Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What was your last "senior" moment?

(84 Posts)
NanaEm Fri 04-May-18 11:53:34

I was puzzled yesterday when I couldn't get through to my garage on my mobile. I checked the telephone number on my iPad and tried again, the number was correct apart from the fact that the first zero was missing. Penny dropped, I was using the calculator keypad on my mobile !!!

Seaside22 Sun 06-May-18 19:05:32

I was getting in the car with arms full of things to take with me, I put a pair of shoes on the roof while I unlocked the car , then drove off with the shoes still there, I had a driver behind me flashing his lights and pointing, I had no idea why, but pulled over, got out and discovered why !

SparklyGrandma Sun 06-May-18 12:59:20

My central heating control is 4 footsteps from where I am sitting now, typing this. An evening last week, got up, switched heating off, walked 4 footsteps, asked myself ‘kDid I switch the heating off?’’ And had to take 4 footsteps back to check!

Longdistancegrnny Sun 06-May-18 12:49:49

Met a friend for dinner the other evening and on our way to the pub I stopped and said "Look at those beautiful poppies!" She looked puzzled at the garden we were passing - the flowerbed was full of tulips! In my defence they were red! Mind you the chat that evening was full of the usual 'You know, what's her name, that road near the church, what's it called' type of conversation from both of us!

fourormore Sun 06-May-18 09:43:21

Bank cards don't double up as bus passes either! grin

annodomini Sun 06-May-18 09:36:25

Yesterday, the main reason for going to Waitrose was to buy Ceylon leaf tea. I bought several other items ... but not tea. blush. Now I have to have Earl Grey for breakfast.

Shesanana Sun 06-May-18 09:20:55

I was in Tesco at the self service till trying to scan my Tesco Club Card muttering about the stupid scanner. A nice young shop assistant came to my rescue. “That’s a Morrison’s card madam” he said blush

NanKate Sun 06-May-18 07:52:48

Hi JanT8 I use my Alexa to listen to the radio. I can verbally switch her on and off, increase and decrease the sound just using my voice.

I have typed up an extensive list of music I like and as the mood takes I might just say to Alexa ‘play me some relaxing music, or music by Paul Simon, Ed Sheran, 60s music’. Sometimes when I’m sitting quietly I ask her to play me a 5 minute guided meditation. She can give you a weather forecast too. I wouldn’t be without her, she resides in 3 rooms in our house !

NanKate Sun 06-May-18 07:45:25

Love it Milly.

I like a good strong cuppa in the morning. Mine looked decidedly weak today, yes you are right I didn’t put a tea bag in the cup, what a wally ?

millymouge Sat 05-May-18 22:56:14

I drove the car to the wood yard to get something for DH who was doing some work in the house. Got the wood, paid for it and got back in the car. Having sat there for a couple of minutes I realised I was sitting in the passenger seat. Had to get out and go round to the drivers seat so I could go home.

Allygran1 Sat 05-May-18 22:41:15

Thanks Grannypauline for the statin feedback.
I have looked the research up on line about memory loss, it can be significant memory loss which is shocking. There are also other medications that can be tried if the cholesterol is very high, if there are any side effects. I wonder how many people know all this.

Thanks for the porridge steer, I have also read up on this now, and your right, it has great properties for reducing cholesterol and maintaining blood sugars. Thats for breakfast and before going to bed tomorrow and thereafter.
Thanks again.

JanT8 Sat 05-May-18 21:18:07

Could someone please explain the benefits of an ‘Alexa’ ?
‘Fraid I don’t get this.

00mam00 Sat 05-May-18 21:17:32

How lovely to read a thread where everyone accepts that senior moments are a part of life and not a sign of dementia. Even my children in their 40s get ‘senior moments’. Our brains are constantly multi tasking with technology, gadgets, etc., I think we all do amazingly well.

EllieRose43 Sat 05-May-18 20:46:05

At the checkout in a local supermarket I paid with my credit card and put in my pin number when requested. It didn't work. Tried again but still no luck. Feeling very embarrassed at the hold up I was causing I felt even worse when I realised I had been putting in the last digits of my phone number!

Greyduster Sat 05-May-18 20:40:12

When we were out walking today I took out my phone and couldn't understand why the screen had gone green and I couldn’t read anything. I fiddled around with it and finally asked my SiL to help. He just reached out and removed my sun glasses and hey presto!

Nanny41 Sat 05-May-18 19:23:04

In a Motorhome on holiday in Germany yesterday we were staying in. Camping park I rang to book Two more night at the next place we planned on staying when I puttar phone down I realised I had booked where we were staying I had to ring and explain and apologise for my senior moment

Grandmama Sat 05-May-18 18:34:03

I filled up the coffee jar this morning - only I filled up the cafetiere not the coffee jar.

Saggi Sat 05-May-18 18:21:04

'Second attempt'

Saggi Sat 05-May-18 18:20:41

This morning ..... went out to buy a birthday card for my friend who will be 70 next Tuesday. Came back with bread milk and a newspaper!! Finially got it at scone attempt and wrote it out and posted it here and then in the supermarket! If it's late I'll blame the bank holiday on Monday!

GrammaH Sat 05-May-18 18:14:23

Oh gracious lovingit, yours is priceless! I laughed out loud & shed a few tears of sheer joy! Brilliant!

grannypauline Sat 05-May-18 17:27:42

I loved reading all these messages as, you see, I have had this kind of very poor memory all my life! I forget names, faces, numbers, places dates etc etc. There's still a big panic in my tum when I realize I've lost something very important. But mostly I've coped for 73 years and of course nowadays a lot of docs etc can be reprinted. Things can be replaced and of course I can read a book twice and see a film a second time without remembering all of the plot or ending.

The DVLA were particularly nice and helpful when I thought I'd binned docs.

As regards statins, my brother is losing his (was much better than mine) memory on them and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that this is a side effect. Porridge will also lower cholesterol - works for me, though my memory hasn't improved!!

Legs55 Sat 05-May-18 17:03:00

I frequently find myself thinking "have I locked the car" usually when I can't go back & checkhmm

Last night I took the key out of the door leading in from my garden, this morning I put the key in the lock & wondered why I couldn't unlock the door, door had been unlocked all night (this isn't the first timegrin).

When I woke up this morning I was convinced it was Sunday & my first thought was "oh dear I forgot to put my plastic box out for the paper delivery man to put my papers in", I walked into my hallway & there were Saturday papers on the mat (through the letterbox as normal)

thuberon Sat 05-May-18 16:59:47

I parked my car and went to the dentist. After my appointment I returned to the car and couldn't get the door to unlock. No light, nothing. Rang DH who said he would come. While I was waiting a woman came out of the house nearest to where the car was parked, used her key, the door unlocked and she got in and drove off. I was completely gobsmacked till I realised my grey car was parked just one along from the one that had just been driven off. They weren't even the same make, just the same colour. Doh!

minxie Sat 05-May-18 15:52:27

This maybe a spec saver moment than a senior moment or both. I told the cat off who was lying on the bed to get off. On closer inspection I was scolding a pair of jeans

Laurie54 Sat 05-May-18 15:27:20

Think I may well still having it.confused

sarahellenwhitney Sat 05-May-18 15:26:22

When wasn't mine more like.
I forget on many occasions I am thinking out loud. Most recent was getting to the front of Tesco with my trolley, stopping and saying 'did I lock the car'? A kind passer by stopped and asked me if they could help?