I've only driven a manual briefly since going to auto, when staying with my son, and I kept forgetting to change gear. blush In my defence, I was also negotiating an area that was new to me, without sat-nav, and with a toddler in the car so I was rather occupied!

goldengirl Sat 21-Apr-18 11:25:43

My current manual car is on its last legs but I don't like the thought of an automatic - I like to be in control!!! And to me it's just another thing to go wrong hmm. I have driven one on the Continent some years back - and of course the wheel is on the left!!! I managed but was not convinced.

MaizieD Sat 21-Apr-18 11:18:24

^ He has a button instead of a proper brake and I can’t the hang of it.^

I know that one, too! I'm fishing for the handbrake every time I drive my DP's car. I loathe it. Does the engine cut out when you stop,say at traffic lights, and start again when you put your foot on the accelerator? I can't get used to that, either.

It also won't let you drive anywhere without a seat belt on which is annoying as I have to drive across our biggish yard and open the gate to get out. So it's seat belt on, drive 20yds, seatbelt off, get out and open gate, seat belt on, drive through gate, belt off, close gate, belt on and away. Grrrr. I'm hanging onto my own elderly but non-bossy manual car for as long as possible...

JackyB Sat 21-Apr-18 10:37:44

As I regularly visit the UK and have hire cars for a few days each time, it is pot luck whether you get an automatic or not. However, I haven't had this problem, whilst hopping from manual to automatic, or from left-hand drive to right-hand drive, but I suspect I may tuck one foot behind the other, too.

PamelaJ1 Sat 21-Apr-18 00:49:25

We have both too. No problem at home in Norfolk. There aren’t many steep hills but when we visit my DH’s family I’d much prefer my automatic for those hill starts. We’re usually in his because it’s bigger than my mini. He has a button instead of a proper brake and I can’t the hang of it.

M0nica Fri 20-Apr-18 21:12:13

We have both. My car is manual DH's are automatic. I find I switch from one to the other without even noticing. When I went to go to a class this morning my car had a flat battery. I just got into D's car and away I went. After lunch drove my car to Halfords to get a new battery fitted. I never even thought about it, until I saw this thread.

MaizieD Fri 20-Apr-18 10:51:24

Oh heavens, the involuntary emergency stop! I've done that, too, Fennel; very disconcerting.

At some points over the past 30+ years we've had a manual care and an automatic (DP's company car was sometimes an automatic). Apart from the odd involuntary emergency stop I never found it a problem switching from one to the other but I didn't like the way an automatic seemed less responsive. Perhaps they're better now.

And yes, OP, keep your left foot well away from the pedals!

Fennel Fri 20-Apr-18 10:22:23

Good news - I drove to Tesco and back this morning!
And I've worked out the reason for the left foot on the brake. In a manual car, when stopping temporarily, I used to instinctively hit the clutch pedal with my left foot to avoid stalling. So in an automatic the brake suddenly goes on.
As in an emergency stop (memories of driving test.)

Niobe Tue 17-Apr-18 20:33:31

We bought an automatic 17 years ago and still have one. Sometimes I borrow my son's manual car. Don't have any problems driving either but the auto is definitely easier to drive. E.g. No roll back when moving off on a slope, the car does all the work.

gmelon Tue 17-Apr-18 20:19:34

suedonim Feel better now. Rally drivers eh? grin Quite liking the sound of that.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Apr-18 08:07:29

Has anyone regretted switching to an automatic I wonder?

SueDonim Mon 16-Apr-18 23:22:37

I've Googled that Gmelon as I hadn't thought of it before! It seems it's not illegal and at least one commentator, Honest John, advocates it for manoeuvres. It's also a technique used by rally & racing drivers. grin

gmelon Mon 16-Apr-18 22:12:11

Ummmmm.
I've been using my left foot for the brake. I didn't know I was doing it wrong.
I had to give up manual and have been driving an automatic for past seven years.
Wrongly. shock
I honestly did not know.

Deedaa Mon 16-Apr-18 22:02:26

When we first had an automatic DH told me to tuck my left foot behind the other leg. I did it for a couple of weeks until I got used to not using it. Now I never even think about it.

Bluegal Mon 16-Apr-18 18:03:30

Haha do any of you remember the tv adverts that promoted the invention of automatics? I do!! At the time I couldn’t drive anyway but remember them saying “leave your left leg on floor” or words to that effect. Now I have a manual car but drive an automatic for work. I find it very easy swapping between the two ... I must admit I LOVE the automatic- feels like a dodgem ???

Fennel Mon 16-Apr-18 17:55:27

And BTW I was quite surprised when a well known motor insurance company agreed to cover me, at my age (82) even though I had an accident 2 years ago. Resulting in car being a writeoff but TG no-one hurt.

Fennel Mon 16-Apr-18 17:51:28

So many people with the same problem - I'm amazed! And relieved too.
So thanks for all the advice, I'll try to persevere and keep that left foot tucked away. Or take my shoe off.

silverlining48 Mon 16-Apr-18 17:00:16

We thought we were happy with a manual but got an automatic a few years ago. Wish we had changed over before, it’s heaven never having to do a hill start. You will get used to it quickly I am sure. If I coukd so can you. Enjoy.

Nanabilly Mon 16-Apr-18 16:59:48

I loved driving our automatic when we had one but I did find it a problem at first but I just let my left leg flip off to the side and quickly got used to it ....and then we got a manual again now that WAS a problem and it lasted a for a bit longer than manual to automatic.

humptydumpty Mon 16-Apr-18 16:50:40

merlot I agree; drove my DB's automatic car for a while and kept left foot on the car floor, worked for me. The only thig that took a bit of getting used to was having to allow more time to get into traffic at roundabouts etc. maybe automatics have improved since then, and would definitely choose one when my manual needs replacing.